96-00 Civic Lower Control Arm Install - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 11 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
Default 96-00 Civic Lower Control Arm Install

*MODS feel free to move this if its in the wrong section, or sticky it*

This Write up is for anyone who is planning on installing aftermarket Lower Control Arms or (LCA's for short) on there 96-00 Civic.

Tools needed or that you should have on hand just in case something goes wrong:

-14mm socket
-preferably 1/2" drive rachet if not 3/4 will work
-breaker bar
-impact gun (just in case)
-rubber mallet (just in case)
-grinder w/ cut off wheel (just in case)
-eye protection
-anti sieze
-pry bar (just in case)
-19mm for lugnuts(this may vary)
-lug nut key (if you have locking ones)
-PB Blaster

picture doesnt show everything but you get the idea:

STEP 1: Jack up car, set jack stands, lower car onto jack stands. my jack wasnt tall enough to use the full jack stands so i took out the adjuster arms and set the car down on just the frames.

STEP 2: Remove back wheels. simple enough.

STEP 3: now is the fun part!! spray down the front and back of the 3 bolts with PB Blaster or some kinda of penetrating oil. let it sit for like 5 or 10 minutes...next start with the breaker bar with a 14mm socket and the bolt that holds the Shock to the LCA. try and break it loose...if you succeed congrats and take the bolt out!!this one is one of the harder ones to take off along with the bolt that connects the LCA to the Trailing arm. if you snap the head off take your grinder and cut off wheels and cut the bolt as close to the LCA as possible.

Last edited by xxjdmcivicek9xx; 10-09-2009 at 12:02 PM.
xxjdmcivicek9xx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rep Power: 11 xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano
xxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcanoxxjdmcivicek9xx is hot as a volcano

STEP 4: Next Comes the Bolt that Connects the LCA to the Trailing Arm Repeat Step 3 with the breaker bar. if it comes out, SWEET and your doing better than i did with the driver side of my car...the passenger side went perfect and i didnt snap any heads off!!! but if you do snap it cut the bolt with the cutoff wheel.

STEP 5: The last bolt is the one that connects the LCA to the Subframe. usually its pretty easy to get so i just put my impact on it, to take it off. i had to use a swivel just because my exhaust is in the way... Now that all the bolts are out take a prybar or rubber mallet and pop the LCA out of its brackets.

STEP 6: Put the new LCA back in its place. I reused my old bolt that connected the OEM LCA to the Subframe but this time i put Anti Seize on the center section before installing it. this will be the first bolt you put back in.thread it in but dont tighten it down just yet.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

STEP 7: The next two bolts i replaced on my car because they were pretty rusted...anyway take the next bolt which will be for your LCA to Shock, put Anti Seize on it and thread it in but don't tighten it. then take your last bolt and do the same, Anti Seize and thread it in the LCA to Trailing Arm.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

STEP 8: Torque all 3 bolts down i started with the Sub frame and worked my way back to the Trailing arm. I pulled Torqe Specs out of my Haynes Manual which are 40 FT-LBS for all 3 bolts.

http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7161/pictures040.jpg

STEP 9: Repeat for other side!!!

STEP 10: Put your wheels back on lower your car and enjoy your new eye candy!!

Old 10-09-2009, 12:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
CCW Classics 16x8.5" +10

Rep Power: 18 tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!
tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!tAylor is the fucking MAN!!!!

nice write up! :td:
JDM is not a brand. Its a marketing gimmick.
tAylor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tAylor View Post
nice write up! :td:
Thanks i thought it be some good help for the newbies...that is if they search
Old 10-11-2009, 09:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 29 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

one problem. you didnt talk about preloading the suspension nor did you seem to do it yourself. Those bushing are gonna go to shit no matter what you do but without properly setting them. Only hand tighten, place car on the ground, THAN torque to spec. This allows the bushings to be set with zero chance of binding. If you do it while in the air there is no load on the bushing and when it gets under load the bushing will bind and cut the life dramatically
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGEN View Post
fuck obama.

thats my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Nate is seriously one of those angry white men you read about all the time.

