Honda D Series Forum banner

Bolt stuck in bushing rear upper control arm

12K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  transzex 
#1 ·
I'm pretty stumped on getting this B**** out. Trying to replace the right rear upper control arm and the bushing is just spinning in the arm. Bolt is seized to the inner sleeve. The more I back out the bolt, it just pries the trailing arm apart even more. It's to the point that the welded on nut looks like it's about to break off. I've about had it with this crap. Anybody have any ideas? I'd like to leave the trailing arm on as with how one bolt is going, I'd rather not open a whole new can of worms. F***. I don't think burning out the bushing will accomplish anything, I believe there's a metal sleeve inside of it? Anyways, here's a pic:[URL=http://s966.photobucket.com/user/1985kx125rider/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20140410_212340296.jpg.html][/URL]

See less See more
#2 ·
You have to cut the bolt. Cut/destroy the bushing, destroy the upper control arm, try not to further destroy the trailing arm. Whatever it takes - grinder, sawzall, torch if you're awesome.

If you have an old Honda from the rust belt, you should just expect every bushing with a bolt through it to have this problem. Even my Wagon from California had a couple stuck bolts in the rear lower control arms.

Beware, those bolts that hold the UCA to the body might be stubborn also. Don't want to break them. Heat and an impact works better than a breaker bar.

#5 ·
cut bolt head off. Cut threaded end off, leave enough lenght to grab with plyers to thread bolt rest of way out of welded on nut. replace upper control arm.

#6 ·
Mine is the same way, but I didn't go as far as you did.

I stopped when I saw that it was seized and pushing the arm apart.

Going to cut the bolt / bushing and replace the bolt. Already have a new upper arm ready to go in so that's not an issue.

The bolts are cheap from Honda.

#7 ·
Cut the bolt. And pb blaster it.
I hate dealing with old rusted bolts to many problems. I normally pb blaster it the day before I have to work on them.

Also you can try to heat it to break the rust and then unbolt it.

But as other side don't mess up the trailing arm. It cost more to fit that then the bushing or camber arm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.