d17a1 block with d17a2 head - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 08:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Question d17a1 block with d17a2 head

i was looking at the price of a vtec head and i found one for 300 $ i was wondering in order for vtec to actually work on a d17a1 do you need a complete replacement computer like AEM standalone, or if you could get the stock one remapped for vtec or if you could use a computer from a d17a2:
nelson_honda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Several options to do this.

Standalone

Kpro or AEM EMS will obviously control your new VTEC, while not cost effective, they make the most sense from a build foundation standpoint. Once either is installed, all you need is to run the wire from the VTEC solly to a new pin in the new ECU, get it tuned and done. Also the most expensive.

Piggybacks

Apex VAFC and AEM F/IC can both control a VTEC solenoid.

Stock ECU

Yup, swap in an EX ECU, and either swap in an EX engine harness or run wires for both the VTEC solenoid and oil pressure switch. As long as you are an 02 (maybe 03) or newer LX, you should already have an EGR setup (the 2001s did not). The trick with this one is that you have to get the key flashed to match the new ECU. Basically do, the swap, drive to the dealer in limp mode with the LX ECU installed and the EX ECU with you. Prove that you own the vehicle, pay the dealer $80 to match the new ECU to your key and drive away.

Stock D17A1 ECU can not be remapped.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 09:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

i believe my car is a 2005 dx would i have an EGR setup? and no local shop could proably do this it would be dealer thing right ? also does the ex computer or (si in Canada) elimanate speed cut?

Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelson_honda View Post
i believe my car is a 2005 dx would i have an EGR setup? and no local shop could proably do this it would be dealer thing right ? also does the ex computer or (si in Canada) elimanate speed cut?

not sure, i would say yes on the egr....

you must go to a honda franchise...

no it will not take off your limiter, triple digit speeds are not for street driven cars anyway

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

so i will proably wait till i get a deal on a ecu and head from an Si (Ex)
Old 01-03-2010, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

i dont know about that lol i live in a very unpupulated area with lots of long straight roads if used correctly 200 km/s is not that dangerous
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

not really gonna get into the discussion. i will just say that our cars were not designed to be pushed hard above 100 miles an hour. look at the speed rating on our stock tires.

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2010, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

If there is a black can with a plug in it on the passenger side of your head, you have an EGR valve. As I stated in your earlier thread, the EX (Canuck Si) does not have a speed limiter.

If you're going to have a shop do your head swap, then bend over because they will charge you an arm, a leg, and a shot at your cornhole.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-04-2013, 03:36 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Hey im new to all this quick question.
Im replacing my d17a2 block with a d17a1, I blew it.Which is the reason why im swapping. Anyways, do I need to buy a d17a1 Head Gasket or do i Buy the d17a2 head gasket? Its a d17a2 head on a d17a1 block.

Thanks
JDM EM2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #10 (permalink)
nub
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 13 nub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to allnub is a name known to all

Same part number for both.
nub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
d17a1, vtec, vtec head

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in