Honda D Series Forum banner

Zero to death in a heartbeat...

7K views 70 replies 20 participants last post by  slo_eg8 
#1 · (Edited)
So, as everyone knows, I made my decision.

Found a 2003 GSXR 600 on craigslist for $1800. DMV backfees totalled $702.00

Not in a major accident, but enough to damage all the plastics and total it years back.

It got handed between cousins, then I bought it. They all drove it unregistered with no plate.

It needed:
Rear tire (Q2)
Headlight assembly and stay
Oil change
License plate light
One fuse
front fender
one drop peg

What i have yet to replace:
Headlight/stay
front fender
All plastics (i want oem paint again, not repaired or painted)
custom levers/pegs
front tire balanced (for my own well bieng)
upgrade front to a dunlop q2.

I will be picking up my rear rim with the new tire after work today.

I will attach more photos in a succession of edits to this post as my cell can unreliably delete post data switching between apps.

I have been riding for a LONG time. Ive been in wrecks, Ive seen pretty much everything from a gravel dive in a corner to a valve stem breaking at 130+. Im not stupid, this is my only major transportation at this point, and I dont feel like being bed ridden so I know ill be reasonable. Thus the title. This thing has more BHP/ton than most boosted vehicles.

Anyways. Pics.

When i first showed up to buy:

Brought her to my friends to prep for the road and inspect (notice the canadian twin next to her):

Tail painted gloss black for now, hotbodies undertail and tire hugger. Barely mounted the plate and license light:

As it sits right now waiting for the rear tire:

More TBA. That is all.

She's a sexy beast. Im happy because i don't like the 04+ models as much as this body style. And I somehow managed to find the model with the rarest paint scheme.

See less See more
#2 ·
Update:

Just took her on a 25mi first drive.

sooo, the headlight points where it should surprisingly. The chain has memory, gonna buy a rear sprocket and new chain.

The paint made a world of a difference.

Nothing bad to report yet. Looks like my commuter is good to go. Next I gotta get some velcro to attach my FasTrak toll pass to my helmet ;)

Pics of it finished in the light, they would look crappy if taken now.

Im looking forward to a 70Mi ride home tonight :)

#3 ·
That's a decent looking bike you got there. Nothing fancy but gets it done, right? I've always wanted a motorcycle. Glad you like it, so far.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: JaredKaragen
#6 ·
DMV - Department of motor vehicles

Back fees - yearly registration that went un-paid, occouring penalties and other extra charges.

Even though I didnt incurr the fees, I still have to pay them to register it.

Photos in a few, gotta go ride to my god-daughter's birthday party.

#7 ·
Nice bike, gotta love the superman front. I just finished an 05 for my girl. Guy I bought it from was original owner and never washed it since he first bought it. I can't believe how bulky the bike is compared to my 08.

Waiting for more pics!

Reactions: JaredKaragen
#8 ·
200 miles in 24 hours.

never stopped for pictures, ran errands, goddaughters bday party, etc.

runs great, couldnt ask for more.

ill take some tomorrow :)

#10 ·
lol JosA; if u got a bike, it would probably be a ninja 250. you start banging gears on one of those, and then you look down and realize your only doing 45.

Gonna do a ride with Vu sometime soon =)

Any other bay area peeps lmk; im safe and 2sane when in a group... I just mess around a little with bursts and slowdowns, generally around the normal bike average speeds =)

Im waiting for Josh to finish his so we can see if theres anything special about the canadian model.

#17 · (Edited)
Yep, everything has been taken apart and put into ziplock bags.
Frame arrived in the mail yesterday, going to clean up all the parts and put the roller together.
Once that's done, I'm going to tear the bottom half of the motor apart and replace all the transmission and bearings, as well as re shim the valvetrain.

Ill basically have a new motorcycle again.

Forks leak a touch now. I will have to disassemble and check runout on the tubes for warpage, if the tubes are warped, I gotta buy a new set.

Radiator can be reused, but ill replace it.

Fromt stay is in the mail still, same with the right rearset and headlight.

It feels like I'm doing this all over again.... cause I actually am.

I don't feel like fixing up a salvaged 96 ex 4d civic I am driving, and I repo'd my old scooter (fat chick) so I still have 2 wheels.

#18 ·
Bet you liked the switch over to inverted shocks. Miss my bike.

#20 ·
It was heaven aside from the fact my old frame's neck was bent in slightly when I bought it.... but omg, hands down, awesome feeling when I upgraded it!

#22 ·
I had to repo my heffer last week...

I have two wheels while I'm working on this project.

Tonight I hope to start tackling the fork disassembly for new seals.

The ones currectly in the assembly photos are old and are just there to make my roller easy to move :)

#23 ·

Photos of th accident that I didn't add to this thread... to shed light on the rebuild for those who didn't catch my accident thread.
In one photo you see the Honda FIT that pulled in front of me.

#25 ·
Any day now I should be getting a letter from the chp, with revisions to the police report.
These will shed light onto the obvious lack of due dilligence by the reporting officer. He wrote the report as if she had not just made a merge in front of me and was already on the road.... she merged in front of me and travelled 60-80ft before I impacted her car.

I also provided photos of signage on the offramp requiring her to yield, and fps calculations based solely off the information in the report. I had under two seconds to deal with the accident. I had less than one second before impact to react to her sudden braking and turn. This is jot factoring in the human known average of reaction between sight and movement... which is a whopping .25sec in each occourance.

I quoted law, from the code and th dmv web publications, and basically made the officer look very bad. I will later file a grievance against the officer for his attitude towards motorcycles. This is after reviewing video evidence of my path and that I was not speeding. That super trooper boils my blood. Asshole said "suzuki V1 failed to yield to the slowing traffic conditions"... when I was straight through, having the right of way, and the girl exited a freeway right in front of me and turned across my path onto a frontage road. Ugggghhh.

I'm soooooo happy I am alive though. I'm equally happy I stayed out of a hospital, I have been seeing a chiropractor every other day since the accident. I can move around and work, so it is what it is. Dislocated vertabre suck ass. So do concussions and hip problems.

#35 ·
I'm soooooo happy I am alive though. I'm equally happy I stayed out of a hospital, I have been seeing a chiropractor every other day since the accident. I can move around and work, so it is what it is. Dislocated vertabre suck ass. So do concussions and hip problems.
I feel your pain. l5 is herniated and the 2 above it are swollen. Im jealous that you can work, I cant bend forward or lay flat. she buying you a new bike and paying your medical bills or is she not insured?

#26 ·
Got the forks apart.

The fork tubes aren't bent.... check.
The fork inner tubes aren't bent.... check.
The fpuid was horrible, and thick.... check.

The bottom of the inverted forks are the cause of the seal leak after the accident. Little rock chips tore into the seal. So, a little wet sanding at 3000 grit and a LOT of buffing, should lead me to a surface that won't do it any longer.
Sadly, the teflon bushings got some scrapes in them, I can definitely feel it with my finger, so such is life I guess, gotta replace those as well.

Gotta get a blind hole seal puller that fits a slide hammer, so I can yank the old seal out and access the teflon guide bushing.

Work done. Ita late, gotta work early in the am.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.