Honda D Series Forum banner

Funkified's amalgamated build thread! So many pics your computer might explode!

12K views 62 replies 20 participants last post by  Black91CRXsi 
#1 · (Edited)
ive been around this site for about a year and a half now and have made a several threads about my build (it is my first build btw!),
but never a complete one as they were scattered over that time. so ill use this to update things as they are progressing.

CONDENSED MOD LIST updated May 30/10

Engine
D16Z6 rebuilt
9:1 SRP pistons
eagle h-beams
ARP headstuds
stock head
Innovative motor mounts

Turbo Kit
T3/T4 50trim .63/.60
Go-Autoworks Log mani
Go-Autoworks 2.5" charge pipes
Go-Autoworks 2.5" downpipe and open dump
Greddy Type RS BOV
Tial 38mm WG
stealthmode oil line kit
RC550 injectors
FMIC 27x6.5
Omni 4bar map sensor
Hondata s300 in a P28, hooked up with a rywire OBD-0 to OBD-1 harness
AEM A/F guage
Autometer Phantom II boost and oil gauges

Transmission
stock si cable
ES shifter bushings
Action 2KS kevlar clutch and pp
stock flywheel

Suspension
Skunk2 ProS full coilovers
Innovative traction bar
Front ES bushings in the LCA's
Converted back to a manual steering rack

Exterior
Vis ZC Carbon hood
amber corner and bumper lights
99/00 si/sir wheels wrapped in falken azenis 205/50/15
OEM si lip
JDM rear spoiler

Interior
JDM DC2R steering wheel
JDM DC2 shift boot
Skunk2 billet knob

i originally picked up a beat up 90Si hatch in june 06 and drove it up until april 07, at which point i found another minty, essentially
much rust free 90Si hatch instead, so heres what she looked like when i picked her up.

Nasty ass wheel gap!

Interior
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

See less See more
#2 ·
My original plan was to just swap this Z6 i picked up, but then i got to thinking i really want a turbo'd car since ive never had one before
and with this being my first project i figured why the hell not! since the engine was already out and all i thought it might be a good idea to build
up the bottom end and make this thing more reliable, as i kinda set a goal of 300whp for a daily driver/weekend track car. i dont know how or why i came up with
that number it just seemed like a nice round number to shoot for lol :p

The engine on a stand, about half way through the tear down, as the swap came complete with a hydro tranny, harness, dizzy etc...i wrote up a little power point on what i did to tear it down, as i didnt know fuck all about engines. all i had was some basic tools, the manual a digi cam and i wrote down exact instructions on how i took everything apart. I also wanted to do the entire rebuild myself, but i decided against it, as it seemed pretty hard and i didnt have the time, tools or patience to do it all.

Behind the block

Valve cover off, the engine had about 200,000km's on it when i picked it up

Head off

Intake mani all dirty

Fresh outta the hot tank!

#3 · (Edited)
Head also fresh outta the tank! with stock components except for new valve stems

Bottom end assembled, new parts include 9:1 SRP 0.02 over pistons, Eagle H-Beams, new oil and water pumps, timing belt, all new gaskets and ARP headstuds.

How she looked when i took her home, with fresh machined OEM flywheel,an ACTION 2KS clutch will be mated to it during the swap, and also a cheapy egay header.

Unfortunately i dont have any pics of me and my buddies doin the swap just after it was all finished, i have the nice g-lean goin on lol. Other swap goodies included new NGK wires, NGK plugs, a Rywire OBD-1/Vtec conversion harness, and cheapy homemade intake

#4 · (Edited)
So on to the rest of the car, heres were some new goodies i had before they went on the car

Skunk2 Pro-S coilovers

Ebay amber corner lights

Installed with painted amber bumper lights as well, i used TAMIYA model paint, its called CLEAR ORANGE, i got it in a can for easy application

At night with some Sylvania Silverstar Ultras

Skunk 2 Weighted Knob, with matching DC2-R shift boot and non-srs wheel with a fresh horn button cause the other one was worn out like a dirty hooker. A side note on the wheel, it fits in with no real issues all you have to do is take out your signal canceller, so you have to turn it off manually. theres a short shifter that came with the car when i got it, i think its a B&M...also just installed some ES Poly shifter bushings! Also found out that my shift linkage was installed improperly when it was converted from auto to manual, but that has been fixed and she shifts so much better now!

#6 ·
DC2 console! thats right i gots mutha fuckin cup holders and an armrest!

