Steering wheel locks up while driving! WTF - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org » Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction » Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 coasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunna
Default Steering wheel locks up while driving! WTF

I need some help d-series. My brother is driving a 92 honda civic LX and the steering wheel locks up while he is driving. When he turns the steering wheel left or right it locks up.

Here is what we just changed: Lower ball joint on the left and right side, both CV axels are new, and brakes are good. Thanks.

"Learn from yesterday live for today hope for tomorrow.
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showc...mes-build.html
"You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough."
Dwight Schrute: “There’s too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.”
coasttime is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2011, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 Sentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcano
Sentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcanoSentry is hot as a volcano

Meaning the steering wheel lock locks it, or it just doesn't turn?

Clarify.

http://westwheels.ca/
Sentry is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 8 xsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eaglexsenceo89x is fly like an eagle

Sounds tumbler related..

bump for more info.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

yep, the most likely cause is the ignition switch cylinder... if it LOCKS......

if you mean it just binds then you should specify. if the steering just gets extremely hard to turn then you need to disconnect the tie rods from the knuckles and turn the knuckles by hand and see if they move freely, if so then you have a problem with the rack and pinion, power steering belt or pump, or in the column itself.
Old 05-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 6 coasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunnacoasttime is da #1 stunna

When I turn the wheel around a corner it locks. Like if you were to take your key out and turn your wheel. My guess is the rack and pinion???

Come on someone has got to know where I can look.

Old 05-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentry View Post
Meaning the steering wheel lock locks it, or it just doesn't turn?

Clarify.
The steering wheel locks while the car is in motion and turning.

Old 05-28-2011, 11:14 AM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 10 cmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatnesscmgogo is approaching greatness

tumbler is shot, the steering wheel lock is engaging. Pull out your ignition set and replace it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staypuff578 View Post
cmgogo for president.
Quote:
Originally Posted by awebb View Post
X2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogdougynutty View Post
cmgogo for gov. of California
Yeah... i'm THAT awesome
cmgogo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2011, 08:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgogo View Post
tumbler is shot, the steering wheel lock is engaging. Pull out your ignition set and replace it.
It feels lower than the ignition switch, you don't think it is the rack and pinion. Is there anyone else that has another idea????

Old 05-28-2011, 09:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rep Power: 9 schardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to allschardbody is a name known to all

so how do you get it to unlock when this happens?

there are a TON of things that would cause this, most of them i covered in my post.

a rack normally wont do this, and if it does its the same spot each and every time because its the teeth on the pinion or worm gear that are worn and holding it.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post

there are a TON of things that would cause this, most of them i covered in my post.

a rack normally wont do this, and if it does its the same spot each and every time because its the teeth on the pinion or worm gear that are worn and holding it.
IT does it everytime I turn around or make a hard left or right. Then I jerk the steering wheel and it unlocks.

So what do you think it cold be?

Old 05-30-2011, 11:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

Rep Power: 13 Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!
Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!Egwhite is the fucking MAN!!!!

ignition cylinder. does as stated replace it

Hello noob meet.....Google
Egwhite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-31-2011, 09:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by schardbody View Post

When I turn the wheel all the way to the left it locks then when I turn it all the way to the right it locks. I have to jerk it to get it unstuck. So... I think it is the rack and pinion. If it is I will rep you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egwhite View Post
ignition cylinder. does as stated replace it
Thanks for your input I will still check the ignition switch.

Old 06-02-2011, 02:45 PM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So is it the rack and pinion?

Old 06-02-2011, 06:54 PM   #14 (permalink)

Rep Power: 4 jdmken90 is learning the way of the Djdmken90 is learning the way of the D

n00b here. anyway, i know mine would feel like it was locking but it was just getting stuck on the plastic piece between the steering wheel and dash. i know it sounds like something too easy to miss, but you never know.
jdmken90 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

sorry coasttime never seen any new post on this thread.

its very hard to understand exactly what happens "online" because "feeling" has alot to do with it.

does it do it even when sitting still (NOT MOVING AT ALL)? does the power steering pump make ANY noise when it happens? if it does it while sitting still try this, rev the motor up to 2500rpm and hold it, see if it still does it... if so you have a flow problem, either pump or slipping belt.

jack the car up on both sides, see if it does it with no load on the front wheels....

you have to be VERY descriptive, or make a video or something... without re-reading everything i'm assuming this thing has power steering????
Old 06-03-2011, 03:58 AM   #16 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 Atreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatnessAtreidies is approaching greatness

If it is doing it while you are sitting still, take a look under the car while he turns it back and forth. Seeing as you just took the suspension apart, and assuming this wasn't an existing problem before your recent repairs, I would guess you put something back together incorrectly. At least that would be the first thing I would check.

"Sometimes they complain. 'You know, the lower half income people, they don’t pay any income tax & what are we going to do about it?' And I say, we’re half way there!" - Ron Paul

"I freestyle my destiny, it's not written in pages." - Immortal Technique
Atreidies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 06:11 AM   #17 (permalink)
Pubis Beardus

Rep Power: 23 BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !BeerDrinkin is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Have you checked the ignition switch yet? Its been 2 days sice you said you were going to check it. If thats not it then explain in a bit more detail of what it does:

Does it do it while sitting still
Does it have power steering
Have you checked fluid level (if power steering)
Any noises from pump (if power steering)

RIP Pat Primmer
You will be missed but not forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoshot View Post
I actually jerk off to my rep points, neg rep makes me thumb my bung, what now brown cow? I finished twice.
BeerDrinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-03-2011, 09:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

Rep Power: 40 99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !99EJ6T is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

oddly, the parts changed have ZERO to do with steering. anywho.. sounds like your having a binding issue due to one of the following items:

out tie rods
inner ball sockets
the rack and pinion (as an assembly)
steering column u-joint coupler

my money is on the u-joint coupler, carry on though....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification