Replaced My Clutch-Now My Speedometer Doesnt Work - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2010, 12:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 TURBOB20 is almost a somebodyTURBOB20 is almost a somebodyTURBOB20 is almost a somebodyTURBOB20 is almost a somebody
Default Replaced My Clutch-Now My Speedometer Doesnt Work

I have a 1990 civic hatch with a D15b1 motor. Has 197,000 miles on it. I swapped it to a 1990 Civic Si 5 speed from a 4 speed manual and replaced the clutch as well. Everything worked fine.

The Issue:

It ended up first having a defective clutch- had to replace it again. I put it back together and now I dont have a speedometer. Tachometer works though(swapped to Si cluster as well.)

What is causing this? Speedometer cable not hooked up right? Does it have to be inserted a certain way?

Thanks in Advance
1993 civic hatch-dd#2
TURBOB20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2010, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 13 jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!
jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!jmn822000 is the fucking MAN!!!!

is the sensor plugged in?

FaceBook
1994 EH9 RIP -- 1992 BB2 RIP -- 1992 CB7 RIP
2004 Ram 1500 QCSB Hemi

Flowmaster 40 split muffler -- Custom SRI
jmn822000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 02:21 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 39 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

two things..

1) are the plugs (including the cable from the VSS) to the cluster all plugged in?

2) is the input end of the cable fully inserted into the "VSS"?

after that, its probably an issue with the cluster. the cluster in your car has a direct link to the trans diff via the cable. if the cable is fully installed (correctly), then the needle should move as speed increases.
Old 02-13-2010, 04:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 72 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

cable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 04:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series Mod

Rep Power: 50 patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!
patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!patprimmer is the fucking MAN!!!!

Like bone says, cable

I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.

Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.

Ignorance may be cured, stupid is forever.

my CRX thread
http://www.d-series.org/forums/dohc-...storation.html

my intro
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...y-project.html
patprimmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 08:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 7 TURBOB20 is almost a somebodyTURBOB20 is almost a somebodyTURBOB20 is almost a somebodyTURBOB20 is almost a somebody

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99EJ6T View Post
two things..

1) are the plugs (including the cable from the VSS) to the cluster all plugged in?

2) is the input end of the cable fully inserted into the "VSS"?

after that, its probably an issue with the cluster. the cluster in your car has a direct link to the trans diff via the cable. if the cable is fully installed (correctly), then the needle should move as speed increases.
Is there any special way it inserts into the transmission? I checked the cluster and it is hooked up there.

It worked fine the first time about 3 months ago, but this time when I tried hooking it up the speedometer wasnt working.

I know that after driving for a few minutes the check engine light comes on due to the speedometer not working if that helps any
1993 civic hatch-dd#2
Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
cable.
Do you think it needs replaced or it just isnt hooked up right? I dont think the cable is inserting all the way into the transmission. But I cant figure out why.

I assume the brass colored portion should be flush all the way into the transmission? correct?
1993 civic hatch-dd#2
Old 02-13-2010, 08:09 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 435 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Cable isn't in the trans all the way

Delta Cam, best bang for your buck!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../made_Ryan.png
ryan89crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Im going to say that the cable isnt seated into the trans right OR when you pulled the trans you pinched the cable and it has snapped internally...there is NO electronics involved with the speedo other than the lights that illumiate it..unless you have upgraded the ecu and harness.. i have seen spedo cables on egay for about $30 if you need a new one...

88 civic standard hatch (R.I.P.)
90 civic dx hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
You definetly have a tranny issue and not the kind that makes you want to put on lipstick and womens clothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelts-face View Post
first love= honda
second love=hand
third=girl!
bman200437 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 08:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Is there any way it needs to seat into the tranny? like how far down in is all the way?
1993 civic hatch-dd#2
Old 02-13-2010, 08:19 AM   #11 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman200437 View Post
Im going to say that the cable isnt seated into the trans right OR when you pulled the trans you pinched the cable and it has snapped internally...there is NO electronics involved with the speedo other than the lights that illumiate it..unless you have upgraded the ecu and harness.. i have seen spedo cables on egay for about $30 if you need a new one...
Well that good at least they cheap. lol. I am going to continue looking into it. But yeah I think the cable hopefully just isnt seating in all the way
1993 civic hatch-dd#2
Old 02-13-2010, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....bman200437 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

there is a small U-shaped clip that will only clip in if its seated all the way down. if i remeber right the "brass-colored" portion should be all the way down

88 civic standard hatch (R.I.P.)
90 civic dx hatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
You definetly have a tranny issue and not the kind that makes you want to put on lipstick and womens clothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by spelts-face View Post
first love= honda
second love=hand
third=girl!
bman200437 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 08:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Ok, that makes alot of sense now. That is what I was thinking. I will have to keep trying. lol that clip is being quite a pain to get in there
1993 civic hatch-dd#2
Old 02-13-2010, 11:56 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ginger Beard

Rep Power: 21 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

disconnect the speedo cable at the transmission end and attach it to a drill and see if it starts to work then (it may be the gears that drive the speedo cable). if it works then you have a speedo gear problem or your not seating the cable properly. If it doesnt work you either havent connected it properly to the speedo cluster, or the cable could be busted/broke. Was the speedo jumpy/jerky at all before this happened, if so it was cable going bad.
Hope this helps a little

RIP Pat Primmer
You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 39 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by bman200437 View Post
there is NO electronics involved with the speedo other than the lights that illumiate it..
yes and no. yes, the gears are driven mechanically. however, the cluster sends an electronic signal back to the ecu. even when you upgrade to obd1 management, you still keep the cable speedo.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM   #16 (permalink)
eating Sushi, car gets totaled

Rep Power: 33 4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !4Door is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

you should be able to test the cable by pulling it out of the trans and hooking a drill up to it and spinning it in reverse/forward, it should read a speed on the cluster if its good...

R.I.P. my mom - I miss you 10/3/1945-6/16/2007

R.I.P. - MiloReaper & Pat Primmer

96' CE1 Lx - Wags
03' TL type S - Currently broken

is your friend, try it

[img][/img]
[youtube ][ /youtube]

4Door is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 02:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

jam that fucker into the tranny. sometimes they are a bit of a reverse slut, and are a trick to penetrate.

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2010, 11:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by danz View Post
jam that fucker into the tranny. sometimes they are a bit of a reverse slut, and are a trick to penetrate.
I will definitely be trying to do that. I can see that now. it is also ina shitty area to work with if you have big hands as well.

I am also going to try the drill method to test as well.
1993 civic hatch-dd#2
Old 02-13-2010, 11:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDrinkin View Post
disconnect the speedo cable at the transmission end and attach it to a drill and see if it starts to work then (it may be the gears that drive the speedo cable). if it works then you have a speedo gear problem or your not seating the cable properly. If it doesnt work you either havent connected it properly to the speedo cluster, or the cable could be busted/broke. Was the speedo jumpy/jerky at all before this happened, if so it was cable going bad.
Hope this helps a little
Not really jumpy or anything. worked great until this time. But Iknow it is at least not seated right for sure too. I will drill test it first. if it works, then I will try danz method of forcing it in.
1993 civic hatch-dd#2
Old 02-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #20 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

the one on my 1990 cx is tricky.. sometimes it goes right in, and sometimes it takes a little coercion.

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification