Honda D Series Forum banner

New Car Audio Setup

2K views 18 replies 4 participants last post by  Hantke 
#1 ·
I got to thinking recently that I only ever use my car stereo to play pandora or music off my phone. My old stereo didn't have bluetooth. I set out on a path to simplify everything. My old head unit was a dual din Clarion NX509, I loved it, had it since 2009, never had any problems with it.

It had plenty of features that I never used like built in navigation. cd/dvd playback, dual zone listening, etc...

I only have front components and a sub, all are amplified. I got a Clarion 7-band EQ.

I've got a lot of other stuff on the way so it will look a lot nicer once im done. going to mount in in a carbon fiber panel. I also have a mount for my surface pro 3 coming, going to mount it probably where my climate controls were. The mount is from pro clips usa, hope it holds it securely. going to install a bluetooth dongle hidden behind the EQ so I can connect wirelessly with either my phone or surface pro. I also have a little bezel coming that has a voltmeter and dual usb ports, one is 1A the other is 2.1A so it will charge my phone quickly.

So far the sound quality is really nice with the EQ. I wont be missing any features from my old head unit. my phone tethered to my surface pro can handle anything. Also planning on getting an s300 to display engine parameters and be able to tune on the surface.

See less See more
#3 ·
i bought one of the android powered chinesium ones on amazon. its not great as far as audio goes but since im usually streaming from my phone its barely different at that file quality. can use any android app. has radio, bluetooth streaming, wifi to connect to your phone hotspot, back up camera, gps and so on. basically a quick and easy tablet dash.

#4 ·
I was looking into those. I got a non android one that was dual din but shallow, didnt hvae a cd/dvd drive at all. It did play any media file. The only problem was the video quality. Dont get me wrong, for the price and what i used it for in my wifes old camry to play movies gor my daughter was worth the $60. I just need a higher quality of audio and customization of the sound. So far the cost of this setup is is less than i would pay for a dual din.

$54 equalizer
$29 bluetooth adapter

Not counting all the extra stuff i had already or plan to add those 2 things are basically all you need to play music off your phone. Even if your speakers arent amplified you could pick up a vheap 4 channel amp that puts out 50w per channel

#5 ·
Got the surface pro mount, surface pro charger, bluetooth adapter, and my clock delete today. Creating a solid surface to mount the surface pro holder to was a bit tricky. Took some cutting, welding, drilling, and grinding to get it right. I had to order another bluetooth adapter, the one I got I have to press the power button each time i start my car. It just wont work since I want to hide it away. Just need to clean it up a bit, still have a few items on the way.

Pandora working. Tethering from my phone.

Also netflix, my daughter wanted to watch zootopia.

#11 ·
All done. You cant see but behind where I mounted the surface i drilled a hole in the CF plate for the charger and put a rubber grommet around it.

Mounted the cigarette socket behind the console so I can still get access to it later. There's still 1 cigarette socket and a 500ma USB port open.

#15 ·
So far so good. has 2.1A which will actually charge my iphone 7.

man that surface would be so much better than my android tablet for a dash
I've had bad experiences with android devices. The surface pro is just as fast as my home PC (6700k, 16gb ram, 250GB SSD, ETC...) when it comes to navigating through windows, websites, and running basic programs.

#18 ·
I've had bad experiences with android devices. The surface pro is just as fast as my home PC (6700k, 16gb ram, 250GB SSD, ETC...) when it comes to navigating through windows, websites, and running basic programs.

i havent had any real issues with my old nexus 7 as the dash but being able to actually change stuff in hondata without my laptop if i needed to would be pretty great

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.