Headlight Harness DIY Upgrade
DIY Ice Box Intake
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #7
1.5Slowmatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 18 cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!
cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!cmgreen50 is the fucking MAN!!!!

so are the benefits of aftermarket lca's just reduced weight and bling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cade Johnson View Post
The problem is, my need for speed exceeds the need to save the earth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard's blood View Post
WELL FINE! I'LL JUST GO EAT THE SHIT OUTTA MY OREO'S THEN!
cmgreen50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 05:37 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic View Post
one problem. you didnt talk about preloading the suspension nor did you seem to do it yourself. Those bushing are gonna go to shit no matter what you do but without properly setting them. Only hand tighten, place car on the ground, THAN torque to spec. This allows the bushings to be set with zero chance of binding. If you do it while in the air there is no load on the bushing and when it gets under load the bushing will bind and cut the life dramatically
thanks for the info!!so how would you go about preloading the suspension?
Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 14 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1.5Slowmatic View Post
Only hand tighten, place car on the ground, THAN torque to spec. This allows the bushings to be set with zero chance of binding. If you do it while in the air there is no load on the bushing and when it gets under load the bushing will bind and cut the life dramatically
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjdmcivicek9xx View Post
thanks for the info!!so how would you go about preloading the suspension?
see above....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 08:08 AM   #11 (permalink)
Well?

Rep Power: 29 1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !1.5Slowmatic is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmgreen50 View Post
so are the benefits of aftermarket lca's just reduced weight and bling?
yes to an extent. certain ones actually help reduce negative camber and ST made an ajustable one but good luck finding a set. Also if you didnt have a swaybar mounting hole, which all 96-00 do it allows that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thGEN View Post
fuck obama.

thats my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post
Nate is seriously one of those angry white men you read about all the time.

Headlight Harness DIY Upgrade
DIY Ice Box Intake
Resident D-series.org metalhead Alliance member #7
1.5Slowmatic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 08:10 AM   #12 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 14 crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!
crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!crazymx6 is the fucking MAN!!!!

nice write up

but a fyi toooo much anti seize is just as bad as none! you only need a light coating of it on the bolts.

For all Your Go-fast parts..Go-Autoworks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashing View Post
Dreams: crazymx6 ends them.
crazymx6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 AM   #13 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 14 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymx6 View Post
nice write up

but a fyi toooo much anti seize is just as bad as none! you only need a light coating of it on the bolts.
x2 and ain't you supposed to put it on the threads a lil too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #14 (permalink)

thanks for all the extra info to the install guide! i readjusted the lca bolts today and torqued them down after i lowered the car back onto the ground! i also wiped off some of the anti seize! and my endlinks came in so i put on my swaybar today!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 PM   #15 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 16 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!

ball in socket impact joint works better fyi i would invest in one those kind bind easy from my expirences

nice write up

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estldmwhore View Post
ball in socket impact joint works better fyi i would invest in one those kind bind easy from my expirences

nice write up
yeah my friend has a set of those and they are nice...Harbor Freight sells a set i might go pick up i think there only like 10 or 15$.
Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 PM   #17 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 16 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxjdmcivicek9xx View Post
yeah my friend has a set of those and they are nice...Harbor Freight sells a set i might go pick up i think there only like 10 or 15$.
damn 6 bux over here

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2009, 07:05 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by estldmwhore View Post
damn 6 bux over here
thats cheap!
Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 AM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 8 03akkord5spd is learning the way of the D03akkord5spd is learning the way of the D

i just reinstalled my blox LCAs with prothane/PIC bushings and putting the hub-end in first seemed to be easier. everything was a tighter snug with the new bushings. nice writeup.
03akkord5spd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2009, 10:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....spelts-face is almost there....

i realize this is an old how to thread but i didnt want to start a new one by asking what the bennefit of aftermarket lca's is
spelts-face is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification