Can you paint chrome wheels? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Wheels and Tire zone

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
The Cool Kid

Rep Power: 23 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Default Can you paint chrome wheels?

If you look at my sig, there is a link to pics of my car and the nasty chrome wheels on them. So the question is, can i paint over the chrome on these wheels.
How much work would it be to paint or will no matter what i do the paint just peel off of it. I dont like chrome but the only thing worse is paint with chrome underneath showing.

Any ideas will be appreciated (+1 for anyone who has worse looking wheels than me)

RIP Pat Primmer
You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 05:56 AM   #2 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Yes, google has just revealed to me how to do it.

Link 1

Link 2

If you are told to search, CLICK HERE!!!

Have you checked Teefury today?

About me

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 06:45 AM   #3 (permalink)
The Cool Kid

Rep Power: 23 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

well that probably seals the deal on getting wheels instead of spending 6 hours of sanding by hand and all the other shit.

Ill just try to find some fat fives and be done. anyone want some chromies for there homies?
rep for the info/edit, it wont let me rep you... sorry

RIP Pat Primmer

Quote:
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
They call me Awesome!

Rep Power: 50 awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !awebb is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

^It's cool man. I think there are actually like 6 people on this forum that like the random jargon I post, so I end up gettin all my rep's from them.

Thanks for the sentiment!

If you are told to search, CLICK HERE!!!

Have you checked Teefury today?

About me

Don't get your feelings hurt over some idiot's personal opinion, especially MINE!!!
awebb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 06:54 AM   #5 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the sky

autozone wheel paint i didnt use any primer either just took acetone and cleaned the rim really god

before

after

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozwrecker View Post
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 06:56 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 8 hotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatnesshotrodj is approaching greatness

Just scuff them bitches, clean with thinner/acetone then spray em.

PM for ECU Chipping/Socketing and Repair, Cheap
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
Take it from somebody who has actually done it more then once and not read about it on the internet......
hotrodj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)
The Cool Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by siregcivic View Post
autozone wheel paint i didnt use any primer either just took acetone and cleaned the rim really god

before

after
any problems with chipping or anything? and how long ago did you paint them

RIP Pat Primmer

Quote:
Old 05-10-2011, 07:36 AM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 5 l337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatnessl337h4l is approaching greatness

Aluminum wheels = light, add chrome = Heavy, add paint = heavier not much.

My vote is sand blast primer/paint or powder coat.

Call local powder coating places you may be surprised in the cost. My buddy took off his entire sub frame and all suspension on this AWD Eclipse cost him like $150 for them to bead blast and powder coat all suspension and frame parts.
l337h4l is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 07:41 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 6 moff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow upmoff3tt is about to blow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337h4l View Post
Aluminum wheels = light, add chrome = Heavy, add paint = heavier not much.

My vote is sand blast primer/paint or powder coat.

Call local powder coating places you may be surprised in the cost. My buddy took off his entire sub frame and all suspension on this AWD Eclipse cost him like $150 for them to bead blast and powder coat all suspension and frame parts.
I had a wheel shop quote me $130 a wheel to blast and coat my RT4WD steelies. Ridiculous. I am going to look up a place that does more than just wheels.
moff3tt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 Mayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropesMayfieldfour is starting to learn the ropes

Quote:
Originally Posted by siregcivic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodj View Post
Just scuff them bitches, clean with thinner/acetone then spray em.
I did what these guys did on a set of chrome something or others. Sanded/scuffed them good, sprayed some primer and then rattle canned them with Rustoleum.

Before:

After:

I should also mention that I painted those back in June of 2010. They are still on the car now, had new tires put on, went through a winter and outside of some road grime, are still holding up just fine. I've rattle canned a few sets of rims and I generally go overboard with the paint... maybe 1/2-3/4 of a can per rim and then clear coat. I've never had any paint chipping problems on any of them.

Last edited by Mayfieldfour; 05-10-2011 at 04:31 PM.
Mayfieldfour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 08:04 PM   #11 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
any problems with chipping or anything? and how long ago did you paint them
i painted them about 3 years ago and i never had any problem with the chipping i still have the rims in my storage too but they are 16's and pretty heavy lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozwrecker View Post
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-10-2011, 08:25 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

Anybody who does chrome plating can also strip the chrome off by electrolysis but it might cost.

The weight of the chrome will be negligible as will the weight of the paint.

Sand blasting and painting should work and be cost effective. I use the word sand figuratively as other blast media will be sharper and harder and more effective.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2011, 05:03 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Cool Kid

[QUOTE=Mayfieldfour;2309934]Before:

After:
QUOTE]

the wheels look good. do i have to have a cat help me?

thanks for the info, probably will delay buying rims now and paint my nasty chromies

RIP Pat Primmer

Quote:
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 devilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the community

A friend of mine sprayed mag wheel cleaner on his crome wheels once not knowing any better. Stripped it right off, maybe worth a try

.. says you stay at my moms house, since your down the road bring em by and i sand blast em' for ya lol!!

Last edited by devilsnight; 05-11-2011 at 09:32 PM.
devilsnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 04:43 AM   #15 (permalink)
The Cool Kid

how come everyone on here has a sandblaster? i need to invest in one. just searched and there only like 100 bucks.

RIP Pat Primmer

Quote:
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 18 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

But of course you also need a compressor to go with it.

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2011, 05:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
The Cool Kid

i have a pretty good air compressor. I think its 40+gal. Its about 4 1/2 foot tall.

RIP Pat Primmer

Quote:
Old 05-14-2011, 12:01 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 11 devilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the communitydevilsnight  is accepted as part of the community

I found my sandblaster at a rummage sale for a hundred bucks. Homemade 300 gallon tank conversion, always keep your eyes open i guess
devilsnight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 12:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
VTEC withdrawals

Rep Power: 7 spoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatnessspoonsol is approaching greatness

if you dont enjoy sanding...take it to a local machine shop and have them sandblast em. i would do it for free if i were still in raleigh and had access to my buddies shop

spoonsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 Ej1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebodyEj1civic coupe is almost a somebody

A sand blaster sure does make life easier in some cases..Shit check your local Clist..your bound to find some thing on there or you can check out harbor freight..Not top notch quality but it will get the job done
Ej1civic coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification