Honda D Series Forum banner

D16 to D17 transaxel internals swapping?

5K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Chrisfrom1986 
#1 ·
Hey all this is my first post here

and before I ask, I just want to say I have googled this question and searched the forums but I have not found anything to do with my question which is:

Can I swap D16y7 transaxel gears in to the D17a2's transaxel? Both trannys are 5speeds and I'm asking because right now I'm not working and don't have any cash to buy a replacement for the D17 however I do have a y7 tranny laying around.

also my reason for wanting to switch the gearsets (keep in mind I have a brand new clutch set installed a week ago by myself.) is because the current transmission in my daily (an 05 EX coupe) is making some wicked noises 1st through 3rd, 4th and 5th are fine, and 3rd likes to popout of gear or just flatout refuses to engage at random. I've been driving the car like this for about 3/4 of year now and I can't take it any longer.

any help would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
from what Ive read, the y7 trans will bolt up.....so why go through the headache of swapping internals when you can just swap trans?

#3 ·
Because the D17's trans uses cables to shift, the D16y7 trans doesn't it uses the bars that go under the car. so it's not exactly a bolt in swap I would need to get custom shift bars made and cut a hole in the floor under the center console.

Believe me if I could just throw that trans in I would have and wouldn't be asking the question ;)

#5 ·
Ok so I've decided after doing more research that I'm just gonna do it and see what happens, I'll post my progress and we'll find out if indeed a y7's gears will fit a D17's manual tranny; who knows maybe this will open up new possibilities for the ugly duckling, maybe I'll fail gloriously? Only one way to find out. Catch y'all later

#11 ·
it's just an expression, chill.

That's kind of what he does. Like all the time. He builds transmissions and knows things.
yes well his second answer that stated he has tried it before is alot better than just saying "no it won't work" without a reason given as to why it is as such

Yes I know for sure, yes I've tried myself. You're welcome.
alright then; any idea what it would cost to put synchronizers in it?

#15 ·
Synchros don't/can't grind in Honda's....

Worn engagement teeth on the slider will cause pop-outs assuming the mounts are good.

synchro, slider, hub, all replaced based on inspection.

Without sliders...

Bearing Seal and Synchro KIt

With Sliders

D Series Master Rebuild Kit

Hubs not listed, hope they can be reconditioned.

To Chris and I, transmission work is easy for us, but had to explain the finer points that we just do, and we still don't know each others little "secrets" and such. I kinda envy him :)

#16 ·
Synchros don't/can't grind in Honda's....

Worn engagement teeth on the slider will cause pop-outs assuming the mounts are good.

synchro, slider, hub, all replaced based on inspection.

Without sliders...

Bearing Seal and Synchro KIt

With Sliders

D Series Master Rebuild Kit

Hubs not listed, hope they can be reconditioned.

To Chris and I, transmission work is easy for us, but had to explain the finer points that we just do, and we still don't know each others little "secrets" and such. I kinda envy him
Ahh ok, I have rebuilt a tranny before on a chevy cavalier but this is my first time diving into a honda tranny, before I spend the money on a rebuild kit could the detent springs cause the random disengaging issue? If so I'll check those first

#17 ·
The Synchrotech master rebuild kit is so cheap (money wise) it's silly not to get it. It will have everything you need minus a gear or shift fork. It includes all the bearings except for the diff, synchros, synchro springs, seals and sliders. The brass version is $350 shipped, the carbon version is $400 shipped. If it needs a gear ans fork add on another $300. The detent springs aren't causing the issue unless you removed them and screwed up the reinstallation of them. Individual parts from the rebuild kit can be ordered if you know exactly what you need which would save you a little money. When you're ready to order let me know.

#19 ·
Guaranteed junkyard trans either means they have plenty on hand and don't care to exchange them, this also means they don't value your time to R&R them or your money to pay someone else to. Or they are hobbled together using parts from multiple transmissions, usually by someone that doesn't know what they're doing.

Good luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.