Honda D Series Forum banner

Turbonetics turbo

3K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sprockmember 
#1 ·
I bought a new Turbonetics ball bearing t3/t40b turbo in May. Within 300 miles I had ruined it by running to high of psi and basically beating the ever living hell out of it. . I ruined the bearings, both wheels and possibly the compressor housing. I emailed Turbonetics and told them exactly how I caused the damage to the turbo. They had me send it in for a rebuild. 3 weeks later I receive a new turbo. No part of it was rebuilt from my old one. Now that is how you make a customer for life. I had already bought a new one once they said they'd rebuild my old one for free but I didn't expect an all new turbo. They're one year warranty is great with no questions asked. I will now recommend Turbonetics turbos to anyone who asks.

#2 ·
The replacement was free?

I don't really understand this part:
I had ruined it by running to high of psi and basically beating the ever living hell out of it. . I ruined the bearings, both wheels and possibly the compressor housing
How do you destroy bearings, comp wheel + housing, and the turbine wheel by running "too high of psi"?

#3 ·
Yes the replacement was free. The turbo was rated at about 22psi max on the d15 and that would be short lived. I was running up around 26-28psi at 8k rpm. It was way out of its efficiency.

#6 · (Edited)
T3T04B 28psi
After talking to turbonetics, 22psi is the max it should go on the d16. It's past its efficiency at that point. Remember I do not drag race these turbos, I road race and hill climb them. 19-20psi seems to be perfect for it as of right now. The t28, disco potato clone, I had failed over 24psi.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.