Whats causing my clutch chatter? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Transmission alley

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Default Whats causing my clutch chatter?

My 90 ed7 has some clutch chatter issues. I have tryed replacing these parts to elliminate it but i still chatters bad when i engage the clutch from a stop. I started by installing a new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and throwout bearing. Still chatters. I installed tranny mount inserts and it still chatters. I replaced drivers side axle and still chatters. Im alittle confused maybe someone has some ideas. Transmission doesnt grind any gears and seems healthy. Car is lowered with springs. No oil leaking on clutch. Any ideas?

Old 02-18-2009, 07:26 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series.org Sponsor

Rep Power: 16 Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano
Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano

What clutch is it? Chatter is usually determined by the friction material.
MFactory D Series LSD $699.95 shipped!http://d-series.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4560&dateline=1250213  037
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2009, 07:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Its an Xtd stage 3 sprung. It chattered the same with the oem clutch that i thought was bad but when i pulled it, it still had lots of life left.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

It feels like the front end its rattling apart when i engage the clutch.
Old 02-21-2009, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

How many miles are you putting on these clutches before ditching them?

I ask because, from my experience, many clutches will chatter a good deal during break-in, then eventually go away.

My stock Exedy replacement did it in my Maxima, and my stock replacement clutch just did it in my EF. In fact, just today was the first day my EF didn't chatter. Of course, I've also had lots of situations where I had no chatter at all.

Also let me point out that my EF has a brand new transmission, clutch, flywheel, axles, etc. and I still had some pretty bad chatter when I first started driving it. Like I said, today was actually the first day I drove it and didn't experience any chatter.

What I always do when the clutch chatters is to "ride" the clutch so the chatter isn't there (well, I mean, it's there, but you're "hiding it" per se). That way, even if the chatter never goes away, at least you're not rattling your car to death in the meantime.

Last edited by James89dx; 02-21-2009 at 11:21 AM.
James89dx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 11:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by James89dx View Post
How many miles are you putting on these clutches before ditching them?

I ask because, from my experience, many clutches will chatter a good deal during break-in, then eventually go away.

My stock Exedy replacement did it in my Maxima, and my stock replacement clutch just did it in my EF. In fact, just today was the first day my EF didn't chatter. Of course, I've also had lots of situations where I had no chatter at all.

Also let me point out that my EF has a brand new transmission, clutch, flywheel, axles, etc. and I still had some pretty bad chatter when I first started driving it. Like I said, today was actually the first day I drove it and didn't experience any chatter.

What I always do when the clutch chatters is to "ride" the clutch so the chatter isn't there (well, I mean, it's there, but you're "hiding it" per se). That way, even if the chatter never goes away, at least you're not rattling your car to death in the meantime.
I think your right, its starting to get beter the more i drive it. Reverse seems to have the worst chatter. If i ride the clutch and kinda feather the throttle it does hide it.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
Deal with it...

Rep Power: 35 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Bring your rpm's up higher. Chatter never really goes away on heavy clutches. You just adjust your driving style. I have found on chattery clutches the best is to just bring up your rpm on take-off. Especially reverse. The whole "do a burn out clutch dump a few times to break it in" crap is bs. Try it, bring your revs up a bit and I bet it goes away.

p.s. Did you have the flywheel resurfaced?
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9832/hatchburn.jpg
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-23-2009, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 26 Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....
Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukefsi View Post
It feels like the front end its rattling apart when i engage the clutch.
I have the same problem with my gripforce stg 2 i got off ebay thats in my prelude. Unfortunately the problem never went way.

"I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_bobos View Post
Beat them, cheat on them, treat them like shit and you'll get a hot woman that won't ever leave you. Women are a stupid breed that don't use fucking sense.
Black91CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizzar View Post
Bring your rpm's up higher. Chatter never really goes away on heavy clutches. You just adjust your driving style. I have found on chattery clutches the best is to just bring up your rpm on take-off. Especially reverse. The whole "do a burn out clutch dump a few times to break it in" crap is bs. Try it, bring your revs up a bit and I bet it goes away.

p.s. Did you have the flywheel resurfaced?
That does work beter. Seems i just have to get used to driving with this clutch. I like the fact that it grabs hard, theres no slipping at all with this thing.
I used the lightend flywheel that come with the clutch set.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Im bring this thread back becuase im selling this car. I never sell any cars befor making sure they are in perfect working condition.

Now is it normal for ceramic clutchs to make a screech sound when downshifting?

Ive put about 6k miles on the clutch. Never really abused it very much. When i down shift at higher rpm's it makes a screech sound and chatters alittle. Its done it sence day one. is this somehing a ceramic clutch does?
Old 09-12-2009, 07:39 PM   #11 (permalink)
Deal with it...

Rep Power: 35 Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Bizzar is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

I don't know if its normal but mine has done that for 20k miles lol. Sometimes on take-off too. I thought maybe it was the alt or a/c belt but nope...definatly the clutch.
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9832/hatchburn.jpg
Bizzar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 10 99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all99ctrhatch is a name known to all

i have an xtd stage 3 and it has been chattering since day one and still does it many thousand miles later, today. just how some clutches are
99ctrhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 12:43 AM   #13 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

i had an xtd 3, it sucked the biggest ass ever! hah. mine chattered so bad

as a matter of fact, my comp clutch stage 5 is easier to daily drive, no joke and no chatter

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 09:41 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

The only way i can drive it without the sceeeeech on down shift is to rev match before i shift down. Its just a pain to have to do that all the time.

I say we all protest against xtd clutch's and ask for a refund lol. No but really ceramic clutchs are just garbage for drivability.
Old 09-13-2009, 01:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
The House that Trevor Built.

Rep Power: 50 FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !FarmerD is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukefsi View Post
The only way i can drive it without the sceeeeech on down shift is to rev match before i shift down. Its just a pain to have to do that all the time.

I say we all protest against xtd clutch's and ask for a refund lol. No but really ceramic clutchs are just garbage for drivability.
not really... my stage 5 comp clutch is easy to drive. its got about 4000km on it... it was tough for the first 500km or so then its butter baby

not to mention go-autoworks hooked it up for just a little more than the XTD kit.... its impossible to go wrong

Playin Sega and Slammin Bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer
Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Ford
Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.
Dyno tuning/welding/fabrication/installations
Evolution Auto Performance - 604.460.7969
FarmerD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
D-series.org Sponsor

Rep Power: 16 Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano
Aquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcanoAquafina is hot as a volcano

As I say all the time, chatter is dictated my friction material. When a puck clutch squeals, that means it usually needs to be replaced.
MFactory D Series LSD $699.95 shipped!http://d-series.org/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=4560&dateline=1250213  037
Aquafina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2009, 06:22 AM   #17 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano

my xtd stage 3 that i used chattered like a bitch...and then once it started squeeling i bought a ACT...problem solved not nearly as much chatter and a fresh 6 puck
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification