Best flywheel for a 250 -300+hp turbo car?. - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 07:05 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 jvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcano
jvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcano
Default Best flywheel for a 250 -300+hp turbo car?.

I can't make up my mind which would be better to use. So to those who's already running one mind sharing your thoughts on this? I've read a couple threads about this on google but alot of kids just put random stuff on there.

So

Lightweight flywheel = Harder to launch, requires more gas to move, might be to light and stress the crank with high horses? Maybe it doesn't really matter? Pros: Accelerates faster once it starts going.

OEM flywheel = Easier to hook, smoother to drive, perfect match for the motor? Don't matter?
Cons: slower acceleration than the lightweight one?

I'm finishing up this project for summer
Set-up is on a 95 Civic Coupe gutted
D16z6. Stock head, built block/fj rods/vitara 75.5mm/kings bearings
Turbonetics t3 tO43 Journal bearing
Turbonetics evolution Wg
Lsd s20 trans
Comp clutch stage4 6puck
3" all the way
Mini Ramhorn manifold
Edelbrock Performer X intake
70mm tb
Walbro 255
Dsm 450cc or better
Etc...
Looking to get 300hp+ maybe 12's on street tires if all goes right

Alright you guys have a great Holiday!
:ekg:
330 4.952
1/8m 7.556
Mph 95.04
1/4m 11.7 @119mph

Check my website:
www.facebook.com/fastlanemedia.net

I'm the king of rep., but i give to much rep i can only rep so much a day

Now rep me you bastards!

Last edited by jvtec8k; 12-26-2012 at 07:07 AM.
jvtec8k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 07:20 AM   #2 (permalink)
One Sexy MOFO

BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....BeerDrinkin Still a JDM Star....

Competition Clutch makes a steel 11.5 lbs flywheel. I am using one and am very happy with it. It is lighter than stock (17lbs IIRC) but not too light like the 7-8 lbs ones.

RIP Pat Primmer
You will be missed but not forgotten.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:44 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series.org Sponsor

Rep Power: 16 Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano
Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano

Fidanza is "free" traction control, 12lb range is more momentum after shifts.
MFactory D Series LSD $699.95 shipped!http://d-series.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4560&dateline=1250213  037
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:49 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 8 CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano
CaliLegal is hot as a volcanoCaliLegal is hot as a volcano

I had a 9 lbs flywheel, I was way way to jerky for stop and go traffic that i deal with. I currently have an ACT 11.5lbs wheel. Its the business, i love it, and its SFi approved for under 200$

New - 5/25/12
.002 P2W
75.5mm Z6
TD04H 15G @ 22.6psi ??WHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79hilux90crx View Post
?
Put a new motor in?
Dont race your car?
If you see smoke don't insert face?
If any of this confuses you die!
R.I.P - Pat Primmer
CaliLegal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 09:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 4 TheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatnessTheToaster is approaching greatness

Can somebody help me pick my girlfriend, I can't figure out what one is better.
TheToaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 10:14 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

rico58204 is about to kiss the skyrico58204 is about to kiss the skyrico58204 is about to kiss the skyrico58204 is about to kiss the skyrico58204 is about to kiss the skyrico58204 is about to kiss the skyrico58204 is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
Its the one giving you BJ's and Not taking your money.

That should do it
rico58204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 likuidphreon is learning the way of the Dlikuidphreon is learning the way of the D

^ lol but seriously, it's all going to depend on the feel that YOU like. Some people prefer the weight of a stock flywheel while others swear by the lighter ones. Others simply get the stocker shaved a bit...have any friends with a similar car with a lightened?
likuidphreon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 PM   #8 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

TheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcanoTheAssassin is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheToaster View Post
That's not an applicable analogy. If you know anything about analogies you'd know why.
My Build Thread

237 avg. hp 208 avg. tq 4750-7200rpm
Calculating Average Horsepower
TheAssassin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

I ran the 7.5lb Fidanza with my setup (similar to yours) for about 6 years. I liked it as I felt the OEM is too heavy when coupled with a short shifter.

I recently went to the ACT Streetlite (12lb) and I think its the best balance for street/strip.The motor still rev up/down quickly but it helps with staying in boost in betwen shifts.
Blksol94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #10 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I would stick with stock or not go lighter than 12lbs and stick to 1 piece designs.

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcanojvtec8k is hot as a volcano

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
I would stick with stock or not go lighter than 12lbs and stick to 1 piece designs.

Thanks Dan I did resurfaced my stock one and is currently on my motor now. Love the thing very smooth operation "Except" the chatter stage 4 Cc clutch not really complaining either. I need to practice launching slicks best i got was 1.805 on my 22s, but then again my trans is fucked on my 12.1 run. I'm knocking on 11s door. Woot!!

Consider this case closed
330 4.952
1/8m 7.556
Mph 95.04
1/4m 11.7 @119mph

Check my website:

Now rep me you bastards!
Old 06-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
()*#$(*$

Rep Power: 0 The_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edgeThe_Acid_Beaver is off the edge
The_Acid_Beaver is off the edge

've had an 8lb. aluminum flywheel on my CRX for years. I just drove it again after 7years of it sitting. Holy crap does the engine want to rev. I love it. heh

I will be running an 11lb. unit next to try it.

