After clutch install loud noise - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2009, 03:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default After clutch install loud noise

I installed the clutch and now it makes this horrible noise. It sounds like something is rubbing against the housing. Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the video:YouTube - 2004 Honda Civic VP

I put in a 7lb Fidanza flywheel, and a stage 1 competition clutch.

Now I haven't driven my car in two months please help!
Drjvic04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2009, 04:39 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect

rubing is a loose term that shit is knocking i would rip it apart and find the problem, grounded had a rubing on his d17 before and it was just the flywheel cover rubbing but sounded nothing like yours good luck on that
2ndgengsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 05:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

its the pos 7lb flywheel.

nah..lemme watch this video..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

teamdohc.org
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 05:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 13 2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect2ndgengsr  is slowly gaining respect

i had a 8lb flywheel and never heard anything like this
2ndgengsr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 05:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

sweet bejezuz thats sounds horride

That sounds more consistant with a engine problem. Did you break a piston or something.

Lukefsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie

wow........wtf did you do? sounds like a bolt hitting somthing, but if that was a steel bolt hitting aluminum housing, it wouldnt continue to sound like that, aluminum would break off till gone... hummm...bone?

teamdohc.org

Old 05-11-2009, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
insert user title here

Rep Power: 51 drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !drunkinmaster1 is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to drunkinmaster1 Send a message via Yahoo to drunkinmaster1

pull the tranny and inspect the flywheel.
Old 05-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Or maybe you forgot to tightend the flywheel LOL

Lukefsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 05:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

maybe you installed flywheel backwards? and rivets are hitting steel oil pan? or flywheel cover or some thin steel metal that will flex an continue to withstand the hits without breaking.. or stuck to long of a bolt in it? i dunno with the ammount ogf alcohol in me this minute, not even that much..i still cant think clear. humm thats a weird sound for just a flywheel/clutch install.

teamdohc.org

Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Remove and inspect.

Maybe you forget the pilot the pilot bearing...

If you don't know what is the pilot bearing, or if you didn't put a new pilot bearing, check if the pilot bearing is in the old flywheel.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 07:09 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Also check the starter.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 08:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
n00b

Possible fixes Ive tried so far.

I have removed the starter, and moved the flywheel to check the pressure plate bolts,they are all secure.

I have removed the splash shield behind the flywheel. The flywheel is sturdy it doesn't budge.

I have removed the trany to engine bolts and reinstalled the starter. This resulted in a louder noise. So now Im thinking that maybe the trany to engine bolts were over torqued and placed in the wrong order. So shorter bolts in the front side is making the noise? I will review the FSM and reinstall tomorrow.

Also I hadn't reinstalled the front engine mount bolts on the trany side when that video was taken.

Thanks for the suggestions please keep them coming.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

oh and the engine noise being a piston or a rod... my mechanic said the same thing. But to hear the sound its coming from the clutch housing.

There is trany fluid in the transmission.
There is oil in the motor
Old 05-12-2009, 04:26 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough91HB-D15b2 will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 1 reviews

Noise stop with the clutch pedal pushed in?

COME JOIN THE SITE AND HELP US GROW!
91HB-D15b2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 05:09 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

tranny to motor bolts dont have a certain order there all the same cept for maybe one i cant remember but this sounds like rod getting ready to be thrown but you should take another vid next time and give it somr gaz see if the noise elevates
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

No the noise doesn't stop when clutch is in. The pressing the clutch in or out doesn't effect the noise.

What about a blown spark plug? could that be the culprit?
Old 05-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #17 (permalink)
noob

z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....z6civicex It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 31 reviews

i would pull the trans back off and check everything.

z6civicex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 09:11 PM   #18 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

I'll bet the pressure plate is rubbing on the ribs of the tranny, or a PP bolt is rubbing on the engine ribs.

Pull it all back apart, look for the rub marks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2009, 09:21 PM   #19 (permalink)
I <3 TIG Welding

Rep Power: 24 9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!9295EJ-t is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 8 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 9295EJ-t Send a message via Skype™ to 9295EJ-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
I'll bet the pressure plate is rubbing on the ribs of the tranny, or a PP bolt is rubbing on the engine ribs.

Pull it all back apart, look for the rub marks.
thats what i was thinking... with a lightweight flywheel, the shit is a lot thinner.. and the stock bolts protrude out the other side a LOT!! with my 8lb'R i get about 1/4" of bolt hangin out the backside... maybe your 7lb'R is letting too much bolt hang off the inside of the flywheel...

look at the flywheel from the splash guard area, and check the bolts for wear or chunks of aluminum... lol

9295EJ-t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2009, 11:21 AM   #20 (permalink)
n00b

I took off the splash shield and looked to make sure the bolts weren't rubbing on the back side of the trany. They are all flush with the back side of the flywheel.

Im thinking this is spark plug problem, so Ill replace them today.

Oh and when I first installed the clutch and started it the pressure plate was rubbing against the trany. So I took out the starter and drove the PP bolts all the way into the flywheel. So that's the first thing I checked when this noise started.

Last edited by Drjvic04; 05-13-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in