The Delcamino needs a motor... Hmm, Beast7 time? - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org Motor Mayhem & Suspension Satisfaction Naturally Aspirated

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2010, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....
Default The Delcamino needs a motor... Hmm, Beast7 time?

Soooo, My B7 is using lots of oil and antifreeze and is feeling less powerful in the last 3000ish miles. About a quart of oil every 3-4 gas tank fulls and the last three weeks I've filled the radiator twice. It never has before used anything, this is all of a sudden, it's got 252,000 and I never change the oil, redline it daily, tow with it, and generally treat it like crap, so I'm not surprised it's on its way out. Still runs great though and I'm currently getting 37mpg cause I'm babying it does it doesn't blow before I get a replacement. =D

I got my eye on a B7 in a 95 hatch with 114,000 miles for $400 at the local salvage yard. With my plan I swap the motors, then take my time to rebuild the old original Beater7 into a

BEAST7

I guess I just want someones input on:
1. Building a Beast7 will be cheaper then other motors.
2. Easier to install then any other motors cause that's what's in the car already.
3. This seems to be the most hassle free, economical way to build a motor while I still get to drive my car everyday for a year or more.

Thanks guys!
Nitrous Express Wet Kit
Hackpro Custom one-off tow hitch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJnWorldWide View Post
You win at everything forever!
jeremy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 72 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Build another bullet to drop in or just drop in the $400 one, find a new head, rebuild the shortblock.

Valve guides are toasted, cracked head, cheaper to just toss the head or use it as a core.

My Beast7 (the original) is sitting in the corner awaiting teardown this weekend. The head is junk. To do it up right would be $500+ and thats no porting or anything. The block needs bored and honed, I bought some 75.5mm pistons and bearings for cheap to handle that.

Then I find out the bearings I bought with the pistons....were the ones I had sold when I abandoned the D15Baby8 build.

It was meant to be I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....jeremy85 is almost there....

I'm hoping the head is not cracked and that the head gasket is starting to fail so I don't have to source a new one. You think the oil is burning thru the valve guides? It doesn't smoke on start up, only when I'm hammering on it. I thought it might be coming up past the rings. I'm going to check the compression soon, I have numbers saved from a compression check I did 3 years/40,000 miles ago after a summer of nitrous abuse, haven't ran n2o since then, just daily driving. Old numbers were all above 190 iirc.

BTW, I check last night for leaks of oil and antifreeze and couldn't find anything, this motor is clean for 1/4 million miles. =) So it must be eating it from somewhere. No oil in the antifreeze, no antifreeze in the oil either. And it runs so friggin mint! =D
Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 09-15-2010, 04:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

AutoXCivic It's a JDM Star Bitches....AutoXCivic It's a JDM Star Bitches....AutoXCivic It's a JDM Star Bitches....AutoXCivic It's a JDM Star Bitches....AutoXCivic It's a JDM Star Bitches....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy85 View Post
I'm hoping the head is not cracked and that the head gasket is starting to fail so I don't have to source a new one. You think the oil is burning thru the valve guides? It doesn't smoke on start up, only when I'm hammering on it. I thought it might be coming up past the rings. I'm going to check the compression soon, I have numbers saved from a compression check I did 3 years/40,000 miles ago after a summer of nitrous abuse, haven't ran n2o since then, just daily driving. Old numbers were all above 190 iirc.

BTW, I check last night for leaks of oil and antifreeze and couldn't find anything, this motor is clean for 1/4 million miles. =) So it must be eating it from somewhere. No oil in the antifreeze, no antifreeze in the oil either. And it runs so friggin mint! =D
If the head does turn out to be cracked ... I have one I can box up for you.

