Honda D Series Forum banner

High Compression Vitara race engine

107K views 855 replies 84 participants last post by  Full_Tilt 
#1 · (Edited)
So, I decided to switch classes this year and do a turbo build. I'm hoping for 225 whp and a lot of torque down low. If I make much more than that, I'll have to dial it back a bit. There is a such thing as too much power for what I'm doing. My compression should be 10.9:1. I wanted to use E85 as fuel but the race season will be here in 5 weeks and I'll be lucky to have this together/tuned in time on pump gas.

D16a6 block
75.5 vitara pistons
Fjt custom length rods
Y8 head milled to 22cc combustion chamber
Y8 cam
Y8 intake manifold
Rc 750 injectors
Walbro 255 fuel pump
2" inter cooler / piping
3" exhaust
Gt1752 turbo / Hf manfold

Here's some progress pics

Vitara piston out of the hole .005
Still some clay on it from checking the valve clearance. Plenty of room for a bigger cam later.

Inter cooler and piping mock up on the old race engine

New Clutch

See less See more
#218 ·
the cardone remans ive used all broke, almost instantly.

ive had good luck with Ultra-8 axles, but they are made in china too...

best luck ive had so far is with OEM axles. 100% OEM.

its gotta be because of the turning wheels ur having so many problems... come try out some straight line racing.... :p

#219 ·
Picking up revs in the air then coming down hard and getting a lot more than normal traction with the revs up is doing it, along with getting that traction at extreme joint angles along with the etra load of rapid angle change pushing the inner body of the CV rapidly in and out vs the outer body so you have a twisting load and an end thrust load combined.

#220 ·
If you can limit rpm gain while the wheel is off the ground (I know, easier said than done) and reduce suspension travel (I know that reduces traction, makes problem one worse and hurts lap times) you could reduce breakages.

If you are near the rev limiter as you hit the jump it will reduce rpm flare while off the ground. That just might be possible, depending on speeds and gearing.

Something like a launch control rev limiter that was set at the rpm you normally leave the ground at and is momentarily activated by a button, maybe tapped wit the left foot? just might work. It could get real nasty though if it accidental activated at a bad time. Probably to sensitive to variations from lap to lap to really work well.

#224 · (Edited)
Here's what happens if you go off, on, off again at a Hillclimb. It happened after the jump.
The two guys who drive this car are friends of mine.

#229 · (Edited)
Yeah we had a hill like that last year. It was eating cars. 6 on the first day. One was a new Porsche right in front of me. It was a convertible an she rolled it. I had to sit at the start and watch it go by me on the wrecker. I really took it slow on that run.

I may add side door bars to my cage. The have been a lot of trees hitting door sides over the last two years. Especially on Camaros, we've lost three in 2 years.

#231 · (Edited)
Back from another race.
No broken parts this time either. The car really surprised me this weekend. I managed to see the shift light come on in 5th gear right before I braked for turn 6. I never expected to get that kind of speed. I was going between 124-129 mph into that turn. I was 14th out of 86 drivers. Only 3 street cars were ahead of me, the rest were all open wheel race cars and sports racers. The next closest fwd car was in 24th 4 secs behind me.

Edit: I found out this weekend that the Camaro above rolled. There's video of it somewhere.

#233 ·
Yeah. I owe a lot of the build to DSO. You a few of you guys were very instrumental in the build. I should put the DSO stickers on soon. I keep forgetting to do that.

Vid of the run coming soon

#235 ·
You, sir, have balls this big:
[--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------]

Awesome!

#238 · (Edited)
We'll see how well the vitaras held up this fall when I tear the engine down. :sweatdrop: The boost was between 12 and 18lbs. It usually spiked to 18 then settled into the 12-14lb range. I really need to get an external wastegate to get the boost to hold steady without as much spiking. I may add some boost by gear settings as well over the winter.

The guy that drives the 600hp Mustang was only getting to 121mph by turn 6. Him and some other drivers are saying that there's no way my car was at 126 by that turn. Their High Hp panties are all in a knot about it. :dots: They want data logs and gps to prove it but I don't have them. Gotta love the fact I spent about 1/3 what they did and I'm faster in the straights. :bigok: He was 2 sec ahead of me over all though. If I beat him this year on any hill, I'm sure I'll hear all kinds of excuses. :greddy:

#242 ·
Wow, I absolutely love the direction you went with your turbo setup, it's great seeing your hill climb videos too, I love seeing videos of ed civics being driven in anger on race courses.

I REALLY want to do something similar to this with my car, a high compression, fast throttle response type of forced induction deal. Ah if only I had the know-how and time to do something like this.

Big kudos though man, you effin rock!

#244 · (Edited)
I need a cage badly so I can run some of the climbs around my way.

Not really interested in the wheel to wheel thing anymore, well....at least not in this car.

Well done! :)

Most of the guys I run with take it fairly well when I run them down in their $30-70k cars (and I dont have the supercharger installed yet) :p

Sounds like the guys around you get some frequent lessons in humility courtesy of a little ingenuity and Honda

#245 · (Edited)
I need a cage badly so I can run some of the climbs around my way.

Not really interested in the wheel to wheel thing anymore, well....at least not in this car.
I would not wan to do W2W in this car either. I would go W2W in an ITA/ITB civic though. They're slower and should be easier to handle in a group.

Most of the guys I run with take it fairly well when I run them down in their $30-70k cars (and I dont have the supercharger installed yet) :p

Sounds like the guys around you get some frequent lessons in humility courtesy of a little ingenuity and Honda
Actually, the first and second place overall drivers congratulated and told me "good driving" on where I finished. That means a lot to me. Those drivers have fast cars and are very good drivers. The one guy, George Bowland, is a top finisher all over the country. He has the fastest record time on a ton of hills. I think the Honda impresses them. Most people would never expect the car to be that fast up a hill. A few of the drivers think that once I get a handle on the new power levels, my times should go down even more. I tend to agree. Going this fast has been a little more difficult than I expected. The braking zones and turns have radically changed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.