Honda D Series Forum banner

Mechanical vs Electrical boost gauges

4K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  cyanide 
#1 ·
Looking for a new boost gauge but the one I would like to get is $193 because it includes a MAP sensor.

What's the advantage of having a electrical vs a mechanical sending unit for my boost gauge?

#5 ·
Mechanical gauges are generally more robust and accurate, but it depends on quality. A good electrical beats a shitty mechanical.

Electrical is easiest to fit and in some cases safer. Fuel pressure for instance.

#6 ·
I wouldn't be as concerned about accurate compared to safety wise. It's obviously going to be off somewhat, but you really only use gauges as reference not exact readings. So to answer your question, get which ever one that fits your budget. But if you are thinking about running something liquid like oil pressure or fuel. Always stick with electrical, I would much rather have it leak outside of the car. I used a mechanical oil pressure gauge twice and they both leaked inside my dash. But if you really want to know how accurate in terms of boost you are seeing just read right off the MAP sensor using your ems.

#10 · (Edited)
I will never again use a electrical oil pressure gauge. Especially a autometer to one. If you run a mechanical oil psi gauge to do it right you are suppose to run a -3 or -4 an line to it for the most accurate reading. AN lines and fitting tend to be much better at sealing and being long lasting than that gay 1/8 plastic crap that comes with the gauge.

Also run a mech gauge they are close enough to be useful to keep an eye on things while driving. When tuning though rely on the map sensor reading for boost.

#11 ·
If installed correctly, a mechanical would have less failure and no leakage. I loved my Autometer 3" mechanical!

For an electrical, you either have to hang that large sending unit off at an angle or rig up a nice remote setup. Obviously no chance for leaking inside the cabin.

Personally I prefer a mechanical.

#12 ·
A mechanical will tell you what's in your manifold....the electrical will tess you what your map sensor reads....mechanical gauges generally are much more accurate....although on map based engines, like ours, electrical is better from what I understand

#13 ·
On a race car I actually normally use industrial quality gauges like used on chemical process plants. They are tough and accurate. They are not pretty though.

#33 ·
OT:

thats funny - i work in a company that produces sensors for process
automation (electrical though) and i had the idea before to get some
out of the trash can and into my car.

note - i am still trying to get some of the piping and flanges from our
production center. that would be truly overkill :D

not pretty = true

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for all the input guys. I think I'm going to have to end up splurging and going for the electrical. I want this gauge:

But it's only available in an electrical version.

I can't seem to find any mechanical boost gauges that have the layout in terms of the 2.5psi tick marks. Anyone know of one that has a similar look? I'm only going to be running 10-12 lbs of boost so I'm looking for a gauge that shows more detail between 0-5, 5-10, etc..

#17 ·
I have never worried about safety with a mechanical oil pressure gauge or with a boost gauge where the fuel is injected downstream of the gauge.

Fuel is a whole different story for several reasons.

1) If the gauge sprays fuel into the cabin a fire can start. This is unlikely with oil.

2) In a crash the engine most likely stall and oil is not pumped, but the electric fuel pump keeps going.

3) If oil leaks it is normally a slow leak and it takes quite a while for dangerously hot oil to come out the gauge or line. Even with a disconnected line, it has to be hot oil and has to hit you directly to cause damage to you. A small amount of fuel burning in the cabin can hurt you even if it sprays some distance from you.

That is kinda why sanctioning bodies allow mechanical oil pressure gauges in the cabin, but not fuel pressure gauges without a firewall isolator fitting.

#19 ·
im all for the electric gauges, for everything from oil to boost.

Mainly im using the oil pressure gauge for a general idea of my oil pressure, and my dummy light is a backup to that. If im getting 0psi dummy light comes on and gauge should match, if im getting 50 or 60 im over 10psi obviously and if im 1 or 2 psi off in either direction im ok with that.

#30 ·
im all for the electric gauges, for everything from oil to boost.

Mainly im using the oil pressure gauge for a general idea of my oil pressure, and my dummy light is a backup to that. If im getting 0psi dummy light comes on and gauge should match, if im getting 50 or 60 im over 10psi obviously and if im 1 or 2 psi off in either direction im ok with that.

isnt that why we all use one lol... im just saying.

the dummy light shouldnt be a back up... once that comes on, you usually already have done some damage..

if your cruising at around 3k rpms and the oil pressure is below 30-35psi (fully warmed up engine) i would definatly think there is a problem somewhere.

#20 ·
How about using an isolator? At least on a mechanical fuel gauge.

#22 ·
Isolators at the firewall are mandatory for mechanical fuel pressure gauges. I am fairly sure Autometer makes one.

#24 ·
The cheaper option vs an isolator is to mount it on the cowl outside the car. It was once a fashionable look, but now seems out of vogue.

Maybe we have jacked this thread a bit to much.

#27 ·
Maybe slightly tucked? I am tall enough to look down at it and am pretty good with fiberglass, so I could make a small cowl for it.... Hmmmm.....

#28 ·
#34 ·
You want to get the Electronic gauge.
They are way more accurate. And way more reliable.

I saw the pic of the gauge you posted.
I saw an identical unit in mechanical. Being sold for 10$ on ebay buy a guy who does army surplus stuff. I couldn't buy it because Im not a US resident.
Sorry dont remember more. But it looked better than the pic you posted and was mechanical.

#35 ·
Electric gauges are only as accurate as the sensor they use; though you can still see inaccuracies from converting the signal into mechanical motion(a digital display would be the most accurate and fastest).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.