Honda D Series Forum banner

997 views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  carlosdelreal 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. Thanks for the add. My name is Carlos Del Real. I'm from Plymouth, IN. I just acquired my first ever Honda Civic. It's a 97 ex with the d16y8. I'm new to these motors or any civic motors. I'm hoping to gain a lot of knowledge from this forum.

First question, Anybody know a place or somebody that would do some work on my engine in the Chicago area or Indianapolis area?

#2 ·
Welcome. What kind of work are you looking to get done?
I think you should drive it as it's first, that you you can get to know the car and the engine.

#5 ·
Why a rebuild?

#9 ·
I figured I was gonna get asked that lol. Hence why I asked for a shop or someone that could do it.
I want it to be a daily driver and have some fun in it once in a while. But it has a d16y8 right now. I figured getting another y8 and building it would be better so it'll be a direct swap.
I talked to a guy close by and said a stock d15b would be a direct swap and I could still use the turbo set up I have and run it with about 7-10 pounds of boost without problems. He said the motor will be about $900 from Japan with less than or equal to 45k miles. Plus the labor, so it'll be around $1700 to get it running again.
Now I'm debating in doing that or getting another y8 and building that. If it comes out to be about the same price, I'll get the the y8. I found a guy selling wiseco 75.5mm pistons and eagle rods and z6 crank. Basically the block with all that inside for $660. BUT he said after while trying to tune it, cylinder 4 lost compression. So he doesn't know if it just needs rings or rings and a new block bored out.

So I'm not sure what I want to do yet. I'm still looking around.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.