I want to lift my 1991 civic wagon. Heres my ideas - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Suspension Corner

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2009, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

EG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the sky
Default I want to lift my 1991 civic wagon. Heres my ideas

i have a fwd 5spd wagon. i have a parts wagon that has a shit body on it that i can swap the awd system from.

i cant go to high tho because i dont wanna tear the axles apart.

ideas for rear suspension:
im gonna use the stock struts, and weld maybe 4" of steel to the bottom and make my own bracket where it bolts to the lca. easy.
should i put the wagon front springs on the rear struts? i dont think this would raise it much, and it would ride stiff as hell...ideas?

ideas for front suspension:
im going to extend the bottom of the strut somehow and allow it to still use the pinch bolt design that it has stock. i was thinking maybe using a pipe that the strut could fit into and welding that, and on the other end of the pipe it would narrow down small enought to fit in the stock pinch bolt/wishbone thing that bolts to the lca. im not sure on front spring choice..accord or prelude springs are at my dissposal im pretty sure...

i figured it would be safe to go as high with the suspension lift as if the car was on jack stands and the tires were just barley touching the ground..."unloaded" suspension ride height, but it would be that high "loaded" after lifting.

tell me what you think...im not looking to be street legal either btw...

thanks,
jack

MY YOUTUBE

• 1992 CX Hatch
  • H22A4 GT3582R 18PSI
  • 10.81 @ 137mph

REP BACK!
EG6-Jarhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2009, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Rep Power: 21 boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!

There was a guy who did this a few years ago. IIRC he swapped out the Civic Springs for taller units from an Accord or Prelude. I forget what else was done though. Oh and I think his was in a hatchback also.
That's b/c he is a BAMF son haven't you seen his other threads? He drinks cocktails all day long and sits by the pool. That whole "chuck norris is a badass" thing is a true story based off of Jakes life.

You don't know? Better ask somebody.
boostdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 05:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

EG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the skyEG6-Jarhead is about to kiss the sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdeliquent View Post
There was a guy who did this a few years ago. IIRC he swapped out the Civic Springs for taller units from an Accord or Prelude. I forget what else was done though. Oh and I think his was in a hatchback also.
haha yea i found that when i searched. all he did was a spring swap. i wanna go higher! lol its gonna be a fun project

MY YOUTUBE

• 1992 CX Hatch
  • H22A4 GT3582R 18PSI
  • 10.81 @ 137mph

REP BACK!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #4 (permalink)
FF Misfit

Rep Power: 21 boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!
boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!boostdelinquent is the fucking MAN!!!!

You could try going w/ a different model shock that's longer and would give more lift along w/ springs. How high is higher? I hear a little cron helps w/ these things.
That's b/c he is a BAMF son haven't you seen his other threads? He drinks cocktails all day long and sits by the pool. That whole "chuck norris is a badass" thing is a true story based off of Jakes life.

You don't know? Better ask somebody.
boostdelinquent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
wise in the ways of the D

Rep Power: 8 dan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagledan. is fly like an eagle

i would rather slam it..
dan. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostdeliquent View Post
You could try going w/ a different model shock that's longer and would give more lift along w/ springs. How high is higher? I hear a little cron helps w/ these things.
true. i wonder which would be the longest...that would save me from fab work

MY YOUTUBE

• 1992 CX Hatch
  • H22A4 GT3582R 18PSI
  • 10.81 @ 137mph

REP BACK!
Old 05-03-2009, 06:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series soldier

EKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcanoEKboostedY8 is hot as a volcano

Seen it done alot with awd Dsm's. I think Ive seen a few lifted civic wagons too. Sounds like an interesting project.
EKboostedY8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Rep Power: 19 mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!
mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!mightyjoecivic is the fucking MAN!!!!

what about a set of coilovers and raise it up like that?

1993 Ford Cobra #1252 of 4993-- Bone stock

Tuning, the other bolt-on.

**Insert 95' 4dr civic...soon**
mightyjoecivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Pballer2005 is learning the way of the DPballer2005 is learning the way of the D

if you want lift then i'm assuming you are taking it off road in which case you will want travel. so using adjustable coil spring and jacking them up like they're on stilts would give you very little travel. you'll basically want to find a way to lengthen the suspension arms so the footprint will be wider, give you more travel out of a shorter spring, and have it sit higher.
Pballer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2009, 11:11 AM   #10 (permalink)
My 91 Crx Hf

Rep Power: 9 bznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eaglebznc is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer2005 View Post
if you want lift then i'm assuming you are taking it off road in which case you will want travel. so using adjustable coil spring and jacking them up like they're on stilts would give you very little travel. you'll basically want to find a way to lengthen the suspension arms so the footprint will be wider, give you more travel out of a shorter spring, and have it sit higher.
hit the nail on the head.

But...