Installed! it bolted up near perfect, the screw hole on the right side fits up with stock mount and i had to drill a small
hole for the left side

Dc2 Black and red stitched Recaros

Drivers side installed using brackets from Wedge Engineering and universal Recaro rails

#7 · (Edited)
And now onto the turbo kit! Courtesy of Greg from Autoworks! If you guys are considering getting any turbo goodies, dont hesistate to look to this man for your needs! :TU:

Kit components:
T3/T4 50 Trim .63 A/R with a Function7 -3AN regulator
Log manifold
2.5" charge pipes bead rolled!
2.5" downpipe
extra long open dumptube
bar and plate FMIC 27x6.2.5
All necessary couplers and clamps
RC 550's

Bead rolled goodness

Log mani

Nice welds!

Greddy BOV and Tial WG

RC 550's

#8 · (Edited)
WOOHOO! 500th post! :bong:.....Fresh after a wash and polish, oh ya the exhaust is a 2.5" mandrel bent pipes with a dynomax super turbo

Some other pics....

well i guess thats it for now, ill update this thread as i move along! thanks fo' looking :)

#10 ·
thank you! ummmm not too sure yet, i still need to finish up with the turbo kit, i still need some engine management (prob go with a s300), oil lines, sparkplugs, and some gauges (which i plan on installing in my glove box for a stealthy look). Also, if its in the budget i wanna get an OBX LSD.

later down the line i think i might look into a traction bar, strut and sway bars, and install my ES Poly master kit. And if i wanna go all the way a JDM front end

#12 ·
to start off with im gonna keep things tame and tune for about 200-225whp, which is all i think one would need for a daily driver, but as i get used to it ill crank the boost up! ive never driven a boosted car on a daily basis before, but from what i hear it is like crack! so ill keep it at a low dose to start and work my way up lol

#15 ·
so there was a sale on autometer guages today so i figured it would be a good time to grab a gauge or two. Ended up with a Phantom II electric short sweep oil pressure guage (full sweep was a $100 bones more!), and a mechanical boost/vac gauge, which wont be in till next week. As well a couple more gauge pods. heres a shot with my AEM air/fuel gauge.

i think ill be getting the fuel pressure gauge in a month or two.
my ultimate goal with these is to somehow rig them into my glove box, for a nice stealthy look :TU:

#17 ·
just picked up a spare Z6 head (no valve cover, vtec solenoid is still there tho) and intake mani today, got it for $60 bones!
one of the studs on the exhaust side is bent, and its pretty grimey. i hope its not warped, but the guy said he did the proper sequence to unbolt it....
not sure what im gonna do with it, bought it just so i can learn about how to take it apart and put it back together, i never got a chance to do that the first time round.
maybe down the line go for KMS valve train setup from FJT :TU: and a port and polish...i dunno. anyways i think the learning experience will be worth what i paid

#18 · (Edited)
another small update, picked up this bad boy for $620 little while ago (might sound expensive for you guys in the US, cause shipping everything up here will automatically cost me at least $100 in fees, customs and taxes)
I got it from a local guy so i saved on shipping and customs. He bought it to turbo his DC2-R, but decided against it to my benefit hehe

i suspect that if the weather is nice, i should be getting my kit up and running sometime in april! woo hoooooo! :mrgreen:

#19 ·
yeaaa! got my Omni 4 bar plug and play map sensor today! thanks to Jason at Rage and also to 4thGEN for setting up the group buy :TU:

also just put in an order to Mfactory yesterday for a oil block adapter and a catch can, the catch can is on back order so wont be getting it for a few weeks.

#21 ·
another quick update:

got my oil pan tapped yesterday, figured i would do it before the rest of the kit went on to speed things up when the day comes. a friend of mine helped with the welding. anyways, heres just a quick pic of the fitting. i gave the oil pan a quick spray paint job, and on further thought i should have painted it a lighter color so i could see any leaks....oh well!

#22 · (Edited)
adding some more parts to the collection:

NGK BKR7E's Part#6097

Stealthmode oil line kit

mmmmmm......stainless steel braids

I am having a couple of fitment issues with the regulator I had purchased, and the fact that the mounting points on the drain flange are too small for the bolts, both are easy fixes though! thanks to Greg again at Autoworks for the lines and the help with my problems, his customer service is top notch :TU:

#24 · (Edited)
so somewhat of a real update now, finally got some of these parts installed!

did the traction bar and the aluminum half rad, im lucky that i actually have access to a lift at work, and a tech with air tools whos willing to help me out! :TU: because i think it would have been tough to do in my garage with the limited space. the hood actually closes with the rad straight up, i did just have to twist it slightly in order for it to mount a little better. ill have to get a front shot of it later you can kinda see it in the first pic. the only real tough thing with the install was getting the bolts that connected the radius rods to the LCA.

