Honda D Series Forum banner

E85 Power gains over pump gas

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  MyblkVTEC 
#1 ·
I finally have my fuel system fully set for the E85 switch over next year. My current setup dynoed at 328whp 253ft/tq on my Go-autoworks 50 trim setup using BP 93 premium. I love the power and everything feels solid. Now, for those folks who changed over fuels, besides the quicker spool, better smelling fuel, better timing advantages... how much was your power increased overall? I hear numbers all over the place at work(due to 4, 6 and 8 cyl applications). So for those who simply changed over, how do like it and how good were the gains on your boosted setup? Any comments are appreciated! :willy_nilly:

#2 ·
Well, I had nothing to compare my numbers too because I only got an e85 tune; however, both my tuner and I saw that comparable setups on 93 oct had much less on the torque curve. I netted 400whp with 323 ft lbs, which similar 93 oct setups were only around the high 200s.

#4 ·
400/323 is really high for the torque.

I know you can get more aggressive with the timing on E85. As long as your motor can handle the additional torque, you'll see some gains. Really depends on the tuner, since that is the only thing that is changing.

#8 ·
Don't forget the fuel pump and possibly the lines themselves. I forgot the flow rate of the lines. I don't think the OP will run into that issue though. You have to pump something like 30% more E85 than gasoline, right?

http://fuelinjectorclinic.com/flow-calculator

That's a decent calculator just to compare pump gas to E85 in terms of injector required.

#7 ·
I had some talks with Tony Palo a while back. He said turbo cars see an average of 8% peak HP gains over 93 octane, but even more torque. Midrange is usually improved from all the timing you can add, anywhere from 5-10 degrees extra. Keep in mind nearly all the gains are from cooling the charge air, NOT octane. It's actually much closer to 95 octane - but that cooling effect makes it as useful as 100+ octane.

Another thing to consider is how you maintain your fuel system. Some unlucky people get their gas from "sloppy" stations. The "black goo" you may have heard of has been narrowed down to too much of the wrong additive. If this happens, you have to run a tank of E50 or lower (half E85, half E10) which will naturally absorb & clean this stuff. Note that E50 has nearly the same cooling ability as E85, so your E85 tune will still be safe (unless your tuner put you on the ragged edge of timing). A lot of Evo guys report their E85 tune being knock-free even with 50-60% ethanol content, partly because the AFR's drop & aid cooling.

Ethanol also degrades if left in an "open" container. Open is anything besides a sealed metal container. Plastic or a vented metal system (like a car's tank) allows moisture in. Not only does the fuel pull apart, but the evaporated fuel can mix with moisture & cause corrosion on any metal above the fuel level.

With all that scary stuff put out there, I still recommend it.

#19 ·
Better starting? I am assuming this is under warmer temperatures correct? I know whenever I try and start an E-85 car here at the shop under 40 degrees, they like to fight.... When you say manifold, you talking about your exhaust mani? How can you tell its rusting internally?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.