Honda D Series Forum banner

Just one question about turbo

1K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  slo_eg8 
#1 ·
Before you reply. I am 18, in school and I deliver pizzas (low ass income). But anyways to get to the point, I got a 98 civic sedan with a super stock d15y7. I know about cars. I'm in college getting my degree in the automotive field and mechanical engineering. So I was gonna replace the rods and Pistons with lower comp ones, replace the fuel injectors and fuel pressure regulator and bolt on a turbonetics turbo kit and run about 12 pounds of boost. I don't even have a horsepower goal. I just want to learn more about forced induction and have a fun daily driver. I'm not going to be pushing it on a track or some shit just saying. But yea my question is do I need a better fuel pump ? Or will the stock one be ok. And how the hell am I gonna solve the whole ECU problem ?

#12 ·
Agreed^^^^^. Only thing is Don't want to skimp money on tuner, Don't just go with a cheaper on, get a good one worth the money because your car is worth it !!!
Get a fuel pump they are cheap. You could get away with oem one but for the cost you mite as well buy one. Also convert your car to obd1 so it can be tuned.
Thanks for giving me a flat answer unlike these other people

#10 ·
If your current job cannot support buying a new motor right off the bat (just in case scenario), skip the turbo idea.

#11 ·
guys, stop using logic. he already has his mind made up, let him do it his way, Im sure his mom wont mind him using the minivan on date night

Reactions: robgoof
#16 ·
Red dot time.

I know its not what you want to hear. I didnt want to hear it either and I paid the price. Wasted a bunch of money and ended up hating my car. Struggling to fix your car on a shoestring budget every week when you have Calculus, Chemistry, and Physics exams you need to be studying for. Its not fun.

If you cant afford another car, or at the very least to pull your current engine out and set it aside as a backup, then you cant afford to turbo your car. Your best bet is to start prepping now with a chipped ECU, injectors, fuel pump, clutch, and motor mounts. Once those are all installed and the car is running, you can start to think about turbo parts. If you do it the other way around youre just setting yourself up for disaster.

#18 ·
I would try to source a good condition D16Z6 locally (good luck). Keep the Y7 as an "oh, shit" engine if you need it. The Z6 should be able to take enough boost to be fun.

But seriously, you need to lay the foundation first, and its going to cost a bit and take a while. Patience is a virtue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.