My Build Thread ... now with boost

My other build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pballer2005 View Post
barrel roll in airplane > barrel roll in nsx
AutoXCivic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 12:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 5 weise is almost a somebodyweise is almost a somebodyweise is almost a somebodyweise is almost a somebody

do it!

boost it though

16.7@78.62mph D16Y7,Y8 I.M.,DC header.full interior
weise is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-16-2010, 05:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
D-series soldier

eh, no boost for the Deli.
Boost will be in the Wifey's Forester.....can you say 5speed, turbo, all wheel drive, wagon, sleeper. Coming soon...
There is one at the drags that does mid 12's, it's sick! Modded for sure.
Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just do a simple refresh on the engine I'm In the process of re ringing my block
Old 09-16-2010, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
D-series PIMP

Rep Power: 12 cticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eaglecticknor666 is fly like an eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy85 View Post
eh, no boost for the Deli.
Boost will be in the Wifey's Forester.....can you say 5speed, turbo, all wheel drive, wagon, sleeper. Coming soon...
There is one at the drags that does mid 12's, it's sick! Modded for sure.
Some are already boosted tho (stock), doesn't take much for em.
cticknor666 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 10:18 AM   #9 (permalink)
D-series soldier

B7 questions:
No difference in auto vs manual, right? or was there a cam difference?
1995 only year that came with A6 valve springs?
Are these interference motors?
(There was one at the salvage yard with low mileage for cheap but no timing belt on it.)
Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
All powerful D-series member

Rep Power: 8 mattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatness

interference? yes

auto to manual? ecu differences only, no physical except throttlebody

mid 93 A6 springs, B7 ran out

DO A D16A6 cam swap! if you "tow" n at least get more power and slightly more gas mileage from the extra torque

1992 Camry AT - - - 2013 Fit MT
FUCK SKUNK2
D compression?
http://www.zealautowerks.com/dseries.html

why swap? build what you have!

Tune your setup
Turboedit -OBD0
Crome/Neptune -OBD1
mattliston is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattliston View Post
interference? yes
See, at the yard the B7 engine i was looking at had no timing belt. So I tried spinning the motor over by turning the flywheel and could spin it several times, leading me to believe it wasn't. Are you sure?

I had an 88 MR2, timing belt broke at highway speed, everyone said the motor is junk now cause it's an interference motor. I put a new timing belt on it and drove it for another 50,000 miles. So.... IDK.
LostGhost? =]
Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 09-18-2010, 07:15 PM   #12 (permalink)

Rep Power: 8 mattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatnessmattliston is approaching greatness

all honda D and B series motors are interference, where free spinning either shaft will snatch a valve

one exception, the LS b18. they tend to be safe during a timing belt slip.

FUCK SKUNK2
D compression?

Tune your setup
Turboedit -OBD0
Crome/Neptune -OBD1
Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 AM   #13 (permalink)
D-series soldier

So how do you explain that I was able to spin the crank over and over again without the pistons hitting the valves when here is no timing belt connecting the 2? I spun the crank at least 10 times. Then put a wrench on the cam and turned it 4ish times.

I'm sorry but I'm kinda getting the "believe nothing you hear and half you see" feeling. Just like I did on my MR2. =]
Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 72 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Was the valves already tagged or was it in that perfect spot?

Quote:
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Old 09-19-2010, 05:10 AM   #15 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Quote:
Originally Posted by transzex View Post
Was the valves already tagged or was it in that perfect spot?
IDK but I seen the valves going up and down thru the ports.
Doesn't matter really, I'm not getting that motor unless they want to give it to me for free. I just look at and get a bad vibe from it.
Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 09-19-2010, 05:25 AM   #16 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

if valves were moving without a timing belt that was the pistons tagging them.

runaway!

Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-19-2010, 06:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
D-series soldier

nooo, they were moving when I was turning the cam. I watched for the clean shiny part of the stem to go completely up into the valve guide, if it doesn't then they are definitely bent.
Nitrous Express Wet Kit

Quote:
Old 09-19-2010, 10:44 AM   #18 (permalink)

when cold you might not touch

thermal expansion makes em touch

My d15b7 valves touched when hot

never tried it cold though

from the factory the sit in the hole, and they do have the biggest d series headgasket

FUCK SKUNK2
D compression?

Tune your setup
Turboedit -OBD0
Crome/Neptune -OBD1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification