JDM D15B VTEC Identification - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Naturally Aspirated

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2006, 04:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
uasg

Default JDM D15B VTEC Identification

HI
Can anyone tell me how to differentiate between a VTEC and VTEC-E head in a JDM D15B . I know that VTEC-E is mentioned on the head cover but I what to know some other way to identify this , because head cover can always be swapped . And as I am going to buy this engine I want to make sure I buy the one with the simple VTEC implementation as its 130hp compared to the VTEC-E which is I think 90-100hp .
  Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2006, 04:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Want access???

Rep Power: 50 modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !modsHXcivi is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Hit submit botton Once ....

Vtec-e is designed to save gas....
modsHXcivi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 04:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-Series Post Be-itch... gimme gimme gimme

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano

Better yet, search.
Richie_A_19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 09:41 AM   #4 (permalink)

Vtec cam has an extra lobe(3) and a mid rocker arm were as the Vtec-e only has 2 lobes and no mid rocker arm.
i have read this somewhere. Im not sure how you can identify this by looking at an open head (with the head cover removed).perhaps if someone can post a picture that would be much helpfull.
usm121 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 10:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
uasg

im new to this and its hard for me to identify that....but i just read a post in which a person said to open your valve cover and see if it has roller rockers, if it has then its a VTEC-E.

well i dont understand what Roller rockers mean. Please can someone explain this.
thanks.
Old 06-14-2006, 11:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Richie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcanoRichie_A_19 is hot as a volcano

google it

Here is a pic

Negative REP left for not looking yourself
Old 06-14-2006, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)
D-series WTF?!?!

Rep Power: 16 MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano
MiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcanoMiloReaper87 is hot as a volcano

DAMn was with the bad mood everyone???
Check my photographyhttp://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...atedreaper.gif
http://www.d-series.org/forums/showcase/43515-shot-my-first-big-thing-project-wise.html
http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h3...r_miloPSTV.png
CAUTION: Remoer and myself may on a verbal war
MiloReaper87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not a bad mood, just tired of people wanting others to do all the work for them.
Old 06-14-2006, 03:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-Series Destruction Master

Rep Power: 31 f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !f00ker is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richie_A_19
Not a bad mood, just tired of people wanting others to do all the work for them.
i'll remember your neg repping a n00b, next time I feel like being a dick in your direction.

Not everybody knows what roller-rockers are, just because you do, doesn't mean that he does. Search is a great function, but with all V-bulletin boards, SEARCH SUCKS DONKEY BALLS and is a little more difficult to filter with than google.

Either be a mature helpful poster, or dont post at all.

and a note to myself before ryan or beretta steps in..."LET THE MODERATORS MOD, NO BACKSEAT MODERATION"
Old 06-14-2006, 03:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 9 bigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Boratbigfoot smells like Borat

Quote:
X1429375435765987:sadface:
^^^^i think bigfoot found his way out the woods
http://www.mdstreetscene.com/gallery.../bigfoot_3.jpg
SPELLING IS NOT MY STRONG POINT
bigfoot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 05:37 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00ker
i'll remember your neg repping a n00b, next time I feel like being a dick in your direction.

Not everybody knows what roller-rockers are, just because you do, doesn't mean that he does. Search is a great function, but with all V-bulletin boards, SEARCH SUCKS DONKEY BALLS and is a little more difficult to filter with than google.

Either be a mature helpful poster, or dont post at all.

and a note to myself before ryan or beretta steps in..."LET THE MODERATORS MOD, NO BACKSEAT MODERATION"
I know, VB searches blow elephants. Thats why I use Google to look for stuff. And thats all I expect from others.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 9 JoelAllenClear is learning the way of the DJoelAllenClear is learning the way of the D

Quote:
I know, VB searches blow elephants. Thats why I use Google to look for stuff. And thats all I expect from others.
Just because that's how YOU do it, doesn't mean that's how others are going to do it. Maybe he came here because he thought he'd get a DIRECT answer, not just some random google answers.

+ Props and Rep to Fooker for being generous.
Note: All of my posts are of my opinion. Please do not quote me on anything I say because there is a chance I may be wrong. I am learning, just like a lot of you are. I will try to help with anything I possibly can.
JoelAllenClear is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 06:28 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelAllenClear
Maybe he came here because he thought he'd get a DIRECT answer
IE: someone doing all the work for them.

P.S. How was fooker generous?? by giving him the answer?? Showing him a pic of what a roller rocker was?? :noway:
Old 06-14-2006, 08:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
D-series lover

he asked an easy way to identify the type of vtec on a d15b, not for you guys to argue bulletin board etiquette.
talk about a thread jack.
slowpoke-eg8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2006, 09:18 PM   #15 (permalink)
uasg

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpoke-eg8
he asked an easy way to identify the type of vtec on a d15b, not for you guys to argue bulletin board etiquette.
talk about a thread jack.

thanks man...so is there some easy way to identify the type of vtec...plz help
someone told me you can get the answer here....so i joined this forum.
Old 06-15-2006, 10:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Technically, not without taking the valve cover off and looking at the cam/ LMA.

Yes there are ways, like looking at the engine code, or the head code, but if you don't trust the owner, or just want to be sure, the only way is looking at the cam.

SOHC VTEC (the performance kind) notice 5 lobes per cylinder

SOHC VTEC-e only has 4 lobes
Old 06-15-2006, 11:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
uasg

Quote:
Technically, not without taking the valve cover off and looking at the cam/ LMA.

Yes there are ways, like looking at the engine code, or the head code, but if you don't trust the owner, or just want to be sure, the only way is looking at the cam.

SOHC VTEC (the performance kind) notice 5 lobes per cylinder

SOHC VTEC-e only has 4 lobes
Thanks a lot for your help man .This information is great, and the VTEC mechanism is quiet clear to me now.
Old 06-15-2006, 11:12 AM   #18 (permalink)
Lifetime Awesome Member

Rep Power: 436 ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !ryan89crx is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

simple way without removing valve cover...

vtec-e headstamp will be p07
vtec will be p08

Delta Cam, best bang for your buck!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2.../made_Ryan.png
ryan89crx is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2006, 10:25 AM   #19 (permalink)
uasg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan89crx
simple way without removing valve cover...

vtec-e headstamp will be p07
vtec will be p08

you are right on that but actually headcodes are quiet confusing to me .For example one of my friend has a JDM D15B with headcode PO8-3 9/3 which is actually a d16z6 US model head .and here we only have engines from japan , nothing comes from US.so how is this possible.

Thats why i wanted to check the internals to be 100% sure about what im buying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification