b20 block b16 head - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Everything Else Serious discussion/debate

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 05:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98cxhatch  is accepted as part of the community98cxhatch  is accepted as part of the community98cxhatch  is accepted as part of the community98cxhatch  is accepted as part of the community
Exclamation b20 block b16 head

I am about to trade my ek for a DA with a b20 block and b16 head. (sorry guys i'm going dual)

I just want to know from experience, how high would i be able to take the rpms?

http://i599.photobucket.com/albums/t...0/theater2.jpg
98cxhatch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2010, 05:42 PM   #2 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....

the sky is the limit.
95 civic coupe ex. Vitara-hbeam Z6
New Project Built Turbo F2B F22A nonvtec into civic
93 Accord SE 4dr black9stock)
Owner @ Grab-a-Nekbrace ENT like us on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/grabanekbrace
sick1camcivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 7 slowhatch91 will become famous soon enoughslowhatch91 will become famous soon enoughslowhatch91 will become famous soon enough

lol sooo vague. there is a lot to determine how high you can (and should) rev lol
slowhatch91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 06:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
El Noob

Rep Power: 22 LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....
LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....LoSt GhoSt Still a JDM Star....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sick1camcivic View Post
the sky is the limit.
lol Some of these responses lately are hella funny.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series lover

Rep Power: 6 98cxhatch  is accepted as part of the community98cxhatch  is accepted as part of the community98cxhatch  is accepted as part of the community98cxhatch  is accepted as part of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowhatch91 View Post
lol sooo vague. there is a lot to determine how high you can (and should) rev lol
bone stock b20 bone stock b16A
ys1 b16A tranny

Old 03-13-2010, 08:10 PM   #6 (permalink)

sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....sick1camcivic is almost there....

ive heard 8k on b20's, but im by no means a dohc guy. and i know there are a few diff types of b20's. which do you have?
Old 03-13-2010, 08:13 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
ive heard 8k on b20's, but im by no means a dohc guy. and i know there are a few diff types of b20's. which do you have?
sorry b20b block b16A head

Old 03-13-2010, 08:14 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series lover

redline on b20b is 6300 rpm
redline on b16A is 8100 rpm

Old 03-13-2010, 08:17 PM   #9 (permalink)

yeah from what i just looked up 8 sounds about the round about. some are saying 9000rpms, but id be more concerned with the b16a dropping a valve, they are known for it.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
yeah from what i just looked up 8 sounds about the round about. some are saying 9000rpms, but id be more concerned with the b16a dropping a valve, they are known for it.
it has dropped before on the previous owner..
he had it rebuilt 1500 miles ago. some people have told me to not go past 6500-7000 rpms unless the block is built..

Old 03-13-2010, 08:22 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 7 jamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatnessjamato0331 is approaching greatness

well an ls redlines at about 7k stock, and the b20 is the same stroke, so probably right around there would be safe.

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure, when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." - Patrick Henry
jamato0331 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 D2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunnaD2ZBOY is da #1 stunna

Yeah don't rev iv that high u gonna break something on it.
D2ZBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

well on honda tech alot of SHOP OWNERS who have sent out plenty of stock b20v setups say 8000rpms-9000rpms. id deff take it to 8k rpms atleast. my friend has a b20v tuned by RLZ im pretty sure he takes his to 8200rpms. stock b20 bottom. not sure which b20.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #14 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 36 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

do you have pix of this DA?

Hope it's worth it

why?

Your Hatch is Clean Son!
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #15 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
well on honda tech alot of SHOP OWNERS who have sent out plenty of stock b20v setups say 8000rpms-9000rpms. id deff take it to 8k rpms atleast. my friend has a b20v tuned by RLZ im pretty sure he takes his to 8200rpms. stock b20 bottom. not sure which b20.
i'm thinking i'm gonna tune it before i do any redlining lol
the guy drove it with me in the car and he took it up to 8k and it has some balls lol

Old 03-13-2010, 08:28 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2ZBOY View Post
Yeah don't rev iv that high u gonna break something on it.
prove it. causee...

boostin4fun
Boosted ls/vtec ohh yeah!

