Newb needing help D17 a/t potential? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction 7th Gen

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Newb needing help D17 a/t potential?

Hey ive got a d17 non vtech with an automatic transmission (04 civic lx)
i was wondering what the potential of this setup is i was considering a standard tranny swap but decided it isnt something i need just a want and gettin a new honda isnt an option at this moment (payments= grrrrrr).
anyways a possible list of mods or setups i am not looking for godly amounts of whp just somethin better than what it puts out that i can actually race with.
any help is appreciated!
skaterdude04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2008, 11:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
n00b

Im mostly just looking to get started tuning and play around with this till i have the knowledge to progress towards another honda build.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:07 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 13 BLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropesBLACK-KNIGHT is starting to learn the ropes
iTrader Score: 30 reviews

Pay the car off and get another project or pay the car off then mod it or swap it.
BLACK-KNIGHT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 14 jamisgood is learning the way of the Djamisgood is learning the way of the D
Send a message via AIM to jamisgood

Well you unfortunately have two things going against you on this purchase: 1) it is a d17a1 2) it is an auto

If you look at my sig you will see what i have on my 7th gen. It is simple, mild performance adders like you mentioned and it definately made it more fun to drive, but nothing riveting surely. (and mine is manual)

Tein Basic Damper Coilovers
Fujita CAI
HP Racing 4-1 Ceramic Header
de-catted exhaust
16" Grid Full Royal Sport Bronze Rotas
2 1/4" custom exhaust
Lightened Flywheel
Apexi Neo
D17A2 engine
jamisgood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 02:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano89s1 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Vtech makes phones. It's Vtec for future reference

I suggest you do i/h/e. Then, when its still piss slow, swap a k20 into it or get a better platform to start from.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
89s1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2008, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Send a message via AIM to 01_civic

feed it a bottle! lol just get i/h/e. i have an auto too, its ok. dont expect it to be a rocket or anything, but its sure better driving with i/h/e!

["I'd Rather Drive a Slow Car Fast, Than a Fast Car Slow!
01_civic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 AM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to andyman97

Deprnds on what you'd be happy with...
andyman97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 04:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Default ok

so say i get a random thought to just roll what i got
for minor increases instead of JUST i/h/e cuz on a d17 that wont help much
say i were to get ahold of some new cams, valves and a mild street tune would that give me a lil more power than the supposed stock 115hp? and i know get another car and such. this is a time killer and sorry for horrible typing i have a busted hand. woot rollerblading ftw!
thanks and sorry fer newb questions but gotta learn some how
Old 11-30-2008, 06:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 25 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 22 reviews

You only have one cam.

I/H/E + cam + kpro + tuning + valve springs and retainers = around $3200

|
|
|
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #10 (permalink)

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

its an auto d17. what the hell are you gonna race and actually win?????? keep the car stock so its not another annoying ass automatic fart cannon running around killing people. find a real car to mod. 88-00 honda. you will be 100% wasteing your money trying to do anything to it.1 reason, its a d17, but the main reason...its an AUTO...that gearing alone just takes any and all the fun out of driving it. take our word...leave it bone stock..find a real honda. unless you wanna spend $3200 for 30whp that you wont even feel from your shit ass gearing.

teamdohc.org
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!

sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2008, 10:31 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hondata K-Pro or AEM EMS wont work on the automatic transmission. You'll be looking at a piggy back engine computer to tune. Only really fast solution with the automatic is turbocharge it. Boost favors tall gears and you'll be on boost all the time without the need to release the throttle between shifts (can be done on a manual with an anti lag tune, but it's very complicated to setup and you'll probably end up with a cracked exhaust manifold). Powertrain Control Solutions does make an automatic transmission controller. Hasn't been done on the D17 yet, but there was some talk awhile back about trying it.
Old 11-30-2008, 11:16 AM   #12 (permalink)

sick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussiesick1camcivic is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 5 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikkaco0 View Post
Hondata K-Pro or AEM EMS wont work on the automatic transmission. You'll be looking at a piggy back engine computer to tune. Only really fast solution with the automatic is turbocharge it. Boost favors tall gears and you'll be on boost all the time without the need to release the throttle between shifts (can be done on a manual with an anti lag tune, but it's very complicated to setup and you'll probably end up with a cracked exhaust manifold). Powertrain Control Solutions does make an automatic transmission controller. Hasn't been done on the D17 yet, but there was some talk awhile back about trying it.
in other words what i said and everyone else considering you just got it off the car lot i highly doubt you are looking to turbocharge and break a new civic. piggy back and turbo auto is just asking to ruin both engine, and transmissionl...sounds like a hell of a plan!!! and yeah the turbo might favor long gears cause its just spools an spools...but acceleration does not. or else everyone would be runnning DX/cx/lx trannys. and LS and non vtec h series trannys. but torque wins races, so shorter gearing is in favor. but thats here nor there.

teamdohc.org
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!

