Third Gear "Scrapes" - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2010, 04:27 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 Khnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to all
Default Third Gear "Scrapes"

1998 Civic EX, manual transmission. Stock. 138,3xx miles.

I've started to notice my transmission scrapes or grinds on it's way into third gear. It only happens in third (that I can tell) and it grinds more when shifting at higher RPMs, even with the clutch pedal fully depressed.

The transmission has the correct amount of fluid, 1.9 quarts. I just did a fluid change.

Hoping someone can shed some light on this, maybe Mista Bones.
Khnemu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2010, 04:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
BOOST my motivation

93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....93 red ls Still a JDM Star....

what do you use? oem trans fluid?

if so try syncromesh it should help
Old 03-28-2010, 04:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 Khnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to allKhnemu is a name known to all

I just put in Torco RTF, I ordered Torco MTF but they got mixed up and sent me RTF. Aqua told me it was fine to put in.
Old 03-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series.org Sponsor

Rep Power: 17 Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano
Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano

3/4 slider is likely on the way out.
MFactory D Series LSD $699.95 shipped!http://d-series.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4560&dateline=1250213  037
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 vsm_ej6 is learning the way of the Dvsm_ej6 is learning the way of the D

yeah, bent fork or syncro dying, mine does it too.
vsm_ej6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 05:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I don't want to cover up a problem, lol.

Aqua what kind of rebuild would you recommend for me? Car is daily driven, see's the drag strip every weekend and will be turbo'd in the near future. I'm looking for 200-250 whp.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:20 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Is it okay to drive the car hard with it like that? I'm heading to the track Saturday, lol.
Old 03-28-2010, 06:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

siregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the skysiregcivic is about to kiss the sky

youll find out if you break something 3-4 slider is on its way out like aqua said, mine has been grinding for a while now in 3rd and 4th if i shift slow it doesnt grind, if i slam it in gear it doesnt grind

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ozwrecker View Post
can you tell me how to hook up a vtech switch?
i want it on the new steering wheel i got at pep boys. have you seen it its sick!
but if i hook up the vtech i can have it at like whatever rpms i want right?
like vtech all the time? will it pop louder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
Just hook it up to a clapper and slap yourself in the face everytime you race......
siregcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 07:14 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by siregcivic View Post
youll find out if you break something 3-4 slider is on its way out like aqua said, mine has been grinding for a while now in 3rd and 4th if i shift slow it doesnt grind, if i slam it in gear it doesnt grind
Lol. We'll see. so it can be driven but I might as well have it rebuilt?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 aznxstazy is learning the way of the Daznxstazy is learning the way of the D

double clutch it when your about to put it in third gear. should help.
aznxstazy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-28-2010, 11:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 75 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsm_ej6 View Post
yeah, bent fork or syncro dying, mine does it too.
wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznxstazy View Post
double clutch it when your about to put it in third gear. should help.
clueless

The 2-3 and 3-4 crunch is typical of 96-00 Civic trannys due to the redesign of the 3-4 slider and shifter fork.

Run a 92-95 slider with modified 96-00 3-4 fork and problem is solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series.org Sponsor

Rep Power: 17 Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano
Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano

I wouldn't drive it hard or the MS 3rd gear will need to be replaced (comes with the sleeve assembly anyways). Either replace the 3/4 sleeve assembly with a 92-95 EX/SI set or source a used 92-95 3/4 hub/slider.

The sleeve assembly includes the hub, slider, 3/4 synchros, and MS 3rd gear.
MFactory D Series LSD $699.95 shipped!http://d-series.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4560&dateline=1250213  037
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2010, 01:20 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Thanks for the help Aqua and transzex! +rep to trans, I gotta spread some more to rep you again Aqua.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:28 AM   #14 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 10 immajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagleimmajackuup is fly like an eagle

AutoZone.com | 1 qt. synchromesh manual transmission fluid | 1 qt. synchromesh manual transmission fluid
immajackuup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification