Honda D Series Forum banner

Take two...junky's build thread

9K views 41 replies 14 participants last post by  custom_junky 
#1 · (Edited)
This is a VERY slow process and build. While the biggest part of the build has been completed, all the little nuances are next and will be completed over the next several years.

I am redoing the build thread for the pictures are no longer working. Got an account at photobucket and will use that from here on out.

Without further delay:

We'll start with the first day, November 3 2010...

I had to start out in the interior and pull everything out, clean, and reinstall everything (mice decided to make it a home for a couple of months). That is completed, the car is in place, the hood has been removed, the front bumper is gone, the headlights are out, and the side skirts have been removed. The wheel wells have been removed and the front fenders are also removed. This will allow me plenty of space to work around, and it will be time to start the removal of the suspension...

First I got the headlights blacked out,
before

after

I used the following DIY for the headlights:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/129741-diy-black-housing-head-lights-96-00-a.html

Thanks NightCat :D

See less See more
#2 ·
November 2010

Here is a picture of the car as is in November 2010.

Here is the picture of my trunk with truck bed lining spray paint (needs to be cleaned though)

Things left to do:
Remove all suspension parts, powder coat items that are not being replaced
Replace all bushings with PIC Performance hard rubber bushings
Replace suspension with PIC Selects (these coilovers will have to wait until 2014 :( )
Replace rims and tires with light weight rims and tires
Rebuild the engine
Rebuild the tranny (still not done yet, maybe winter time project)
Powder coat the valve cover, transmission case (transmission case still needs to be done, along with a rebuild. For now I'm using a good trans)
Remove A/C (cleaner engine bay)
New CAI (Go Autoworks)
Powder coat intake manifold
New engine mounts (Innovative )
New shifter bushings

I'm sure I have missed something, but you will see. This should take about 6 months to complete, so stay tuned.

#3 ·
December 2010

Ok, so I have the car up on jack stands, and the Driver's side front suspension is completely torn apart. I have started the powder coating fun, and it truly is MUCH easier than I though it would be, and the color (Black Wrinkle) is just fantastic. The next step is to completely remove the other three suspension corners, prep, clean and powder coat.

I'm extremely excited for this project, can't wait until I get some more time

here are some pictures:
Cleaned parts

Driver's Front

Driver's Rear

First Powder Coated Part

Powder coating tips came from:
http://www.d-series.org/forums/diy-forum/134648-diy-powder-coating.html

Thanks devilsnight :)

#4 ·
February 2011

Some more parts powdered up :)

#5 ·
June 2011

First, got the cylinder head off and removed a bunch of junk within the engine bay:

After removing the cylinder head I got a very NICE surprise...it turns out that not even 160K miles can remove the original honing ...so the block work just got cheaper, and this means no over sized pistons for me (it is both happy and sad)

Some pics of piles of parts that have been removed (other parts are in boxes and ready for new bushings, cleaning, powder coating, and/or bearings)

Some pictures of the cylinder head stripped and ready for the shop (it will be checked, cleaned, and glass beaded...then i will experiment with some powder coating, wish me luck)

And finally got the transmission dropped

#6 ·
After much discussion with various cylinder head experts and machine shops, it is official, you cannot use standard powder coatings on any aluminum head or block...the max temp you can bring them up to without damaging the heat treatment is 250-300 degrees. And after calling around, it turns out that getting a clear that can cure under the 250 degree magic number would require ordering 55 pounds of the stuff

With that in mind I did a little research and found that Eastwood sells a high temp clear paint for metal parts. We will see how it does.

#7 ·
July 2011

The engine is out, stripped and currently the block is out at the machine shop. I have received my cylinder head back from the machine shop and I'm pleased with the work they have done up to this point

Glass beaded and clean cylinder head

Empty engine bay

#8 ·
November 2011

Valve cover is now finished:

2 layer powder coating, first layer of black wrinkle, finished with a satin clear coat:

not the best picture, sorry

#9 ·
November 2011

Here are some pictures of the clear coating of the cylinder head, and a very quick how to:

Here is the setup (Painters tape, box cutter, and Eastwood's clear coat paint for metal surfaces):

Tape off the cylinder head, take you time with this step:
rough taping

fine trim work:

paint several coats on then carefully pull tape off when dry, here is the final result:

This paint has been through several heat cycles and has not started to chip yet. I will keep an eye out and a build a product review after some miles are put on the car (i only have 600 on the new engine)

#10 ·
November 2011

MORE PICS! (all parts powder coated with either clear or black wrinkle)

Battery tray, rear main seal cover, driver's side engine bracket, alternater adjustment bracket, and header bracket

Intake manifold support and rear engine mounting bracket

Did a few bolts to see how well this powder coat will hold up against sockets and wrench work

Oil pan

intake manifold

#17 ·
August 2012

Proof that I have spent too long working on this :lol:

engine in place

#18 ·
August 2012

Front suspension loosely installed (remember kids, dust covers go on BEFORE the hubs do >.<)

#19 ·
Unfortunately, the new PIC selects that I want to install I have yet to obtain due to some time crunches and small financial bind...but I didn't let it stop me from putting her back together anyways ;)

#20 ·
November 2012

engine installed, running, and timed :hyper:

After 650 miles, she runs very well considering

#21 ·
November 2012

headlights, finders, front brakes

she is a dirty girl...cleaning turned out easy as pie (clean pictures will follow after I clay the entire car :) )

#22 · (Edited)
November 2012

Rear suspension time
the rear got some powder coating love as well

yes, the rear trailing arm will fit into an oven (just barely though XD)

got all the pieces put together

then added brakes

#23 ·
January 2013

Finally driven home and VERY quick bath (its cold outside :lol:)

from this point it is all about the small things, cleaning and finding every little problem and fixing it :lol:

that is until i get the money for the next step XD

#25 ·

#27 ·
I'm sorry, but I don't follow. what incision on what backing plate? o_O

#28 ·
April 2013

She has some new shoes (Enkei RPF1 and some basic summer rubber, Yokohama Avid ENVigor)

newest engine bay shot (new intake Go-Autoworks and Color Fittings)

Product reviews will be published soon, for those that I have pictures for (no pictures of the pic hard rubber bushings :()

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.