Last edited by sick1camcivic; 11-30-2008 at 11:19 AM.
sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2008, 05:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
n00b

leave the car stock... the car you bought was ment to be reliable and to make sure u always get where your heading to.. thats as much as i would use it for, as it was for any types of mods, you need a better platform.

d17a1 with i/h/e is not worth the effort in an automatic trim.

but if u want, start with those mods,
Bulletman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

just do an auto to manual conversion youl feel like you got 60 whp more .... feel is the keyword here lol
2001 silver acura el d17a2 no badges/aem cai/skunk2 ss cat back system/magnaflow high flow cat converter/headman headers/16 inch aftermarket honda wheels wrapped in hancook ventus 205 45 16/tein ss full coilover suspension w pillow mounts/megan racing camber kit/clarion pro audio touch screen deck(not worth 600$) alpine 15inch type r sub w/ clarion amp rated at 830 rms
01elto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LittleCivicThatCould Send a message via MSN to LittleCivicThatCould

I ask why you bought a newer honda with a auto? For the money you spent on it you could have older honda, that still looks nice, manual, and have money left over to tune her up. Thats my 2 cents those.
Quote:
naked pics of 13-16 year old trannys not loading

<<< Thats alot of sex
LittleCivicThatCould is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 07:33 PM   #16 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to superdewey58

yea your not gonna be happy with urself if u drop 3 g'2 into it for maybeeeeeee 20 hp

which will feel slow in 3-4 weeks time, trust me.

any major mod u do requires i/h/e

auto is definitely against you too, the only thing that will get that heavy car moving is nitrous. but even still, our 7th gens are heavy and i chose to stay away from nitrous for this car b/c your not gonna be able to make the car one that dominates lol. unless u have a large budget.

but if your goal is to learn and to be proud of what you will be driving for the next few years, do w/e you want and learn from your mistakes!

do u live in south florida
Quote:
What happend to the hood? Looks like a fat girl jumped on it.
superdewey58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2008, 10:05 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

AEM cam gear, retard some degrees, and a 50hp shot

nothing more
gmcuajo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2008, 08:03 AM   #18 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LittleCivicThatCould Send a message via MSN to LittleCivicThatCould

I say swap in a motor from a NSX (If thats possible, heard it is but IDK) nitrous, twin turbo, and cams........ Thats the only way it will go fast. There to heavy.... There like my old 1989 Lincoln TownCar. Wait no it would probably out run that civic.
Quote:
naked pics of 13-16 year old trannys not loading

<<< Thats alot of sex
LittleCivicThatCould is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 05:27 AM   #19 (permalink)
i shoot stuff

superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....superdewey58 It's a JDM Star Bitches....
iTrader Score: 7 reviews
Send a message via AIM to superdewey58

no better yet, get a 6.6 duramax diesel! they already come turboed and then you can add NAWZ

do u live in south florida
Quote:
What happend to the hood? Looks like a fat girl jumped on it.
superdewey58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2008, 08:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCivicThatCould View Post
I say swap in a motor from a NSX (If thats possible, heard it is but IDK) nitrous, twin turbo, and cams........ Thats the only way it will go fast. There to heavy.... There like my old 1989 Lincoln TownCar. Wait no it would probably out run that civic.
where do you get this crap from? the 7th gens are heavier than older civics, but still a relatively light car when you are talking about power to weight ratios. have you ever even seen an nsx, much less the motor, those engines are f'ing huge. that thing will fit in a civic just as easily as an LS1. a decent turbo setup on a 7th gen will outrun mustangs all day long, yeah maybe not a heavily modded one, but still mustang owners get really pissed off when they cant outrun a wee little 4 banger.

but seriously... a manual trans swap and start building a turbo setup, you're good to go
baron340 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
automatic, d17, i is poop buyer, non vtech

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in