Honda D Series Forum banner

Finishing up my zc rebuild for rt4wd wagon

8K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  MexiChriS 
#1 ·
Just got my block and crank back from the machine shop and have a few question.

1. I will be using the a6 oil pan and pick up. The a6 spun a bearing and had flakes in the pick up tube. Is there a trick to get them out of there or buy a new one? Also should I worry about flakes stuck in the baffle of the pan?

2. Is there a certain orientation for the piston rings during install?

3. Dipstick? Stick with the a6?

4. How do you do initial break in on a rebuild zc. I've done Honda motors before but I'm a little scared since I'm reusing a few parts that were in a motor that had spun bearings.

Thanks guys I can't wait to finally have this done

#2 ·
Well as far as ring order I believe it is:
1.First Ring
2.Second Ring
3.Then 1 Oil control ring
4.Oil Ring expander
5.1Oil control ring

Then an important thing to keep in mind is that you need to spread the rings in the gaps in a certain order around the piston (I think), you dont want any gaps touching each other, Heres a picture I pulled off of google. I honestly don't know about the a6 dip stick though, I guess i would start off comparing them side by side and checking features. I may be wrong, but with break in I don't think there is anything special, Lower rpms and just alow every part to get worked in, rule of thumb I would say 500 miles is plenty for break in.

Attachments

#4 ·
:bowdown: Need pix of the wagon asap !!!! :fingersx:
:hyper: :)

#6 ·
Awesome man I love it! I haven't ever seen a red wagon mine is just plain ol white

#7 ·
#19 ·
RT4WD and non-RT4WD pans don't mix. The oil pan gets into the kick-out for the rear drive-shaft.

Ask me how I know.

Also, only blocks with the holes for the jack-shaft can be used:

That leaves you with A6, Z6, and ZC.

#22 ·
first of all i love wagons, second i love people who do their own work and third, i have two of the same bikes ( i think its hard to tell from such lerking lol ) that you have as well. rep for you sir. i would wash the oil pick up out really good, and run a mag around it and see what you can get.

got any old hard drive laying around just steal the mag from there, nice and strong

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.