D17 Throttle Body on d16 Mani - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 04:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to DJArmySSG Send a message via Yahoo to DJArmySSG
Default D17 Throttle Body on d16 Mani

Ok... This is probably a stupid question... but ive seen Y8 Manis on D17's but no ones seems to say if theyre runnin the stock Y8 TB or using the original D17 TB... I plan on sending my Y8 Mani to the welder and having it made to fit.... Just wanted to know if i'd have to modify the TB too!
DJArmySSG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

you need to cut off the tb flange off the y8 mani and have a custom flange made and welded on.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Went Boost - Blew Auto Trans
In Progress -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
supafil25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2009, 07:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 unevolved is learning the way of the Dunevolved is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

And by "custom" he doesn't mean a piece of sheet metal cut with a torch. It's going to have to have the IACV passageways machined in. Not going to be cheap.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Its very cheap.

I did the y8 swap long time ago.

The best form I found to do it is to use any k24 or k20 (wire) tb for it becuase it have the TPS, MAP and IAC that fit on your on your stock wire harness. But you will need to cavrve/make passeges for them. The only thing that doen't fit is purge valve, but you can run a hose for it (very easy). Also a longer hose is needed for the PCV valve. Its very cheap. The k20/k24 tb is bigger than the d17 tb, so its up to your decision.

The k24 tb fit on the y8 manifold, but with the thorttle wire to the firewall, so its a lot better to have a flange made for the tb.

Also the stock d17 fuel rail doesn't have the mounting bolts in the same place as the y8,so you have to build supports for it; and if you are running a turbo, the d17/k20 injectors are norrower than the y8.

About make it to fit the head, just open a little bit two of the upper bolt holes and it fit.

For the d17 tb, also a flange is needed.

Search those... or ask anything. Its very very easy...

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...78#post1542978

https://www.d-series.org/forums/showt...91#post1139791

P.S.
After you make the y8 manifold fit, you will have to tune it... The y8 manifold flows more air than d17... If stock tunig it will be lean at low rpm.
For idle, after you set tb, the stock ECU will do the rest, but from stop, you need to add fuel and/or advance ignition timing...

Ask or PM anything...

Last edited by gmcuajo; 02-12-2009 at 09:42 PM.
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Wow... Very informative.... That doesnt seem to be hard at all.. The only thing im wondering is if I can cut the d17 TB flange off and have it welded to the Y8.... Seems like if thats possible, that'll be the easiest course of action... and as far as extending and running the hoses and lines... that seems to be tooo easy! But thanx again gmcuajo... U ROCK
Old 02-13-2009, 03:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

There is no TB flange on the D17 IM. The IM is plastic.

One thing that gmcuajo left out (but is probably in the threads he linked) is that you have to block off the coolant port on the bottom right (tranny side) of the Y8 IM. It lines up with an EGR port on the D17 head.

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 04:02 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hmmmmm so will that eliminate the EGR function? But it is a pretty easy conversion though right foos? Oh and do u happen to know any good welders around here.... or know where i could buy one for pretty cheap... I need to get me one...
Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

No it won't eliminate the EGR function, you just won't have the channels on the IM like the D17 does since you won't be running the D17 injector plate.

If I knew where a cheap TIG welder was I would have bought one already. But as far as where to find a good welding shop, check out TBC in downtown Faye.

http://www.tbcworks.com/

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2009, 04:10 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 unevolved is learning the way of the Dunevolved is learning the way of the D

If you have an EX, you have to have a way to work around the EGR system. The stock ECU will flip out and the car won't run right if it detects an EGR flow error. The simplest way is to use aftermarket management, although that's not cheap. The EGR valve was the reason I sold my Y8 manifold to a friend with Kpro.
Old 02-13-2009, 05:24 AM   #10 (permalink)

Wow... U guys are a plethora of knowledge.... I bow before the awesomeness!!! God i cant wait to get my turbo back from rebuild!!!! I think imma put it on soon... Then when i get my pistons, rods, valves, springs, retainers and blockguard, imma pull it all apart and beef it up for more boost!!! Thanx again guys!
Old 02-13-2009, 05:38 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfoos View Post
There is no TB flange on the D17 IM. The IM is plastic.

One thing that gmcuajo left out (but is probably in the threads he linked) is that you have to block off the coolant port on the bottom right (tranny side) of the Y8 IM. It lines up with an EGR port on the D17 head.
I have 01 LX that doesn't have EGR... If the coolant passage lines up with the EGR passage, then maybe you can run a hose from that to the intake manifold.
Old 02-13-2009, 06:03 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcuajo View Post
I have 01 LX that doesn't have EGR... If the coolant passage lines up with the EGR passage, then maybe you can run a hose from that to the intake manifold.
It doesn't, I looked into this. It'd still throw a CEL and revert to closed-loop, I believe.
Old 02-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
It doesn't, I looked into this. It'd still throw a CEL and revert to closed-loop, I believe.
CEL=open-loop
Old 02-13-2009, 09:34 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by unevolved View Post
Did you try carving a "channel" into the manifold flange to route (or whatever) the exhaust gases into the manifold's water passages. Also this can be done to the MAP, then tune.
Old 02-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Would rerouting the exhaust gases to the Water ports on the mani do anything?? Seems like it would be kinda pointless.... It u were to just block it off wouldnt that be just as good??
Old 02-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series lover

so even if i have an lx it still have a coolant passage? wtf? but will kpro take care of that?

Went Boost - Blew Auto Trans
In Progress -
supafil25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2009, 01:59 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJArmySSG View Post
Would rerouting the exhaust gases to the Water ports on the mani do anything?? Seems like it would be kinda pointless.... It u were to just block it off wouldnt that be just as good??
Yes you can block off the EGR, but then you will have a CEL (check engine code).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in