Honda D Series Forum banner

chattery noise with m-factory diff

3K views 18 replies 6 participants last post by  v4lu3s 
#1 ·
Purchased a transmission from a local endurance race team, they were upgrading to a B series engine.

1990 crx si transmission, m-factory diff, new bearings syncros and seals.

just installed it today.
prior owner ran honda mtf.

i dumped all that out and put torco mtf in.

i notice that downshifting to 1st gear was a bit chattery. never heard anything like that before.

should i be concerned?

#3 ·
Torsen.

I went for quick test drive in my neighborhood, 20mph speed limits. the back end has a tight turn that is more than 90 degrees, usually slightly damp and pretty ideal to tell if the lsd does what its supposed to. so at 20mph while coasting down in second i start to ease into first, lightly chattering as clutch engages, and then step on it entering the curve, chatter disappears, car pulls itself through the corner far more than the prior one wheel peel and push tot he outside.

I have never had an LSD equipped transmission before so its all n00bnees here. My buddy has a quaife, but he drives like he is running from the cops and its hard to hear anything over that...

is it possible the diff is just not happy with the remnants of the Honda MTF in there? I noticed that MFactory ONLY recommends Torco.

#7 ·
I usually do as well, but there are some occasions at very low speeds where it happens. It seems to have gone away now though, but it was also doing it going from third to second. I may change the fluid one more time since i should have just enough Torco to do so. Just in case it was the Honda MTF making for weirdness inside...

#10 ·
i have figured out it has a worn or bent 5th shift fork already after it getting "stuck" in 5th twice. looks like its a good thing i have 3 of these transmissions now...i have the original 1989 transmission, the 1990 or 1991 that is in there now, plus a 3rd that needs all new bearings that is an 89+...

#15 ·
Well regardless im rebuilding a gear stack from one of my other transmissions most likely since it has stuck in 5th twice and had to be finagled to neutral. There is also definite noise in 1st and second coasting down or downshifting and very slight in 3rd. Not worth wondering about it.

#17 ·
will do. going to take my time, the current transmission has quieted down a lot, and i have another completely disassembled on my bench (and my tired 300k mile original one is still intact in case of emergency)...

is it worth it to replace needle bearings? I see no visible signs of wear, but its not like they are brutally expensive either.

#19 ·
Sounds good. It's fun b working with the transmission parts. I'm just test fitting and playing with the parts right now. Makes me want to get a final drive to boost acceleration then do a 5th gear swap to bring rpm down for commuting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.