Honda D Series Forum banner

FlyinRyan's D16z6 Drag car build.

85K views 843 replies 120 participants last post by  turboprelude95 
#1 · (Edited)
FlyinRyan's D16z6 Drag car build. TUNED. #'s pg11

Figured I'd post some pics of my car, and a bit about my build. I've been on DSO for many years, just read more than anything. SO finally, here's my car. 1992 cx hatchback. :)

Here was the car back in 08, after getting in back together after it had been stolen and stripped in 07.

First turbo set-up.

I took the car apart in april 09 to get moving on an engine build i had been working on. And it's sat since. Slowly being built. BUT I have just about everything needed to get the car on the dyno at the first of the new year :)

Sooo, some specs.

Engine.
-GoldenEagle sleeved and o-ringed d16z6 block.
-Wiseco pistons and eagle rods
-Honda OEM bearings
-Bottom end assembled by Cortney Green
-Port and polished Cyl head
-Crower springs and retainers.
-Comp 59300 cam
-ARP head studs
-OEM honda head gasket.
-GoldenEagle intake mani
-GE Fuel rail
-Omni Power 70mm TB
-FuelLab FPR
-Intank walbro255
-Inline Bosch 044
-Bosch/ID 1000cc injectors
-Hasport solid mounts.
-T1 racedevelopment catch can.
-PWR Radiator
-MSD Digital 6plus, HVC II coil.

Transmission.
-86-89 integra CG cable trans.
-Mounts built by me.
-Tilton flow control valve.
-Clutch masters fx500, DD sintered iron disc.
-DSS 3.9 axles.

Turbo Sh*t.
-AFI Turbo forward facing turbo mani
-Precision 6262sp
-Tial MVR
-Tial 50mm BOV
-Garrett 800hp IC core, end tanks fabbed by me.
-3'' IC piping fabbed by me.
-Custom Down pipe built by me. (haha)

Suspension.
-Omni Power drag coilovers.
-skunk2 front camber kit
-ETD racing traction bars

I know i'm forgetting a bunch of stuff. Now some more pics.

See less See more
#518 ·
Start on Monday. I've done some fitting. But it really sucks not having a TIG welder at home. But that may change soon ;)

#519 ·
So, here are some update pics.

I'm not done yet. But I should be done by Tuesday. Went to the track friday night. Car picked up a LOT from chassis stiffening. In the heat of the day around 5:30 pm, car would be around 11.95-12.0's. First pass of the day went 11.70@120. Second pass went 11.68, third pass went 11.64 for a new PB on pump gas (390hp). fourth pass i had some issues. Oil pressure sensor walked out of the back of the block :( all 5 quarts of oil all over the firewall and track :(Luckily, nothing was hurt. Damn solid mounts.

#526 ·
good to see it all cage'd up.
this is a big nice project i'm reading here, followmodus on !!

Very Nice work here, love it very much :D
nicely done mang!!!

time for you to take down some d series records.
In for some high boost action!! Looking good
Your eg is clean as hell, extremely nice build! I'm a sucker for egs with ls wheels.

Thanks fellas! :TU:

Had some wiring under the dash to fix yesterday. And just my damn luck, wiring gremlins show up AFTER welding in the roll cage. what a B**CH!

Hoping for some race fuel passes friday night.

#522 ·
this is a big nice project i'm reading here, followmodus on !!

Very Nice work here, love it very much :D

#528 ·
Moly has to be TIG welded. I MIG'd the plates to the floor though. Its a bitch. I am using a Miller sycrowave 200 TIG welder, and a Miller Millermatic 251 MIG welder. The MIG welder i had turned down to 14.3V and 130 on wire speed and still blows through pretty easy.

#530 ·
so when are we going to see an update of some runs at the track with race gas and more boost?

#532 ·
Thanks man.

I had planned to go out on race fuel last night. But that didnt happen. Had a few other things come up. Working today to fix a few things on the car. Installed a catch pan. I had it on earlier in the year, but didnt like how low it hung, so now i finally got around to mounting it up higher. Something else is now wrong, Car wont start with the key. Like the starter solenoid doesnt get signal, but everything has continuity. doesnt make sense, but whatev. Car starts fine if i jump the solenoid to the +12v on the starter. So I might just be purchasing an s2000 push button start and saying f**k it.

Random photo from a car meet last weekend.

#533 ·
Well. Figured I'd post up the news. Maybe a few of you from facebook have seen this. But I do have some bad news. I broke an oil pump. Killed the bearings. And probably the rods and crank. I've been too bummed out to pull the motor. We are going to try and pull the crank, check and repair/replace what needs to be done so I can make the final race on the 30th. But by the look of it, I wont make it.

So my plan is, (if it is to trashed) I will be starting a new build in time to make it to the the Las Vegas IFO race on December 4th. New pistons, rods, cam, and valves. And POSSIBLY sleeving a new block. Depends how time pressed I am.

Oil pick up

Junk out of the oil pick up

Color on one rod. This is the only bad one. That I could see at least...

More as i pull it apart

Reactions: DougNuts
#541 ·
I think I hurt it the night the oil pressure sensor came out. And then broke it on a 3-4-3 shift dicking around on the freeway giving my dads buddy a ride. The way my SCHA is on the CG trans, it has kind of a lock out for 5th. So coming out of 2nd I can push hard right on the shifter and go right into 3rd. But to make it to fifth required more pressure and farther right. Well the bottom of my shift linkage (at the shifter) has been really sloppy all year. I climbed under the car, fixed it. Then we went for a ride. When I went for 5th I went back to 3rd. Driver error :/ I have data logging on, but I haven't pulled the log yet. Maybe I will do that tonight. I'd like to see how high it revved.

But I didn't catch the broken pump then. I noticed oil pressure was about 8 psi lower then normal on the gauge. the next morning, running late for work, jumped in and took off. Made it almost to work and it started knocking. So I shut it off and coasted for a minute, started it back up and it cranked slow, once it started the oil pressure gauge wouldn't budge from 0. Shut back off immediately and towed it home.

Shit sucks. But oh well.

#542 ·
damn dude that sucks.
i hope you get it going again soon! let us know how high it reved when you get a chance to bring up your log

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.