Is it bad for my transmission, parked in gear? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 07:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 clay.bell12 is learning the way of the Dclay.bell12 is learning the way of the D
iTrader Score: 0 reviews
Default Is it bad for my transmission, parked in gear?

I know different people have different answers but anyone ever have transmission problems from doing so?

First, my hand brake works fine but every time my brother uses my car he leaves it parked in gear.

My transmission is a original dx original clutch 5 speed.
clay.bell12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 12 flyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatnessflyinryan122 is approaching greatness
Send a message via MSN to flyinryan122

I always leave it in gear..

Golden Eagle, AFI Turbo, Precision Turbo, TiAL, Hondata, CG Racing.

Quote:
Our goals are to fuck shit up with a single cam
flyinryan122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 13 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness
iTrader Score: 4 reviews

it doesnt hurt the transmission, and its actually good practice to leave it parked in gear (should your ebrake cable fail.... which is not as uncommon as you probably think)

and honestly id rather have a messed up tranny than a car that rolls away into another car/property/pedestrian

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 7 Chinewalker will become famous soon enoughChinewalker will become famous soon enoughChinewalker will become famous soon enough

The gears see more load and stress during daily driving that just sittin on a hill.
Chinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:22 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

i never leave it in gear but there have been times where id get into my car after days to realize i didn't have the ebrake up lol

id get into the habit of putting it in gear. it wont hurt anything
Old 12-27-2011, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
Wischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcanoWischmaster is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 12 reviews

Perfectly fine to leave it in gear when parked, unless you have remote start.

In which case it will drive itself through the garage door and end up in a snow bank across the street.

Don't ask me how I know.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
I mess with cars because it's more socially acceptable than a cocaine habit ... although the cocaine would probably be cheaper.
Wischmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

UNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top AussieUNDERSTIMATED is a Top Aussie
iTrader Score: 8 reviews

I park with the car in gear. Never had a problem.
UNDERSTIMATED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 20 HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!HondaDNA is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 6 reviews
Send a message via AIM to HondaDNA

I always park in reverse(gear). Parked one time in 1st and watched the car slowly turn over and roll a 1/2 inch at a time down the hill lol.

Quote:
Funny enough, Honda did a writeup on how to do that because it is one if the most difficult things to do to...
HondaDNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 08:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 clay.bell12 is learning the way of the Dclay.bell12 is learning the way of the D

OK thanks, I used to park my mustang with the hand brake only until I found it about thirty feet away from where I left it. (I was visiting Seattle) any how I would leave it in gear and turn the wheels after that. I just figured that bigger transmission could handle the load with no problem vs my little civic trans.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Poop Sock

wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....wizard's blood Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 34 reviews
Send a message via AIM to wizard's blood

ive left my honda, vw, and subaru in gear with the ebrake up for years and never had a problem. my buddy david who is a master tech claims it hurts the gears but i dont belive that at all.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series lover

Master tech? I and you don't believe in him. that's funny. My buddy is a cop and I would not call 911 if he was working. Lol
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 23 xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!xile6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 9 reviews

It will be fine. I normally use the hand break if on flat ground. If on a hill I pull the hand break all the way up then rock back and forward then pop it into 1st to make sure it doesnt move.

. RIP

xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 09:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
formerly allnaturalrex

Rep Power: 20 greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!greasemonkey89 is the fucking MAN!!!!
iTrader Score: 14 reviews
Send a message via AIM to greasemonkey89

i hate that shit whenever my dad borrows my car he does this. i forget its in gear and stall it almost crashed into the garage lmao.

"Aircooled Enthusiast/ D-Series Fanatic"

Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #2
greasemonkey89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 09:46 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!
d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!d-serious is the fucking MAN!!!!

I always leave that bitch in gear.

Here's an interesting question though. If the car is left in gear and it is pulled out by a tow truck; how bad is that going to fuck the world up?
d-serious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 09:58 PM   #15 (permalink)

Rep Power: 16 Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!
Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!Sentry is the fucking MAN!!!!

They aren't going to tow with the drive wheels on the ground. Tow truck drivers do it for a living, they know what they're doing.

Sentry is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 11:21 PM   #16 (permalink)

v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....v8killaz is almost there....

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasemonkey89 View Post
i hate that shit whenever my dad borrows my car he does this. i forget its in gear and stall it almost crashed into the garage lmao.
lol my dad does the same shit. it pisses me off. i always forget that shit too.
Old 12-27-2011, 11:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
The Great Weldini

Rep Power: 29 remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....remoer Still a JDM Star....
iTrader Score: 53 reviews
Send a message via AIM to remoer Send a message via MSN to remoer Send a message via Yahoo to remoer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wischmaster View Post
Perfectly fine to leave it in gear when parked, unless you have remote start.

In which case it will drive itself through the garage door and end up in a snow bank across the street.

Don't ask me how I know.

The suspension should always be faster than the engine - BMW

The term stage was created to make mentally slow ppl feel physically fast.

my DOHC ZC - 133.73whp and 108.48wtq (tuned on a Dynojet)
remoer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2011, 11:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 12 19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano19si91 is hot as a volcano
iTrader Score: 15 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8killaz View Post
lol my dad does the same shit. it pisses me off. i always forget that shit too.
X3 my dad does this too and I always forget and start my shit in gear.
1991 Honda Civic Hatchback Si
1998 Honda Civic Sedan EX

19si91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2011, 12:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

That's funny people mention their pops my grandfather told me to do the same but just figured he's a an old time

If the car is parked in gear then you release the hand brake and the transmission is now supporting all the vehicle weight? I still safe? (parked up to hill) can these transmissions go unaffected by this weight.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:42 AM   #20 (permalink)
Premium Member

Rep Power: 102 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
iTrader Score: 59 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay.bell12 View Post
That's funny people mention their pops my grandfather told me to do the same but just figured he's a an old time

If the car is parked in gear then you release the hand brake and the transmission is now supporting all the vehicle weight? I still safe? (parked up to hill) can these transmissions go unaffected by this weight.
If the tranny couldn't support the weight of the car on a grade, then how would it ever transmit the power needed to go up the same grade?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
*Required, this field is not shown to others: While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what kind of animal is mentioned in the sentence above.
Insurance
Please select your insurance company (Optional)

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.