Honda D Series Forum banner

Timing cover Bolts, which to order?

6K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  91civicZC 
#1 ·
Sorry if its been posted, I couldn’t find it.
Anyone know which bolts to order from Honda or Acura for the timing covers (upper and lower) on the DOHC ZC? I picked up the 44mm and 22mm ones from the 88-89 Integra, and they don’t seem to be the right lengths.

#3 ·
Beav

I dont actually need the covers themselves, I have those, just the bolts that hold them in place. Are the bolts ZC specific too?

Im sure I could find some at the hardware store to fit, I just thought Id grab them from honda or Acura.

#5 ·
Yup, Looks like that’s going to be the solution. I try to support my local Honda parts guy if I can.

I’m blown away the hardware for the 88-89 Teg covers don’t work. Off to the hardware store I guess.

#17 ·
For me in this case its more about having the absolute correct parts on the finished build if possible. I don’t have any spares of these bolts kicking around to compare to, so if I can just picked them up at Acura or Honda, I figure why not.

#12 ·
Really? For bolts like timing belt cover bolts? How great does the quality need to be for such unstressed fasteners? The cost to worth ratio doesn't seem low enough to me to buy them from the dealer. I can understand wanting to buy factory specific bolts for "more important" applications. Is that what you were referring to?

#15 ·
Is the stock hardware stainless steel? I usually only buy stainless for exterior applications. For the very specific requirements (such as having a shoulder a certain length or head a certain shape), I just take the necessary bolts off of my parts cars.

Could you inform me as to how the hardware store's hardware "sucks?" I'm going to guess that there are different levels of tolerances between threads, materials specs, etc. just as there are different levels of chemical purity e.g. A.C.S. grade.

#16 ·
I can break most stuff from Home Despot easily without much trouble.

It is MUCH harder to break Honda hardware. Possible, sure, but a lot harder.

Almost anything made in China and cheap likely does not meet ANSI, ASTM, etc. standards for tensile and shear strength because of very poor alloy content control when smelting ores and refining metal. Also, the threads are cut poorly throwing off torque application. Also, and very annoyingly, the heads on the bolts are not even centered in many cases due to mold flaws that just aren't fixed.

There are a lot of other small issues, but those are just the most obvious and annoying and dangerous of the bunch. If metal isn't made in Germany, Japan, the US or some parts of Europe, I will not trust it in critical applications. Other stuff can be made well, for example, many refineries are doing very well in Brazil and some other South American countries. Taiwan has some actually excellent facilities, too. But, again, I won't trust most stuff that doesn't get made in countries without a history of adherence to international materials standards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.