b16a just doesnt pull anymore :( - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Naturally Aspirated

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 braxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to all
Default b16a just doesnt pull anymore :(

I have been having this weird problem the past couple of days. I ordered my b16a sir2 off of hmotorsonline and everything has been great except I didn't have vtec at first. Replaced the speed sensor, no problem. Vtec pulled hard. Litteraly I'm not exagerating when I say it felt like a sort of turbo lag. Vtec pulled a lot harder than the smaller profile. So everythings going great and I fix my wideband so I can run my p28 with ectune instead of the jdm p30. So I take out my p30 and put in the p28. From that point on, vtec actually feels like it pulls less than the smaller cam profile.. its litterally a massive disappointment. So I figure the timing map must not be right and advance it a little on the vtec map at WOT. It pulled just as it used to, but the map had flaws because it just felt choppy at points while driving. So I put the p30 back in because there's really no reason to run a less aggressive map. Now it just quit pulling in vtec all together. It barely chirps second when it used to scream into second. So I check my oil, oil level is full, and I can hear vtec engaging. But it simply just isn't doing anything. I took a look at my wideband and at WOT in vtec it actually went to a 10.9 for a split second then jumped up to low 12s. I don't know if that's what it was at before when it was pulling hard or not, I didn't pay attention. So I figured maybe my ecu was messed up and put the p28 back in. And even it doesn't pull hard in vtec. I really don't know what could be going on. It ran fine one day now it doesn't. Anyone have any clues? All help is greatly appreciated.
Stanced Dope Status Delly Build
braxtonsag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2011, 08:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 baajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eagle

You know for a fact the solenoid is engaging?
baajaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 08:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 17 Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!
Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!

Cam timing. Check it.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 braxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to allbraxtonsag is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by baajaa View Post
You know for a fact the solenoid is engaging?
the car gets noticeably louder. So I'm ALMOST positive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
Cam timing. Check it.
Would it really jump a tooth that easy? This timing cover is going to be a bitch to pull off
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe its time for a d16z6 swap
Darkman6909 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 17 Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!
Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!Full_Tilt is the fucking MAN!!!!

It can jump, yes.

Its easy to check. just put the engine at TDC and the pull the valve cover off. the cam gears have little marks that point inward at each other and the arrows should be pointed vertically.

Last edited by Full_Tilt; 11-02-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Full_Tilt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Rep Power: 26 Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....
Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....Black91CRXsi Still a JDM Star....

B-series...lol

"I don't want it. I just need it. To feel, to breathe, to know I'm alive."

R.I.P - Pat Primmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_bobos View Post
Beat them, cheat on them, treat them like shit and you'll get a hot woman that won't ever leave you. Women are a stupid breed that don't use fucking sense.
Black91CRXsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:09 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full_Tilt View Post
It can jump, yes.

Its easy to check. just put the engine at TDC and the pull the valve cover off. the cam gears have little marks that point inward at each other and the arrows should be pointed vertically.
I knew it could jump I just don't see how stock motor could put enough torque to make it jump. I will definately check though..
Old 11-02-2011, 09:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

psjones13 It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxtonsag View Post
Litteraly I'm not exagerating when I say it felt like a sort of turbo lag. .. its litterally a massive disappointment.
Literally

lol

Maybe try putting the p30 back in it and watch those afr's when its pulling hard so you have something to compare against. Good luck

On-going DD turbo project: http://www.d-series.org/forums/enter...s-build-4.html
I live for the Funk

R.I.P. PatPrimmer
psjones13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 baajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eaglebaajaa is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by braxtonsag View Post
the car gets noticeably louder. So I'm ALMOST positive.

Would it really jump a tooth that easy? This timing cover is going to be a bitch to pull off
My exhaust tone makes 3 noticeable changes in exhaust note at full throttle. It changes at 4500 and 6500. Yet there's no vtack because it's a y7. Check to see if the solenoid is getting power.
baajaa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-Series cadet

Rep Power: 5 jumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Boratjumpncrash smells like Borat

Quote:
Originally Posted by psjones13 View Post
Literally

lol

Maybe try putting the p30 back in it and watch those afr's when its pulling hard so you have something to compare against. Good luck
He said it doesn't pull hard with the p30 now either, so that won't help
jumpncrash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 5 v8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatness

check timing and compression
Old 11-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

I checked timing, and what a surprise.. The crank pulley mark is dead on with the timing cover, but my cam gears "up" mark on BOTH cams are facing downward.. wtf.. Is it even supposed to run like that?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #14 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Wait im a dumbass... brb. let me go spin the crank around 1 more time
Old 11-03-2011, 09:58 AM   #15 (permalink)
Im Bringing TSEXY Back!

Rep Power: 27 T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !T-MacK is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Big surprise you bought a motor offine and I bet it was guranteed to have less then 40,000kms?

The first thing anybody should do if you are forced to buy an engine offline is comp test it. Find out what condition the engine is really in. 9 times out of 10 they will/should get a mild rebuild.

I would check the timing then once the timing cover is off just keep the bottom piece on and leave the top open. This will give you access to your cangears without the hassle and the bottom piece on will keep rocks out of your timing belt.

Hella Flush.....Were waiting!

Xbox gamer tag: THErealTMACK
T-MacK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:21 AM   #16 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 15 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!

comp test maybe hg take off rad cap start car if water shoots out its hg

ign timing?

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-MacK View Post
Big surprise you bought a motor offine and I bet it was guranteed to have less then 40,000kms?

The first thing anybody should do if you are forced to buy an engine offline is comp test it. Find out what condition the engine is really in. 9 times out of 10 they will/should get a mild rebuild.

I would check the timing then once the timing cover is off just keep the bottom piece on and leave the top open. This will give you access to your cangears without the hassle and the bottom piece on will keep rocks out of your timing belt.
Hmotorsonline is a very reputable company though? Thats actually why i went to them. And the timing is DEAD on.. The car ran amazing for a couple days and now its very sluggish after switching ecus, even after i switched back it was still sluggish. I just dont understand how that could have affected anything.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #18 (permalink)
D-series G0D

xile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcanoxile6 is hot as a volcano

What was the compression? Does it smoke any?
Also if you where running the p28 without a b16 map on it then you where leaning out the motor. Which could of caused some problems.

But yea check the comp and maybe do a leak down test to see if the rings are going. Also check your plugs if they dont fire you dont get smooth power.
Round 2 Runing!!!
xile6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:43 AM   #19 (permalink)
my dd has 1800 ftlbs of torque

Rep Power: 15 Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!
Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!Tibby is the fucking MAN!!!!

reputable yes but my zc used a quart every 3 weeks which dont seem like alot but i think it is

ak riding shotgun literally

autox/ touge ej1
Built 12.5 d., ac, pic selects, itr sway, wide wheels, more bracing than a dentist office lol

09 Chevy 3500hd crew cab long bed 4x4 just because I felt like it
Tibby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2011, 10:57 AM   #20 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 5 v8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatnessv8killaz is approaching greatness

yeah i had a b16 from hmo and it was the best running and looking b16 i have ever seen in my life period. you couldnt even hear it, it was quiet. and the block was shiny like it came from the factory. seemed like it had 5k miles on it. i wouldnt doubt it either
they put the hmo stamp on their engines.

line up both cam gear up first.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification