Honda D Series Forum banner

DIY replace front hub bearings

13K views 24 replies 18 participants last post by  immajackuup 
#1 ·
To start off I just bought a used 94 GSR and have been fixing many things, the latest was the wheel bearing was going. As everyone knows, the tried and true method is to remove the entire arm and get the hub and bearing pressed out with a press as well as the bearing pressed back in. If you don't have a press then the task becomes hard as you need to bring it to someone to get done while your car is out of commission. Well I heard about a tool that lets you do the job without a press and thought I should try it. It is called the hub tamer but there are other similar tools out there like the hub shark as well as cheaper copies without all the pieces and now I know why.

I ended up buying mine from the thetoolwarehouse.com, awesome place and unbelievably quick "free" shipping if you buy a certain amount. Now to the install...

Before you start, make sure you have all the necessary tools and parts. At a minumum you will need a new wheel bearing( I used OEM from Honda), C clip pliers(make sure they can work on c clips that are about 3", some can't), new axle nut(you can reuse but I usually do not as they are cheap and once you hammer in the top it sometimes is not possible to reuse), dremel with cutting wheel or similar, various ratchets and socket, socket for axle nut, for sockets, the hub tamer needs at least a 1" impact socket that most standard sets do not have, you also need larger but you can get buy without it as you will see, impact wrench( I use dewalt cordless), etc....

Here is the hub tamer and my impact wrench.

Here is the wheel before we start, jack up car, remove wheel

Remove, brake caliper and zip tie or metal wire it to something, remove caliper bracket, brakes pads, make sure you use impact socket on brake rotor screws, then remove the brake rotor.

Here is what it looks like after you remove the above mentioned items.

Next items you need to remove is the axle nut, usually this is on tight but mine came off with a blast of the impact gun, search elsewhere if yours is stuck for the varous other methods to get off, I suggest spraying some pb blaster and waiting before you try again. I did not take many pictures at this part because there are others elsewhere, but after you get the nut off you need to unbolt the lower shock fork attached to the arm, then unbolt the lower ball joint. When I went to do mine I noticed ther cotter pin was missing
, remove the nut and use the We-Todds-method to break the ball joint free, it works so well, why do it any other way, for my method because I do not have a craftsman socket I used my mastercraft 10" adjustable wrench! Once loose you can pull the axle out of the hub...

See less See more
#2 ·

Attache the hub tamer shoe horn and bolts to the hub, as you turn the hub will be pressed out. If it is stuck you take the BFH and hit it from behind.

You will notice once you get the hub out, the race is almost always attached to it

Another shot of the race on the hub

Here is the shot of the bearing without front race still on the car, you can also see the c clip that has to be removed before you can get the bearing out.

Here is a pic with the c clip removed

Here is a pic with the hub tamer bearing removal tools on. The instructions tell you to put an impact socket on the front with the long shaft but I did not have a socket that large, most in that size will be for 3/4" sockets or larger, what you can do is use your 1" socket on the back of the other side, it worked the same, not sure if this will wear out the tool prematurely but it worked fine, the tool works basically as a horizontal press.

#3 ·

Yeah, bearing removed
, was easier than I thought using the tool.

Pic of bearing attached to the tool.

New bearing next to old bearing.

Pic of tool to press the bearing in.

Bearing installed, was easier than the removal.

Pic of C clip reinstalled, this was a bitch to get in as even with the pliers I had it was just barely large enough for the clip, so make sure your pliers are big enough.

Now here is where all the work went, the race puller included and most you buy will not work on the honda race because the room is so narrow to slide the fingers underneath. What you need to do is take your handy dremel and cutting wheel and make some indents for the race puller to grip on, once you get this done you can use the race puller.

#4 ·

Here is a side shot of the indents, I actually had to redo them as they were not deep enough.

Close up shot of grooves I cut.

Success, race removed.

Close up shots of groove I cut, I got happy with the dremel and was about to cut it off, then I thought that I better not, as I may cut the hub by accident.

Hub tamer tool is also used to press the hub back in. I might have used it too well as I think I pressed it in too much, make sure you do not as the lugs will be close to the spindle arm.

Side shot of hub being pressed in.

Hub is installed

#6 · (Edited)
#7 ·
Nice writeup :TU: you have a link to the tool, cuz i'm lookin at doin the front bearings on folk's van soon, also are there different sizes of the tool or are they application sensitive?

#9 ·
i love my press i have proly done 100 bearings for my friends and me

just remember to tighten the axle nuts enough or they will start humming again

#17 ·
man awesome writeup. i havent did a wheel bearing job yet. but ya awesome work :TU: when took my knuckle off my mazda mx3 the hub just popped out and the 2 bearing half's just fell out lol hah

#19 ·
How much was that tool kit? I clicked the link and it said it was on sale for almost $400. For that price why not get a full size 20 ton press plus extras???

-Luke

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.