Honda D Series Forum banner

did u upgrade

1K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  shocker911 
#1 ·
i was looking through ppls builds tonight and i have come to see people do the springs and retainers. But is it even necessary to upgrade your valve? most cams say to just put in new retainers and springs but no valves,

its it a good idea to do it or just use the OEM valves.i would say yes if it was a high comp. build but for a boost set up ehhh i don't know

ALSO i cant remember the ZEX cam for a Y8 can some1 tell me what it is again

#2 ·
i dont have a turbo but i recently upgraded my valve springs and retainers. When i took my head apart the valves had so much shit built up on them. Ne way,cleaned em and they look brand new. My point being,there really isnt a real need to upgrade the valve unless you building an all out race car and every mili second counts

#4 ·
isnt the zex cam part number 105300? or suttin close to that

x2 on cleaning oem valves unless something is wrong with them!

#5 ·
thats what i was thinking that "aftermarket" valves are not a need. but also i was wondering it there is any1 that has changed them out for a FI set up.

#6 ·
im on stock everythign in my head with boost now.....but in the market for supertech valves/springs/retainers..You can get the deals so cheap mine as well. I know ill be replacing them when I do it up.

#7 ·
im gonna do the springs and retainers but clean the valves up. just gotta figure out if i want the crower stage 2 turbo cam or the zex cam which i dont remember the damn number mcrooex is close i cant thing wtf it is

#9 ·
crower stage 2 turbo cam = garbage.

#10 ·
59300 is for the z6 105300 is for the y8

#11 ·
yea my head is my summer project....im hopefully gonna pick a Y8 head after this show im going to may9th. and starts taking it apart and hot tank a resurface and order my stuff

#13 ·
crower n/a = AMAZING

crower turbo cams.... not so much.

jfk picked up 40whp @ 8k on his y8..... zex cam, h22 tb, and a skunk 2 intake manifold.

you tell me which cam is better.

zol (reaction 360) also tells me ho the croer turbo cams are for like 150-250whp. very restrictive up top and for more then 250whp cars

#14 ·
lol wow...i have a blox intake mani and a B16 TB...i have been reading that the ZEX cam is VERY VERY loud. can any1 confirm that its loud on the V-tak cross over

#15 ·
not sure on the loudness. maybe itll sound like a type r lol

i will def be getting the zex cam when im upgrade my bottom end to vitaras and a full fjt rebuild kit with the fjt rods too

#16 ·
yea im doing my bottom end as well....i want to be able to hold up with my buddy's built 240sx with his red smoke tires next year lol

#17 · (Edited)
I got a set of Supertech valves only because it was a smoking hot deal through a seller on here. I've taken apart a few heads before and figured if I'm spending all this money into new springs, retainers, 59300...why not get valves? Everything will have the same mileage and will break-in smoothly together.

But yeah, OEM valves will hold up to boost just fine!

#19 ·
yea my budget sucks balls lol im working a second job this summer so i can afford to do what i wanna do to my car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.