Coilovers or lowering springs? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Coilovers or lowering springs?

i drive an 04 civic ex and i want to drop it a little bit. not too much so its scraping off of manholes and stuff but i want it to look mean and not spend a ton of money. coil overs or lowering springs?
jsilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-13-2009, 10:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

If all you want is a little lower ride height, then I would get a different set of springs, rock them till your stock shocks blow out (they will) and then buy a set of Bilstein shocks that are made for the spring height. This way you get a cheap lower stance initially and then you can afford better shocks later on for your springs. Or just buy shocks and springs now instead of spreading it out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 10:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
If all you want is a little lower ride height, then I would get a different set of springs, rock them till your stock shocks blow out (they will) and then buy a set of Bilstein shocks that are made for the spring height. This way you get a cheap lower stance initially and then you can afford better shocks later on for your springs. Or just buy shocks and springs now instead of spreading it out.
Or you can wait untill you afford to do everything at once so its actually safe.
People cheaping out on there suspension is the dumb'est thing I read on the net.
Everything is riding on your suspension and tires, two things you should never overlook or cheap out on.

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2009, 10:56 AM   #4 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 15 Thewall is hot as a volcanoThewall is hot as a volcano
Thewall is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 14 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
Or you can wait untill you afford to do everything at once so its actually safe.
People cheaping out on there suspension is the dumb'est thing I read on the net.
Everything is riding on your suspension and tires, two things you should never overlook or cheap out on.
And the "other" thing that is constantly moving. The other other thing is the motor haha.

What is your budget, if you cheap out I would atleast get something from ebay like the godspeed coilovers where you can actually change the dampening and the spring rate or yonaka, but you can only change the spring rate. I would suggest buying a bushing kit as well, you're already down there lol.

Save your money and do it right the first time.
Thewall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Full body coiloivers FTW! But they tend to get expensive! haha
A decent set of springs wouldn't be to bad!

PROJECT1 ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!
HUSTLE HARD ALL DAY EVERYDAY!!!

91 CRX Si D15B Project iRockD'z
YourShit'sWEAK! is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemo_4321 View Post
Full body coiloivers FTW! But they tend to get expensive! haha
A decent set of springs wouldn't be to bad!
A decent set could actually be horrible. Like running a high spring rate on stock shocks...now that would juts plain blow haha.
Old 11-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 32 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Im sorry but for a DD that might see the track once and a blue moon coilovers are overkill!

And if your not going to spend at'least $1000+ on a good set then don't even bother. E-Gay coilovers for $200 bucks is not a really good option.

Just go out and get a good set of springs and ajustable shocks and take it from there.

Old 11-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

you guys know any sites that i could find some?
jsilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsilva8 View Post
you guys know any sites that i could find some?
Sure do.
www.goggle.com

Old 11-13-2009, 08:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 1 reviews

I would suggest to save your money and buy some full coilovers.. reason being you can adjust your ride height..

If you buy springs it is recommended that you change your struts too.. which will have you spending upwards of 500+ in shocks and spring setup..

Mine as well save and buy a full coilover like function and form Type 1's for around 600...
98vsm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98vsm View Post
I would suggest to save your money and buy some full coilovers.. reason being you can adjust your ride height..

If you buy springs it is recommended that you change your struts too.. which will have you spending upwards of 500+ in shocks and spring setup..

Mine as well save and buy a full coilover like function and form Type 1's for around 600...
If you like the feeling of driving on mash potatoes and feeling every single crack in the road for your DD then yes go that route.

Old 11-13-2009, 08:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Spelling owns you
Old 11-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
If you like the feeling of driving on mash potatoes and feeling every single crack in the road for your DD then yes go that route.
Or you can be a G and take your springs off...Hmmm who could've given me that idea lmao.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

good coilover sleeves like ground controls
or skunk2 springs
either ones are i think a good choice.
you dont want to go cheap cause you pay for what you get
so dont be a tight wad
Old 11-13-2009, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewall View Post
Spelling owns you
Know crazy potent hydro does.

Oh well im sure he can put in the missing "o"

Old 11-13-2009, 08:35 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Know crazy potent hydro does.

Oh well im sure he can put in the missing "o"
Hell yeah it does lol. I just wish I had some lol.
Old 11-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
gonzo

Do these actually work?
wow these are cheap
will these last me for more than a year?
and is this a better set up than
Tokico HP struts and Tien S teck springs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thewall View Post
And the "other" thing that is constantly moving. The other other thing is the motor haha.

What is your budget, if you cheap out I would atleast get something from ebay like the godspeed coilovers where you can actually change the dampening and the spring rate or yonaka, but you can only change the spring rate. I would suggest buying a bushing kit as well, you're already down there lol.

Save your money and do it right the first time.
wb123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 05:31 AM   #18 (permalink)

I know the funds arent always there when you need them, but in my honest opinion do things right the first time and dont cheap out even if you have to save up unless its absolutely mandatory you replace your stock/crap ones immediately. You will end up replacing cheap junk sooner by either upgrading it or because it wont last. Once my visa is once again paid off i'll be investing in some skunk2 coilovers. I believe the product quality is there and I dont want to have to replace them while I am the owner of the car.

Kevin
cylias is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 08:06 AM   #19 (permalink)
n00b

this is just one guys experience(me). . .but the skunk2's made the older hondas sit really well so just get that with some koni's which i hear are the shit and your good to roll. Just make sure you get the right ones, the EP3 springs fuk the stance all up on a friends o4 coupe guess they actually designed the hatch and coupe/sedan springs different unlike the older hondas
PopKorn689 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2009, 08:07 AM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 31 93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....
93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 82 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 93 red ls

i'd save up the money and do it right the first time get a nice set of full coilovers

93 red ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in