D17a2 help - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default D17a2 help

Howdy I may be new hear but im not new to the D. I need help with my newly aqquired d17 i want to run it in a 98 ej8 but, the reson i aquired this motor was it has a blown rod. It is my understanding that th y8 rotating assembly will fit in and so will the cam. but if i run the y8 cam and dizzy can I run the y8 ecu? or would if I have to get a haltech or hondata? also what parts easily swap from the y8 into the a2? thanks for the help.
ek9godzilla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-04-2009, 06:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

Very few things swap from the y8 to the d17. While it is possible, and it has been argued many times, it isn't practical at all. The d17 is a coil on plug motor, no dizzy. I don't believe the y8 rotating assembly will go into a d17 block. The d17 rotating assembly will go into the y8 though. As for your actual swap, I would try and ditch the d17 and find a y8 or something. It will be much simpler that way.
baron340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

custom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussiecustom_junky is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

^^agreed...the d17 motor, while an ok one, not the best platform for the 6th gen civic, stick with the y8 or z6...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
There's two things in life you never want people to know about you...
1. You know how to work on cars.
2. You know how to work on computers.

You my friend are cursed with this info being out in the open.
^ little truth ^

R.I.P. Milo
R.I.P. PatPrimmer
custom_junky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 06:22 PM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 22 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

not to mention the that d16 and d15s respond much better to bolt ons. i would sell it and buy a y7 or y8

Quote:
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 07:30 AM   #5 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

^ I hate that statement. Not trying to bust your balls, but a D17 responds just as well to bolt-ons as any other SOHC Honda motor - in otherwords hardly at all. I/H/E will yield just as much power on a 7th gen as a 6th gen. It's the whole OBD thing that you guys have on us and the ability to run chipped ECUs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-05-2009, 06:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
^ I hate that statement. Not trying to bust your balls, but a D17 responds just as well to bolt-ons as any other SOHC Honda motor - in otherwords hardly at all. I/H/E will yield just as much power on a 7th gen as a 6th gen. It's the whole OBD thing that you guys have on us and the ability to run chipped ECUs.
agreed the only reason you may and i say may see more gains in any sohc honda is cause the d17 ecu will tune itself around the mods for fuel economie with proper tuning it responds as well or better than the other d series and bud go for a z6 or y8 d17 in my experience are just pure garbage they dont last but not my prob anymore i bought a 09 ss\tc
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2009, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 d16asfck is learning the way of the Dd16asfck is learning the way of the D
Send a message via MSN to d16asfck

i made my search and with a y8 and d17 and sleeves a d18y8 is possible
when your shit is money up to atleast 5k if you go cheap
(d17 crank wit notch to the block to mate y8 motor d17crank custom rods'piston'sleeves oil pump adaptation bigger water pump ecu mods and datalogin 4 reliability no head work )

sql civic has done 1 na style 150hp lot ov torque real nice motor

Engine:
D16Y8 1801cc displacement
78 mm bored Darton MID open deck sleeves
D17 crank
Custom Arias pistons 10.2:1 C/R
Crower maxi lite rods
ACL bearings
Toga HV oil pump
Blox TPS
AEM adj cam gear
AEM fuel rail
Aeromotive FPR
Marshall fuel pressure gauge
Y8 Head/IM/TB/Injectors
Hondata thermal IM gasket
DIY Mild PnP
ARP Head Studs
Royal Purple 5w30
Moroso strut bar
Moroso clear blue dizzy cap
NGK High Performance Hyper Silicone Power Cables
SCO J's Racing Style air intake
Blue Samco coolant hoses
4 gauge ground wires
Kamikaze header
Vibrant Universal Metal Core Race Converter (578 CFM)
RS*R ExMag CatBack exhaust
Innovative engine mounts (street)
Spoon reservoir covers

Drivetrain:
EX tranny
Quaife LSD
Competition Clutch Stage 2 clutch
Competition Clutch 12lb flywheel
Pennzoil Syncromesh
Black SS clutch cable

EMS:
Boomslang ODBIIa->ODBI harness
P28 Hondata S300
PLX DM-5 AFR WB O2 sensor

IRISH
BLOOD

HELLAFLUSH
hawt! but stupid.
just like blonds...

blah,blah,blah.......well fuck you

EG8
EJ1

Last edited by d16asfck; 08-06-2009 at 06:30 PM.
d16asfck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-07-2009, 02:55 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

Right. We all watched Carl go through his build.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in