Ride: EM1 EBP boosted ls/vtec, EM1 EBP Daily Driver
boostin4fun has a spectacular aura aboutboostin4fun has a spectacular aura about

We tuned a guys b20/vtec and it was the exact same setup you have. Stock bottom end with stock b16 head. The cams quit making power at 7300 rpms. So reving to the b16's factory redline of 8200 would be the smartest thing to do. Cams might help you make more power on the topend, however this engine combination does not have very high compression. So gsr or type r cams are the most I would go with, without a jump in compression. Hope this helps.
boostin4fun is offline Reply With Quote

SkyGuy
mankind can be stupid.

Ride: 1993 delsol and a 1994 delsol (wrecked but i still got it)
SkyGuy is on a distinguished road

it seems to make plenty of power ALL the way up to 9000rpm's. the shop that got the bottom and top end for him said he CAN rev up that high no problem. they even have his engine under warranty and they sold him the ecu that lets him rev up that high. the shop said "yes you start getting into those higher rpm's you are risking grenading the motor but i wouldnt worry to much about it until 9500rpm's and once you replace LMA's with type R's LMA's and upgrade the valve train you can go up to 10,000rpm's. you are still in risk of grenading the engine but no matter what you do reving that high your risking grenading the engine" but like i said they have his engine under warranty KNOWING he can rev to 9,200 RPM's.

But I do see alot of people saying replace ARP rod bolts and you are golden to w/e the head can handle.

Last edited by sick1camcivic; 03-13-2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #17 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
do you have pix of this DA?

Hope it's worth it

why?

Your Hatch is Clean Son!
i know, i know, but i just want something different.. ill get pics soon. its not the cleanest shell but the engine sure is worth it.

i also got offered an eg with a d15b with brand new auto x's!! but i think i just wanna go dual

Old 03-13-2010, 08:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
\/ apply baby lotion here \/

Rep Power: 36 Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !Pata is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98cxhatch View Post
but i think i just wanna go dual
well then do a swap on your Hatch. You'll find yourself having that feeling of a new Whip anyways.
Pata is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2010, 08:32 PM   #19 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
prove it. causee...

boostin4fun
Boosted ls/vtec ohh yeah!

Ride: EM1 EBP boosted ls/vtec, EM1 EBP Daily Driver
boostin4fun has a spectacular aura aboutboostin4fun has a spectacular aura about

We tuned a guys b20/vtec and it was the exact same setup you have. Stock bottom end with stock b16 head. The cams quit making power at 7300 rpms. So reving to the b16's factory redline of 8200 would be the smartest thing to do. Cams might help you make more power on the topend, however this engine combination does not have very high compression. So gsr or type r cams are the most I would go with, without a jump in compression. Hope this helps.
boostin4fun is offline Reply With Quote

SkyGuy
mankind can be stupid.

Ride: 1993 delsol and a 1994 delsol (wrecked but i still got it)
SkyGuy is on a distinguished road

it seems to make plenty of power ALL the way up to 9000rpm's. the shop that got the bottom and top end for him said he CAN rev up that high no problem. they even have his engine under warranty and they sold him the ecu that lets him rev up that high. the shop said "yes you start getting into those higher rpm's you are risking grenading the motor but i wouldnt worry to much about it until 9500rpm's and once you replace LMA's with type R's LMA's and upgrade the valve train you can go up to 10,000rpm's. you are still in risk of grenading the engine but no matter what you do reving that high your risking grenading the engine" but like i said they have his engine under warranty KNOWING he can rev to 9,200 RPM's.
i know this is a very noob question to ask, but.... what are lma's i've tried to look for the definition but can't find one..

Old 03-13-2010, 08:33 PM   #20 (permalink)
D-series lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pata View Post
well then do a swap on your Hatch. You'll find yourself having that feeling of a new Whip anyways.
no dinero for a swap and i'm horrible at saving money

i've had this hatch for 2 years now so idk.. i may back out last minute

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification