Honda D Series Forum banner

Slushbox Shifttronic

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  mark7901 
#1 ·
I know I know. get a 5 speed. But for the purposes of there is no chance of me getting rid of my 99 civic. Does anyone make a shifttronic modfication or sport shift mod. for my car. I think it would be nice to hook it up to paddle shifters and that would be about as unique as it gets. Thanks, and feel free to flame away.

#11 ·
#13 ·
If you want something like BMW's SMG(manual transmission controlled by computer), you'd need a custom transmission all together; our motors spin the opposite direction. With enough $$$, it can be done. The reason it needs to be hooked up to the ECU is because the fuel I think has to be cut to allow the gears to engage(Crome, etc. supports something like this; Full Throttle Shift, etc.).

Tiptronic and the likes are regular automatic transmissions; so adding paddles would probably be more related to the control unit than the actual transmission.

#16 ·
well for future reference, 97 and up Preludes had a version of shiftronic on their automatics, quote from edmunds.com "The five-speed manual is a carryover from the previous Prelude, but the new four-speed automatic features a Sequential SportShift that allows drivers the option of selecting their own gears, similar to a Porsche Tiptronic." Yes its not a D but its the point rather. Im not sure if Honda put it in any other models, and havnt heard any recently.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.