didnt take too many pics during the install, was too lazy to stop while working haha.

lifts rock!

also found this just sitting in the lot! in 85' it was the 500,000th Civic produced in Canada, theres only 130km's on it (thats right one hundred thirty!), the sign says its asking for 10g's but im sure i could swing a deal if i ever wanted it! its even a 5speed! lol

Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content

#25 ·
ugh a small update on the car.....things are moving slowly...waiting now for my set of innovative mounts to come in the mail, and then finally i think it will be ready to get the turbo kit on.

after the traction bar went on my front lower control arm bushings started to go and clunk really bad on corners. so i got myself a set of arms off my buddys trashed DX. and this past sat i just got my ES poly bushings installed and it defintely firmed things up! the bushings on the old arms were so trashed that i could push the metal pin out with one finger lol

another downside to the trac bar was that i get a lot of movement from my tranny while shifting, so im hoping the new Innovative mounts will take care of that.

also just installed some Skunk2 magnetic oil and tranny drain plugs, and my mad tyte JDM Spoon brake reservoir cover!

umm this might be a useless update without pics but thanks for reading anyways!

#26 · (Edited)
thanks for the positive feedback guys!

Nice build, finally someone who delivers wit da pic's!! What exhaust you gonna be running after turbo'd?
i already have a 2.5" piping kit installed with a dynomax superturbo muffler! lol

-
well slow progress is much better then no progress right.
-heck yes!

Hell yeah ...looks great so far
thank you sir!

so for just comparison's sake here is how the e-bay looked the day it was swapped, used to have that mad g-lean on the rad haha

heres how it looked this morn!

work done since the swap:
-removed the charcoal can and other misc stuff off the firewall
-nstalled an Optima battery
-half ass "deleted" my power steering....all i did was take the pump, the reservoir bottle and cooler off and plug up the hoses lol. that shit was ugly!
-got that trac bar in
-installed a aluminum half rad with a 12" slim fan, as you see from the pics it needs to be tilted to one side for it to fit on the bar and underneath the hood
-took off that bit of metal hosing/piping that used to run from the top left corner of the valve cover to the stock air box and put on that mini filter and ran some new hosing to replace the old stuff
-installed the magnetic drain plugs
-running a HAMP oil filter now as well

also tried to get a pic of the poly bushinings on the front lower control arm and the sway bar.....nothing special just the ES black bushings and I used the polylube i bought from polybushings.com.....i originally wanted to get them powdercoated but said, fuck it and just spray painted some tremclad on them lol. it wasnt worth the time and money.

#27 ·
wow man....u have one of the cleanest 188-1991 hatches i have ever seen.
is like a twin of mine....lol...right down to the steering wheel i had never seen it on another hatch.......great job man.

how did u fit the typeR seats?
thats what mine is missing...im looking for the canadian typeR interior tho.

#28 ·
how did u fit the typeR seats?
thats what mine is missing...im looking for the canadian typeR interior tho.
thanks dude! ya i dont know anyone else with the same wheel either!....i got some custom brackets made up for it, but i bought them from Wedge Engineering . good luck on finding the canadian stuff! i love the recaros tho, they are sexy!

#30 ·
yeaaa! just finished installing the mounts on the car! wow what a difference they make! :TU:

when I put on the traction bar, the engine and tranny rocked back and forth a lot because i had to take off the front mount. I could see and feel my shifter rocking every time I stepped on the gas to accelerate or every time I shifted. These bad boys have cleared that problem up! theres no more slop in the shifter and everything stays rock solid!

The trac bar, poly bushings in the front lower control arms and the mounts have made the car really tight I love it!

heres some pics of them installed, I did do the install myself, and it was my first time doing it, so it took me a really long ass time! lol my back is now killing me as a result. :(

I will hopefully be writing up a DIY for the install, cause I took lots of pics too!

Drivers Side

Rear
Pic was taken before bolt was tightened up!

Passenger Side

#31 ·
i was thinking about getting those mounts as well, how do they feel at idle?
had a good opportunity to try out the ride quality and feel tonight.

at idle, you do get some more vibration throughout the car, which is understandable and was expected. although now i get some weird sqeeks and rattles from my door that ive never heard before. you can feel the vibration in the steering wheel, your pedals and in the seat as well, kinda like a very low speed massage chair! lol

cant say that i like the byproducts of the mounts, but they do what they are supposed to, and thats to keep that engine from moving! i would imagine the 65A inserts are a little easier on the car, but ill be making lots of power soon so i went with the next step up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.