Honda D Series Forum banner

Datalogging needed?

2K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  boostfreak0885 
#1 ·
just wanted to know if datalogging is really needed to tune a car? can you tune a car with just a wideband and emulator? only reason im asking is because i can not get my datalogger to work i tried switching the wires but still nothing, this is on freelog(1.0.93) i can pass the loop back test but not the sanity.

#4 ·
Thats not necessarily true, but still why not just get data logging.

If you chipped you own ECU for instance Moates/Xeno send you the 'port' for it with their chipping kits. So really if you can't 'splurge' for the $2X.00 cable, you shouldn't really be boosting your car.

#8 ·
I tuned my car with just a wideband and my Zdyne. Yes i would LOVE to have datalogging but it's not possible with my Zdyne. Took a few days but it's running great now. Gotta pull the plugs alot to inspect them. I just made small adjustments, never anything large or broad. I noticed yesterday i was getting a little detonation, so i went to a colder plug and pulled a little more timing and it's much better now. It can be done, just takes longer.

#12 ·
thanks for some of the input.. its not that i dont want to datalog i just cant get it to work for me, the cable is brand new from xenocron and i tried switching the wires around but nothing seems to work. i can pass the loopback test just fine but cant pass the sanity. i dont really mind if it takes a bit longer to tune without datalogging just as long its somewhat safe, im just really sick of seeing the car sit for so long.

#14 ·
Who's tuning your car? I will repeat my question for OMGVtec since he seems to know it all. How are you going to adjust the cells in your fuel map if you don't know what your AFR is for the cell?

I wish I knew what was wrong with your datalogging. The answer is to fix that first. If you are planning on tuning yourself, I don't know how else you would do it, except by trial and error. (and reading the plugs as previously noted)

#16 ·
yeah j12 is desoldered. ima be tuning myself since all the tuners are way too far and since i built the car ground up by myself i thought i might as well learn how too tune too..i bought the beginners tuning package from xenocron got everything to work for me just not the datalogging i was thinking it may be a bad cable but i can pass the loopback test on freelog so im not to sure.oh and i took a multimeter to the cn2 pins and got
#1-.02v
#2-4.93v
#3-4.93v
#4-.03v
is that right? i thought #1 should be a ground

#18 ·
Just take a deep breath and stare at your siggy. You'll still be seeing red but in a happy kinda way. :smile:

I do agree though. Find out why you're unable to datalog and then go from there. It'll allow you to get your tune alot more precise. I assume you're starting w/ a basemap already somewhat set for your build?

#23 ·
It's not that bad to set up. That's what so nice about the Demon. It's going to replace the emulator for RTP, the chip, separate data logging, etc with one self contained unit. For the record however, the Demon is the hardware part of things. You will still need one of the many OBD1 ROM editors to tune your car. That can be anything from Crome to eCtune. I suspect in the end the Demon should also be compatible with OBD0 and Turbo Edit. I'm going to do OBD0-OBD1 on my CRX too. I'll definitely use a Demon when the time comes.

#24 · (Edited)
Oh so the Demon is just hardware, i thought there was software for it also. Looks as if i need to do more research.
EDIT: Awww sexy shit, just when on Moates.net, they added some stuff from last month. Now they have a Neptune / Demon package. Less than $450 for both, that's pretty friggin sick. I think that's the route i'm going.

#25 ·
not a big fan of neptune, ectune is the shit or there is always crome since you say your strapped for cash.

chip the p28 you have get a conversion harness and your set. just tune it with crome and freelog, it may not be the best way of doing things but i had to do it for a while since i could not get my reg string updated for a while. and many others have gotten a decent tune with the combo it just takes a lil more time and patience.

ill tell you first hand even with datalogging working a licensed version of software with datalogging built in is much easier than running an external datalogger like freelog

and yes the demon is just hardware that incorporates alot of the tuning tools and extra features into one unit that fits inside the ecu but still requires other software.

#26 ·
crome gold < just because im using it lol... < best crome software... but s300, and ectune would be my first choices

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.