D17 piston information? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2009, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Default D17 piston information?

Looking for some information on the DX/LX D17 pistons.

zeal lists dish/height information for the EX/Si piston (PLR-A00) but nothing for the PLM-A00

and speaking of the PLR-A00, it looks like it has been superceded by 13010-PSA-G00. Anyone got info on the PSA-G00??

Dome/Dish, comp height, maybe even pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2009, 04:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
No Tune No Life!

Rep Power: 18 Drag4life723 is hot as a volcanoDrag4life723 is hot as a volcano
Drag4life723 is hot as a volcanoDrag4life723 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drag4life723

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
Looking for some information on the DX/LX D17 pistons.

zeal lists dish/height information for the EX/Si piston (PLR-A00) but nothing for the PLM-A00

and speaking of the PLR-A00, it looks like it has been superceded by 13010-PSA-G00. Anyone got info on the PSA-G00??

Dome/Dish, comp height, maybe even pictures?

I have torn both apart and they did not look to be different i have a dx bottom in chillin right here though if that helps i can send you a piston.

it is a dish the ex and dx were identical to the eye except for the valve reliefs. the GX is the only one that is way different because it has a small dome!
D16Z6 12.5:1cr [email protected] NA [email protected] 55shot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Drag4life723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Classic Man

Rep Power: 59 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

im trying to get my hands on a set of the GX pistons. they are perfect. perhaps shave a little off the deck..

i just dont want to get a dx/lx block and have too low of CR. trying to avoid machine work here.

if i can just take any ol D17 that comes around id be set.

right now i got one of our honda buyers to see if he can get me a sample set of GX pistons
Quote:

Old 12-17-2009, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 27 Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!Aquafina is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 27 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Aquafina

Pretty sure I've got a used set. Not up to date on my D17 trim stuff, but its a non-VTEC so I assume its a DX/LX. I'll have to look around in my boxes of pistons/rods.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rocket Motorsports, MFactory, Torco, Action Clutch, HASport, Synchrotech, OS Giken, Gear-X, Wavetrac, Quaife
Official MFactory North American Installer

Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)
Classic Man

up to CC'n the dish?
Quote:
Old 12-18-2009, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

Dan,

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...tml#post740044

I might have the GX info at home.

sql_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 11:25 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 17 sql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow upsql_civic is about to blow up

I still don't have the GX dish/dome displacement but the C/R for th GX engine is 12.5:1 as compared to 9.5:1 for a D17A1.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:26 AM   #8 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

From Heeltoe...

Factory compression numbers are given as, 9.5:1 for the D17A1, 9.9:1 for the D17A2.

The PLR clearly has a bit less dish due to the raised quench pad on the exhaust side.

My build is currently sitting on the bench with PLM 75mm pistons. I'll see if I can cc them for you if you are interested. Based on playing around with Zeal, I assume they will end up in the -7cc range.

The factory pieces are probably superior to aftermarket ones if you can use them. I'll try to find my source, but I remember hearing they have a special low-friction coating on the skirts that other D pistons don't have. They also have the narrowest ring package at 1.0mm, 1.2mm, 2.0mm.
'90 Mazda Miata - Weekend Fun Car
'04 Toyota Prius - Wife / family car
shifty35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 11:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Ya gotta love this post - full of almost correct info

Honda-Tech - View Single Post - D17 Stroker/New Porject

The whole thread might be worth reading.

GX pistons have a 21mm pin so there's that.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:44 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 16 shifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to allshifty35 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
GX pistons have a 21mm pin so there's that.
The 98-00 GX pistons are 21mm... the 01-05 PDN pistons are the standard 19mm. 21mm pin on a 27mm compression height piston doesn't leave a lot of room for rings.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:56 AM   #11 (permalink)
Classic Man

awesome info. thanks everyone.
Quote:
Old 12-18-2009, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sql_civic View Post
Dan,

https://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...tml#post740044

I might have the GX info at home.
Very interesting to hear the Jim has been pushing 250 whp on the D17 rods. I'd been thinking I would limit myself to ~200 whp on my build, but if he's got experience with pushing them that hard, I may do it to.

Must resist temptation to rev much past 7k on these 94.4mm cranks...
Old 12-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

The build should be plenty fun for daily driving without reving.

Jim's long since sold his setup and moved on to another project. His stock rods may have eventually given way over time. Who knows?

Old 12-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
No Tune No Life!

Rep Power: 18 Drag4life723 is hot as a volcanoDrag4life723 is hot as a volcano
Drag4life723 is hot as a volcanoDrag4life723 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 26 reviews
Send a message via AIM to Drag4life723

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty35 View Post
The 98-00 GX pistons are 21mm... the 01-05 PDN pistons are the standard 19mm. 21mm pin on a 27mm compression height piston doesn't leave a lot of room for rings.
19mm they are!

every one should read this build as a starter d17!

Super D (Page 1) - Honda Engines - www.9000rpm.net
D16Z6 12.5:1cr [email protected] NA [email protected] 55shot

Drag4life723 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 01:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

OK, I found a spec sheet that lists 13010-PMS-A00 pistons from a GX as having 19mm pin, 27mm compression height, 1.5mm dome height, and 4cc dome volume.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #16 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

I ran 260whp on stock D17 rods for almost a year with no problems.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2009, 01:48 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
I ran 260whp on stock D17 rods for almost a year with no problems.
I remember you rebuilding it - what failed? Or did you just put in forged stuff when you got the new head?
Old 12-18-2009, 02:57 PM   #18 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

Long drawn out sob story. Cooked a bearing first, then put in the forged stuff. Broke a timing tensioner bolt, new stock head, moved back to the US, new PnP head, bunch of new stuff, JB Weld kicked my ass, re-ringed, re-did head, wouldn't start, gave up and parted out. Turns out it was a corrupted tune.

|
|
|
Old 12-18-2009, 02:59 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Ah, but no actual rod / piston failure at that power level.

Looks like I may get to run my 15g at full blast without fear.
Old 12-18-2009, 03:20 PM   #20 (permalink)

Nope. Rods and pistons were perfectly fine. I didn't magnaflux the rods before I sold them, but a visual inspection said they were fine.

|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.d-series.org/forums/7th-gen/122942-d17-piston-information.html
Posted By For Type Date
Project ES2 CIVIC 170i VTEC - Page 8 This thread Refback 02-05-2013 11:21 PM
Project ES2 CIVIC 170i VTEC - Page 8 This thread Refback 02-04-2013 11:54 PM