Honda D Series Forum banner

tranny swap

2K views 28 replies 12 participants last post by  hondaz6lx 
#1 ·
can anybody help me with my problem. i have 2000 civic ex with auto tranny. and i want to swap it over. does anyone know of a good website that shows you ow to do the swap. i know i need the ecu, tranny,pedals,linkages, and all of that stuff. i just need advice on how to get start. any help would great.
thanks alot.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
trannie info

you will need :

92 and up trannie
shifter linkage
ecu that is a 5 speed : but you can run the auto for now if you want to
trannie mount and support bracket for a 5 speed
flywheel and bolts
starter for 5 speed
your axles will work
clutch
clutch lines, pedal, master and slave cylinder , resivour

there is a couple or wiring issues that you will have to deal with

i just did one on mt 97 civic hb

if you have any problems at all just pm me or my email is :

jdm_civic_cx@yahoo.ca

joe griffin

ps : i had mine done in 2 hours, thats if you got air tools and a hoist

#11 ·
For warning on searching for information - I've been to about 7 sites and between the 7 can't really find half the info I'm looking for. But all the info I find is for an EK. Which in your case is good. In my case - bad. I would not advise trying to complete this swap without a friend who has done it or if you haven't done serious work to your car. (Please don't think I'm saying you're incompatent.) This is not your "I can have this done in 30 minutes" kind of swap. And if you're by yourself, give yourself time. Patience is a good thing to have as well. Glad luck!! I'll be getting mine done hopefully in the next week or so.

#14 ·
Z6HatchGirlie said:
I'm not 100% sure, but more than likely the biggest different will be gear ratios. Don't hold me to that tho.
i had a though that the gear ratios may be the _only_ difference.
but not sure. and i need to know the ratios anyway, so i could choose witch one to put in with the z6.

help? anyone?

#19 ·
I'm going to give myself a whole day. I've done a few motor swaps and such...but I don't have air tools. I'm not a stout ass woman. I have to use things like breakbars and such..and occassionally jump on a cheater bar to break shit loose. But it'll get done..and I'll be able to say I did it. Of course, I'll probably get either my boyfriend or my friend to come by and make sure everything is snug tight...I don't have the best arm. My strength is in my legs...:) Used to dance every weekend...NO not at the shake junt. Like break dancin' and shit....not anymore tho. My wrists and shoulders can't take it anymore..but back to tranny...I just bought the last bits I needed today...so hopefully this rain will come and go quickly..and I'll get started on her.

#20 ·
in between the two trannys, p20 and s20, another difference is that the p20's had steel shift forks. the s20's had aluminum shift forks.

#21 · (Edited)
just did my swap

5 speed tranny
shift linkage
manual tranny mounts with bolts
clutch
pressure plate
clutch cover
flywheel with flywheel bolts
manual starter
master cylinder
master cylinder resivoir
slave cylinder
hardline with soft line and another hardline
pedals
shifter
shift boot/w bracket
shift knob

you can keep the auto ecu but you'll get a cel, the P light will stay on and D4 will flash

if you want to change to the manual obd2b p2p ecu you will need to change to 5 speed intake mani, tb and iacv or else you will get a surging idle

you will also need to do some rewiring to be able to take the key out and for the reverse lights

#24 ·
Ok...Just read the link you listed. Helped with a few questions. I have a couple questions tho that I can't seem to find answers for. Being that the thread in the link was a swap on an OBD II civic, will the plugs still be the same? Or at least similar? Everything is dropped out of my hatch right now. I have a big gaping hole in the floor..no motor...nothing. Empty engine bay. Still have to put in the clutch and brake pedal but I'm about go outside and do that. As for the wiring...The wires on the back of the pedal...where do those go? I haven't looked at the colors to see if they are the wires needed to wire for park, but from the thread it doesn't seem like any of those are used. Are the wires on the back of the pedal simply for the neutral saftey switch? Thanks again!!

G
#25 ·
i cant help with the pedals, but yeah those are for the neutral safety so you have to have the pedal pressed in to start the car. as for being able to start the car and take the key out and everything, i just left the slider in one piece with the wires attached and then have it stuck up in park. its ghetto, but has been working for 6 months no problems at all. if you are wanting an appearance of a stock 5 speed i would consult with a shop and ask them for advice. IMO the hardest part of the entire swap is bolting in the pedals lol. it sucked, there is no room to work whatsoever. let me see if i can find pictures from my swap of how we did the center console.

also, im still searching for those pictures i promised you, lol. sorry again

G
#26 ·
i used a piece of aluminum plate and siliconed and fastened it down to keep air from passing through the huge gap. then the two big bolts go through to the linkage to keep it from moving around... you know the ones that the linkage bolts to.

in this picture you can see the slider that i just basically duct taped in place. its effective. now all i need is a cup holder to fill up that gap lol.

i also appologize for the partial thread highjacking lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.