Please dont ruin this wagon, make a nice awd dd wagon or sell it and just go pick up a old 4wd toyota or jeep or something.
bznc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2009, 12:26 AM   #11 (permalink)
n00b

Rep Power: 0 Pballer2005 is learning the way of the DPballer2005 is learning the way of the D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bznc View Post
Please dont ruin this wagon, make a nice awd dd wagon or sell it and just go pick up a old 4wd toyota or jeep or something.
+1
Romans 1:16
Christianity is not a crutch for the weak but a stretcher for the dead.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
D-series lover

i agree with bznc but if you really wanna do it,why dont you just make some spacers like they do for the rigeline,"Honda Ridgeline suspension lift kits" their just spacers that bolt onto the shock towers.seems it would be eaiser to do than welding some tube on the shock and risk damaging the shock itself.
93' lx d15b7..AEM CAI,AEM adj. Cam gear,MSD 8.5mm wires,ebay 4-2-1 header, 60mm stainless pipeing,magnaflow highflow cat and magnaflow 6"round muffler,fidanza 3.2 clutch and 7.5lb flywheel, P20 B000 trans.

Future build: D15z1 block,crank and rods with d17 PLR-A0 pistons for a nice (for d series) 1.64 R/S with a y8 head w/y7 valvetrain, colt tri-flow cam and edelbrock intake Mani.
project4dr-eg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 Jvs10 is learning the way of the DJvs10 is learning the way of the D

Will crv suspension bits fit under it? I know some parts are interchangeable but I'm not sure with what generation civics
Jvs10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 10:46 AM   #14 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by project4dr-eg View Post
i agree with bznc but if you really wanna do it,why dont you just make some spacers like they do for the rigeline,"Honda Ridgeline suspension lift kits" their just spacers that bolt onto the shock towers.seems it would be eaiser to do than welding some tube on the shock and risk damaging the shock itself.
he would cause more damage by overextending the shock. he'd rip the shaft right out of the tube if he bounced the thing up enough. and the angles would be so extreme that it would put quite a bit of stress on the cv joints and steering componants.

couple of things i see in the OP, you don't want to just put a spacer on the stock shock and run a longer spring, you'll blow the shocks on the first bump because it can't travel as far as the spring.

you don't want to lift it so high that it sits the way it is unloaded because the engles would be too extreme. you will need to find a way lengthen the control arms.

if you want to rally the thing you wont need to lift it that much, wrc cars don't have all that much clearance compared to trucks. i think a stock pickup has more clearance/suspension travel. i'd recommend finding a taller/stiffer spring, and longer/stiffer shocks. you will need the stiffer shock to help keep the car from bottoming out too hard. i'd also recommend a good set of bump stops, and beef up as much of the body and suspension as you can. then bolt steal plates all over the bottom of the car, fab a descent roll bar and strong seatbelts, you will most likely flip it
Old 05-22-2009, 10:47 AM   #15 (permalink)
Defender of the D

Rep Power: 14 Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!
Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!Dmod is the fucking MAN!!!!

But Why higher? well thats your prerogative to do so. but if offroad is where you're goin you will want travel. my moneys on gettin a jeep or somethin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted91 View Post
to put the words all motor d16 and beast in the same sentence is pretty funny LOL , go boost if you want a beast, the best you can hope for NA is a kitten.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrain T.
If it's not a Honda, Its a Nissan
Dmod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvs10 View Post
Will crv suspension bits fit under it? I know some parts are interchangeable but I'm not sure with what generation civics
from the diagrams i looked up they look very similar, but i bet the attachment points are all off

edit: here is a picture of the IRS looks like a typical honda trailing arm suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmod View Post
But Why higher? well thats your prerogative to do so. but if offroad is where you're goin you will want travel. my moneys on gettin a jeep or somethin.
i'm assuming from the OP that he has the parts laying around and wants to build it from junkyard parts.

Last edited by Pballer2005; 05-22-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-Series Rally Man

Rep Power: 8 Honda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to allHonda-Rallying is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer2005 View Post

if you want to rally the thing you wont need to lift it that much, wrc cars don't have all that much clearance compared to trucks.
Youd be surprized at the lift required and once you have the height you need the tough dampening, check out a WRC on forrestry stage, theyre high as fuck on the front.

Be careful welding on the shocks -

Where I work - to raise the rally cars we use coilovers, but if money is not on the customers option list we Take off the shocks. Pull out the Bolts in the top mounts and weld longer ones in.

Then get hold of sum very tough rubber, a similar sort of material to tyres if possible, we have a scrap Conveyor belt from a stone quarry. Cut some out and taylor it to fit on your top mounts. Stick it on and put it back on the car, your rubber will be underneath the strut mounts on your car and depending on how much rubber you insert the higher your lift will be. You mustnt add too much however cuz the strut will move in its housing. That should gain you an inch I guess. Combined with harder springs maybe 2 inches. Its not easy to raise a car without Coilovers etc. Im goint to fabricate my own Bilstein legs for my car eventually lol

Last edited by Honda-Rallying; 05-22-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Honda-Rallying is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification