A1 & A2 Intake Manifold, differences? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 rbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 9 reviews
Exclamation A1 & A2 Intake Manifold, differences?

As the title says, is there a difference between the D17 A1 and A2 intake manifolds?

o.k. so i'm going to add a bit more info. I've been pretty interested in the plastic manifolds lately, mainly because of their lighter weight. I know there's a bit of work involved to adapt a d16 man. into a d17 and the other way around, but the weight savings from the plastic manifold is very tempting. I think I'm going to tackle this, which is why I was wondering if there is any difference between the A1 and A2 manifolds. Like the y7 and y8, I'm thinking maybe the A1 & A2 are different, but visually I can't tell.

Last edited by rbtronix; 11-19-2009 at 04:40 PM.
rbtronix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2009, 04:15 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

They're not any different and we're not looking at very much of a weight savings between say an allie Y8 mani and the plastic D17 that will outweigh the poor design of the D17 IM. 2-3 pounds at most.

The problem with the composite D17 IM is that it takes some serious bends and direction changes. In essence, it's a long tube NA manifold, however it forces the air to take an immediate 90 turn after the TB, scoots back and then makes a harsh 180 change of direction to flow back towards the head, followed by two 90 doglegs to go up and then towards the head again. While this may be decent to put a stumble in the air to provide a little better fuel atomization, that whole concept went out with carbs because of the fine spray that fuel injectors give to mix with the air stream.

Bottom is that I would not do it.

TB
|--------|
----|......|
......------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

Last edited by speedfoos; 11-20-2009 at 04:17 AM.
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2009, 06:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 rbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropesrbtronix is starting to learn the ropes

Cool, thanks for the info. The manifold definately looks like a maze for the air stream, but its hard to see from the few pictures that I was able to find. Maybe the more turbulent air coupled with the thermal advantage from the plastic will allow a much cleaner burn and hence more mpg. Only one way to find out.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 joe_d16z6 is learning the way of the Djoe_d16z6 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

yeah, might as well do it and post the results! i'd be interested to see if this does yield anything aside from lighter weight.

if you really want weight reduction, run open header with no shocks and a tiny fuel cell in the back.

joe_d16z6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2009, 01:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Well, the car will be my daily driver, I don't want it to look like a full blown race car. I'm more concerned with getting rid of weight from the engine bay. Removing the engine is not an option, although at that point it might become a nice soap box.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews

pull the ac and power steering. easy loss of more weight there than it would be to do all of that expensive modification to make intake manifolds interchangeable.
sbulldog216 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in