Honda D Series Forum banner

FlyinRyan's D16z6 Drag car build.

85K views 843 replies 120 participants last post by  turboprelude95 
#1 · (Edited)
FlyinRyan's D16z6 Drag car build. TUNED. #'s pg11

Figured I'd post some pics of my car, and a bit about my build. I've been on DSO for many years, just read more than anything. SO finally, here's my car. 1992 cx hatchback. :)

Here was the car back in 08, after getting in back together after it had been stolen and stripped in 07.

First turbo set-up.

I took the car apart in april 09 to get moving on an engine build i had been working on. And it's sat since. Slowly being built. BUT I have just about everything needed to get the car on the dyno at the first of the new year :)

Sooo, some specs.

Engine.
-GoldenEagle sleeved and o-ringed d16z6 block.
-Wiseco pistons and eagle rods
-Honda OEM bearings
-Bottom end assembled by Cortney Green
-Port and polished Cyl head
-Crower springs and retainers.
-Comp 59300 cam
-ARP head studs
-OEM honda head gasket.
-GoldenEagle intake mani
-GE Fuel rail
-Omni Power 70mm TB
-FuelLab FPR
-Intank walbro255
-Inline Bosch 044
-Bosch/ID 1000cc injectors
-Hasport solid mounts.
-T1 racedevelopment catch can.
-PWR Radiator
-MSD Digital 6plus, HVC II coil.

Transmission.
-86-89 integra CG cable trans.
-Mounts built by me.
-Tilton flow control valve.
-Clutch masters fx500, DD sintered iron disc.
-DSS 3.9 axles.

Turbo Sh*t.
-AFI Turbo forward facing turbo mani
-Precision 6262sp
-Tial MVR
-Tial 50mm BOV
-Garrett 800hp IC core, end tanks fabbed by me.
-3'' IC piping fabbed by me.
-Custom Down pipe built by me. (haha)

Suspension.
-Omni Power drag coilovers.
-skunk2 front camber kit
-ETD racing traction bars

I know i'm forgetting a bunch of stuff. Now some more pics.

See less See more
#773 ·
Sorry, i mean street bike/sport bike. around here if you dont say bullet bike, dummies assume you mean a harley. it was a gsxr.

#774 ·
round these parts they are refured to as "crotch rockets" and yes its fun messing with those guys....only did it once, i won and it stroked my ego the right way

#776 ·
Here we just call them donor cycles as in organ donor.

#778 ·
If he launches at over 5000rpm why would he need vtec.

#784 ·
Not yet :/ haven't had time to tear into it yet.

For those that don't know, took the car out for a cruise, just putting along and it started knocking. Lost oil pressure. Atleast killed some bearings. Fckin cars...

#791 ·
It was a new pump. Ported and shimmed. I won't be going that route again.. seeing as how my Oem non molested pump lasted all year until I fucked up. Might be able to get it apart this weekend to assess the damage :(

#793 ·
i used a stock oil pump on my final bottom end of the year.the other 2 were ported.

hope there is minimal damage when you open it up.

#794 ·
I cant recall what bearing clearance you had and 27 pages is a lot to search.

I don't think it will be to do with the oil pump as I have confidence you don't do stupid things like not clean it properly or grind to far and create a leak.

#796 ·
are you still going to run a OEM oil pan? i recall looking at SF's build and since they changed to a larger capacity baffled pan then they stopped spinning bearings.

#800 ·
A couple of points.

Many here claim they can run bearing clearances tighter than I like for real race cars. Are you running less than 0.0025" clearance.

Are you running maximum bearing crush.

If you have Eagle rods, have you tested crush and cap alignment. At your power levels I would be inclined to cut and shut them even if brand new.

A souped up oil pump gives you more oil pressure, BUT also puts more oil upstairs and empties your sump faster.

At the Gs your probably pulling off the line, you probably need a deeper sump with matching pick up and horizontal baffles on at least the back wall to stop oil climbing the wall under acceleration. Similar on the front might help if you also pull big gs under brakes.

#801 ·
FINALLY got it apart :p cyl #1 rod bearing trashed. Rest were great. That rod had some color to it as well. I will be replacing the rods for piece of mind. It was the oil pump that caused the issue. It was the shim. Some how it ended up on the opposite side of the spring, and turned sideways. I'll get pics of that soon.

Crank looked good still. So bearings, rods, pump, back in bidness! Time to get this deeper in the 10's.

#802 ·
What up DSO! Been a while. Thought I'd update this for any one that was curious.

Up until last weekend, I hadn't laid a finger on my car. Every penny I had or made went in to paying for our wedding that was in august. Honestly, selling everything crossed my mind many times. But knowing stuff wouldn't sell quick, and for any where near the money its worth, I couldn't bring my self to do so.

Finally I found some motivation to actually work on my car. Pulled the head off, everything looks good. Need to get the water out before it gets too cold and freezes. By the looks of things, a new oil pump, and set of bearings, and recondition one rod and it should be good. I also want to do new arp's since it lifted the head on the one pass I made last year, and those we reused from before. Also need a head gasket. Never again using the oem ones from golden eagle. There are two different part #'s for a d16 hg from Honda. One is like $120, and the other $25. They buy the cheap one, bore it out. And sell it for $100+. And they SUCK. Didn't even realize it until I took the head off and felt that hg. Flimsy pos compaired to the other one.

I'm also going to need a new cam and turbo. Those were sold, along with the skinnies, for some extra wedding funds. Damn woman and her wedding plans.

I have an opportunity to purchase a liberty face plated gsr trans from a close friend. So the CG trans might be getting tossed aside. I'd just hate having a trans in there that wouldn't allow me to drive the highway like I'd need too in order to still drive to the track. I LOVE actually driving my car the 40 miles to the track and back. :/

I'll post some tear down pics when I can.

Reactions: Darin T and k-what?
#805 ·
#807 ·
Honda has two headgaskets listed....one for the z6 and one for the y8. since the y8 headgasket works on the z6 its the more commonly used one and also the cheap one. they work really well though. the sleeve cut outs are 75.5 on the stock gasket, not sure what your running though

I don't now if I could give up fifth...I like driving it around to much

#808 ·
I'm at 78mm. Just the quality in the two gaskets, you tell the cheaper of the two if you hold one in each hand. I don't know if it affected anything or had anything to do with the head lift/water sprayed every where in the bay. But I'd rather spend the money on the other gasket just for my own piece of mind.

That's why I don't want to switch :( but I could still drive around town and the throw it on a car dolly or something to go to the track. But driving it has always been kind of like a bragging type thing. "fuck your trailered car, drive that shit!"

#809 ·
im with you, I trailer/dolly my car to the track only because twice I was stranded with a broken car by the end of the night. I drive it otherwise on the streets all the time and its a street car. hell I have a FULL interior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.