Honda D Series Forum banner

98 civic 1.6L misfire problems Help!!

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  jpm7481 
#1 ·
I have a 98 civic with the 1.6L motor. The check engine light is on. I had the codes checked and it came back as a misfire in 1 and 3. I changed the plugs,plug wires,cap,rotor and the coil. The codes were cleared but came back within a few miles of driving. It kinda "chugs" at idle and it seems to need a second to start. I could really use some help as this is my first Honda!

#2 ·
My brothers 98' GSR had a similar problem. Check engine light came on code misfire cylinder 3 and 4. Changed out the spark plugs, plug wires, cap, and rotor. Still had the misfire. We figured out there was a lot of oil coming from the valve cover vent hose to the intake tube thus burning oil in cylinders 3 and 4.(aka blowby) We changed out the PCV valve and the problem was solved.

#4 ·
You might have better luck posting this sort of question in the general tech section.

But maybe I can help you out a bit. Start simple, are the grounds all good? If so, make sure spark that is good. Next if you have good spark, check your injectors, make sure they are firing.

Then just report back.

PS, here's a good way to check for spark: DIY: How to test for spark and to troubleshoot spark problems - Honda-Tech

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.