Honda D Series Forum banner

Sorry noob question about a mani!

568 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  xXsmashXx 
#1 ·
Hi all, new to the forums! I was looking into a new manifold 421 was wondering what to do with the cat? can it go under the car or would i need one specifically to go under the car? Want to avoid a decat if possible. Sorry if its silly question, new to the whole fixing up cars let alone hondas :biggrin: :sign4:

Thanks for the help in advance! :winkiss:

#2 ·
safe to assume you have a y7 style header?

you can run a 4-2-1 but you have to find a high flowing cat new, or any other d series cat that wasn't y7

#3 ·
Had a quick look just cant find them, all i seem to get is decat pipes. Is there an advantage to decat or will you just need to put one on for an mot? Im in the uk so dont know if its hardened to get that stuff here? Thanks for you help sorry if i sound dumb!

#4 ·
One of our Preludes used to go through the MoT OK with a decat. You just need to make sure it's running as it should.

On the other hand, a Civic owner near me fits his cat for the test, then takes it off. I don't know which D series he has.

#5 ·
What year? If it is a Y7 style just get a cat for after the downpipe and get a catback exhaust system and be good to go.

The cat ain't good for much in my opinion except for EPA bullshit but there is a marginal HP gain for not having a cat.

#7 ·
I have a d16y8 header that slo-eg8 shipped to me, hooked to factory style dx midpipe and muffler.

You can definitely just go header to stock exhaust.

Beware that the ebay headers do NOT like sealing properly to stock style midpipes. I suggest going to a partsstore and matching the ebay donut gasket with something a bit thicker and crushable.

Also, use spring bolts like normal exhaust. straight bolt and nut is a leak waiting to happen under the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.