What does :Stage 1,2,3,4 clutch mean? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2007, 12:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Default What does :Stage 1,2,3,4 clutch mean?

I have been looking at ways to beef up my drive train and since I can not find an SI tranny right now. So I was thinking about getting a stouter clutch. Is this going to do me any better without a beefier tranny? I want to be able to jump on my clutch a little without worrying to much about breaking something. I keep seeing "stage 2 clutch or stage 4 clutch" but I don't know what that means. I am trying to find definitions but am not having any luck. Maybe someone can put somehting together that can be stickied?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just got this info from VITEK Performance websight

Stage 1 - Offers approximately 25% increase in strength and durability over your original equipment clutch while maintaining the same smooth driving characteristics. It comes with a h igh clamp pressure plate, steel-backed woven organic disk, bearings, and tool.

Stage 2 - This clutch has a dual sprung disc with full face Kevlar®. It offers the optimum street durability with smooth engagement. The characteristics are more of a street/daily driver feel however, this clutch can handle greater strain and will last far longer than the OE Clutch. It comes with a h igh clamp pressure plate, segmented chatter-free Kevlar disc, bearings and installation tool.

Stage 3 - Comes with a dual sprung carbonic disc. It allows for aggressive street and track driving while at the same time still works well for daily driving. It is more aggressive than a full-face disc and will easily handle Turbo/NOS etc. Sharp but smooth engagement with light pedal. It is our best selling clutch because it offers the best of both worlds. It comes with a h igh-clamp pressure plate, 3-piece disc with carbon or ceramic material, bearings, and the installation tool.

Stage 4 - This clutch has a 6 puck Un-sprung Disc. It is not designed for your daily driver car. When using an un-sprung clutch, you will probably experience moderate chatter. You should be prepared to hear your passenger complaining about the whiplash he or she will get every time you pull away from a light. While it will handle extreme aggressiveness, it is either engaged or disengaged with no ability to ease into the clutch. Its optimum use is designed for rally racing.

Stage 5 - This clutch is for racing only. It is of a 3 puck ceramic design and offers optimum performance for the drag strip.

Last edited by SushiRoll; 11-19-2007 at 12:14 PM. Reason: More Info
SushiRoll is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2007, 01:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!
speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!speedfoos is the fucking MAN!!!!

Looks like a good start man. You might also want to add "All of the above descriptions are subject to change depending on whatever the vendor decides to call Stage Blahblah to suit their sales portfolio." I've seen full-face organic clutches touted as Stage 3 and 6-puck sprung discs advertised as Stage 2. All depends on the manufacturer.

| PHOTOS | TWO WHEELS | FOUR WHEELS |
speedfoos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!
BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Definitely a good start there, but what you really want to examine closely is the Ft/Lbs of clamping force that each disk is rated to. That's how you know what's the best fit for your setup...
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2007, 01:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 40 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

very true. most places have a list as to what they refer to as a "stg 1" clutch or whatever. always refer to that list prior to purchasing the clutch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification