Honda D Series Forum banner

What can i do for my 01 civic lx to get up 2 speed

2K views 22 replies 4 participants last post by  custom_junky 
G
#1 ·
i got a 01 civic. its a 1.7L ....i jus bought pulleys and waiting to put them in...my main question is what i should do about cam gears..i was looking at aem, skunk2 cam gears but really dont know what to buy...also what is the differance between 5bolt cam gears and 4 bolts..thanks

#2 ·
I didn't know there was a 4 bolt cam gear, but the difference between the 3 and 5 is just how well it holds. 5 Bolts have less of a chance of slipping.

How much faster do you want her? How much money are you looking to spend? What are your goals for the car?

G
#3 ·
ya the 4bolt was a typo i ment 5..sorry...im im guessing that the 5 bolt is better for non slipping...

i would like to keep my civic all motor..but im looking at turbos as well...but i dont have all that much money...maybe 2-500 at the most...

my friend had also told me about getting a vtec head from a 01 si or jus look for any vtec head...you think you can help...thanks

#4 ·
the only VTEC head that will fit is the the EX, the new SI's use the k20 motor. and the older heads do not fit (i think).

As for the cam gear, go with AEM they use to make 3 bolt patter cam gears, but they progressed to 5 bolt pattern, thank god.

#10 ·
if you go sc or na, check out rage headers, they got some good shit.

#12 ·
they are doing some research right now, but i would suspect that the d17 is next in line for their header

#15 ·
G
#17 ·
you can either swap in a k, or you can drive it off a cliff and shoot it with a radar gun.. bout the fastest acceleration you're gonna see. j/k. i like the new civics, i just hate the motors...

#18 ·
i like the new motors, run mine to hell and back, and it still asks for more. also it's only 3-4 years old, the D16 was 6+ years old before things really started to take off for it (mods that is). the companies are not willing to put the time into research and development yet because the market isn't big enough yet, give a couple more years, and bam.

#19 ·
pitchblacktyper said:
you can either swap in a k, or you can drive it off a cliff and shoot it with a radar gun.. bout the fastest acceleration you're gonna see. j/k. i like the new civics, i just hate the motors...
Actually our motors arent all that bad. If we could get a compnay to r&d a ems for us we would be fine. Hondata has ditched us but I believe aem is still working on one for us.

#20 ·
AEM has one...but it's about 2000 dollars...not to mention getting the laptop to use for it

G
#21 ·
lack of aftermarket support is what kills the motor.. i had a buddy that sunk a lot of money into a 01 ex, he did i/h/e, aftermarket head and a cam, and gear, and only got 23 horsepower.. he promptly traded it for a spec v sentra.

#23 ·
ok, that could be...i didn't look into really hard...once i saw the price i jumped ship.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.