I was tired of my transmission growling... - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2008, 06:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 4 reviews
Default I was tired of my transmission growling...

So, I pulled it out and fixed it. Having a lift and air tools at my disposal made it a pretty easy job. Took about 3.5hrs start to finish. Anyway....

The first pic is of the front mainshaft bearing.

notice all the balls are bunched up to one side. This was the source of the growling. I had to go through the case and remove pieces of plastic from that bearing.

I don't have a pic of me removing the bearing, but I just used a slide hammer with a hook on it.

That is the pic of the new bearing. Notice the plastic piece separating the balls inside the bearing.

That's just a random pic of my gear set lol.
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 11 unevolved is learning the way of the Dunevolved is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 2 reviews

Impressive. Wish I had a reason to tear apart my transmission.
unevolved is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
Live,love,laugh,be real

Rep Power: 39 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 20 reviews

how much are those bearings

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags

04' Pilot EXL - Black Pile - Love it

is your friend, try it

[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 smellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to allsmellslikerice is a name known to all
iTrader Score: 2 reviews
Send a message via AIM to smellslikerice

when i took my transmmission case off of my old one just to look at the damage, all of those ball bearings fell out everywhere....there was a sludge of shredded metal everywhere and random gear tooths lying around and metal shavings in every crevice...
smellslikerice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
Brokedick Millionaire

Rep Power: 108 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

typical ISB failure, got anymore pics of the tranny?

I've never had a 7th gen tranny apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 08:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to andyman97

I've seen what happens when that goes for too long without being addressed. Not pretty. Nice work tho :tup:
andyman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

iTrader Score: 4 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
typical ISB failure, got anymore pics of the tranny?

um...only a couple pics...I didn't pull gears of the shafts or anything...

Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 16 labatt2k will become famous soon enoughlabatt2k will become famous soon enoughlabatt2k will become famous soon enough
iTrader Score: 3 reviews

i wish the gear from the d17 would fit in a d16 box...
labatt2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2008, 08:04 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 blackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebodyblackDseries is almost a somebody
iTrader Score: 0 reviews

very common problem with the trannys. i have personally replaced at least 15 sets of mainshaft bearings in just the last 5 years or so. everyone that is hard on thier car will need it done eventually. stripping the shafts down is a little more tedius. LOTS of parts , lol. tearing the countershaft gearsets down can be even more of a pain. sometimes they slide right off not too bad. sometimes you need heat and/or a press.

blackDseries is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in