Honda D Series Forum banner

Decided to do a rebuild... aftermarket bearings/plastigauge question

1K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ΩM£GA 
#1 ·
New to the forums, and well decided to ask a question since I cant find the answer here on the forums or on google..

I have a 00 civic ex manual (D16y7 block, D16y8 head. Mini me) and since ALL the gaskets on the engine were bad, well except for the head gasket, I decided to purchase the rebuilt kit from kragen.

The kit came with aftermarket bearings called "sealed power" and well since there not OEM I cant color match and need a bit of help. Ive been reading this post:

"Diy main bearings rod bearings"

(mains for this exaple only no rods)
My block has stamped "BBBBB"
And on the crank "44434"

So the questions........

So... OEM main bearings would be Brown(x4) and Green(x1).. Right? If so what gets me soo confused is how to get the exact measurments when using aftermarket bearings found on "Step Five" in the post above^^..

Lastly I know this one might be an even dumber question when using green plastigauge(.001 to .003 inch clearence and .025 to .076 Millimeter other side) were should i be hitting? Im aware that bearing 1,5 differ from 2,3,4 but ive never used plastigague before since I would color match in the past....

Help will be highly apreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
Aftermarket bearings come in STD size only, no color matching or sizing of STD when dealing aftermarket. Then numbers on the crank and block are for the main bearings. The rod bearings are usually stamped on the rod end.

The 1 & 5 main are different sizes than 2-3-4 but both have a service limit of .002.

Maybe I am not understanding what you want/need...

#4 ·
Oh ok, so .0015 for main and for rods?

@BeerDrinkin I wanted to see if i could kinda match up the standard bearings(rods too) close to the oem.. Standard bearings supposed to be the same in thickness and size, but according to kragen, a few come very slighly larfer or thinner... Dont know if its true.

Also wanted to know the clearence I should be looking for when using plastigauge, for mains, but for rods as well

#6 ·
As long as you arent too tight, it will "work", and run.

Plastigauge and make sure nothing is too tight, make sure nothing binds when its assembled, use a lot of assembly lube and you shouldnt have any problems.

#7 ·
Well got my block and head back from the machine shop, the machineshop decked the block, pressure tested the block and honed the cylinders(told me to get standard size rings). The head was resurfaced and pressure tested.

As I started the rebuild, I started installing the pistons with the new rings(Endyn) and noticed that the pistons are hard to move, although I can push them down or up by hand I takes a bit moreee force.(ring gap is within spec)

So I finished the build, all my rods/mains came within spec according to plastigauge, and torqued everything within spec aswell... Although the crank does spin without any resistance, those pistons rings sure make it hard to spin the crank by hand... Now the question is whats the BEST way to break in an engine?

#9 ·
Yeah I lubed the walls... But... Correct me if im wrong (im at work and just remembered...) you check the ring end gab near the bottom of the cylinder right?.... If so well I have to re-check again, since I checked near the top of the cylinder.... Man it sucks working all night.... Cant do **** right during the day..

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.