I happen to thnk that the flywheel weight should match the vehicle weight. A heavier car should have more stored energy in the flywheel to get the car moving.

Don't ()*#$(*$ PM me unless I ask you to.

RTFM. No, really. Do it.

How To Tune OBD0 with TurboEdit

My fab blog.
The_Acid_Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2013, 08:59 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
've had an 8lb. aluminum flywheel on my CRX for years. I just drove it again after 7years of it sitting. Holy crap does the engine want to rev. I love it. heh

I will be running an 11lb. unit next to try it.

I happen to thnk that the flywheel weight should match the vehicle weight. A heavier car should have more stored energy in the flywheel to get the car moving.

I know exactly what you're saying i remember when i had my 7lbs. just harder to drive at the track. Mostly precise launching since i don't use two steps or any launch control i'm tuned on crome.
330 4.952
1/8m 7.556
Mph 95.04
1/4m 11.7 @119mph

Check my website:

Now rep me you bastards!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:02 PM   #14 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 69 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Flywheel weight needs to match the intended main race usage of the car, it's total weight with driver, clutch package, and engine output.

NA + 8 lb flywheel HURTS my drag racing 60' times. I have a 10.5 lb steel unit for a 2050 lbs CRX with driver and a "soft" clutch to go in.

Now if you auto crossing or roadracing, go light, too many engine transitions to not too.

I loved my old 12.5 lb unit for drag and DD in a 2300 lb car with driver. With soft clutch (Centerforce Dual Friction) I wouild launch off the limiter knowing the clutch wasn't gonna SLAM the tranny and break parts, it would slip just enough, even with 75 shot. When I went beyond that....well the clutch slipped 3-4 shift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 22 BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!
BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!BLK92_D16 is the fucking MAN!!!!

Used the heaviest FW (EX) that I could get; 400whp setup with mainly drag times and some street use. Coupled with a sprung CC STG V, it was a fun setup.

But as usual, Bone had it right, it's all about the purpose of the vehicle that SHOULD determine what components are used.
BLK92_D16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #16 (permalink)
Pew Pew!

Rep Power: 17 Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!Sammo115 is the fucking MAN!!!!

I have the clutch competition 8lbs flywheel with their stage 2 clutch and it super easy to drive. No jerking, no issues with over revving etc. Also I have not a single issue with launching at the track & streets ( no I don't race on the streets )

I do understand the pros and cons of a light vs heavier fly but I feel like its up to the drivers preferences and his/her ability to adapt/control whatever setup is used.

but I am currently NA and obviously there is a difference in power delivery in a boosted vs na but even then...it does towards what I said about how driver has to learn to adapt to drive the car.

Last edited by Sammo115; 06-26-2013 at 11:51 AM.
Sammo115 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 4 JoelEspinoza is a name known to allJoelEspinoza is a name known to allJoelEspinoza is a name known to allJoelEspinoza is a name known to allJoelEspinoza is a name known to allJoelEspinoza is a name known to allJoelEspinoza is a name known to allJoelEspinoza is a name known to all

For a light street car with low gears I personally love the lightest I can go. I had a ~7lb Fidanza in a lightened 88 crx with a B16a1 and a LS tranny and loved it. The lighter the car, lower the gears and more low end the engine generates, the less flywheel weight you need on the street. I now have a 90 CRX with a B18c1 and matching hydro tranny and cant wait to switch from the stock flywheel to a featherweight one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Acid_Beaver View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Flywheel weight needs to match the intended main race usage of the car, it's total weight with driver, clutch package, and engine output.
When talking about drag racing I agree with TAB and Bone here, but what Bone kinda skims over is gear ratios and traction. Start with the stock flywheel and your traction and see how you feel about it. If it seems like your traction is WAY to low off the line, you can either work on suspension/tires or lower your flywheel weight. If you like your traction where it is, you are good.

In a nutshell: heavy flywheel = more stored energy, lightweight flywheel = faster energy produced. If you can make use of the stored energy efficiently, and have downtime to store it, heavier is good. If you cant make use of the stored energy, or dont have the downtime to store it, lighter is better.

Last edited by JoelEspinoza; 06-28-2013 at 05:33 PM.
JoelEspinoza is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 1 hoorah smells like Borathoorah smells like Borathoorah smells like Borathoorah smells like Borathoorah smells like Borat

I hate my Fidanza, would rather go back to stock
hoorah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoorah View Post
I hate my Fidanza, would rather go back to stock

I went back to stock so far no complaints car is in more smooth operation
330 4.952
1/8m 7.556
Mph 95.04
1/4m 11.7 @119mph

Check my website:

Now rep me you bastards!
Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 1 DelSolMike will become famous soon enoughDelSolMike will become famous soon enoughDelSolMike will become famous soon enough

Stock or lightened stock for sure.
DelSolMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
light vs stock flywheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification