Honda Engine D16Y3 Interfernce/Non-Interference engine - D-series.org

Go Back   D-series.org D-series Knowledge Factory General Tech

D-Series.org is the premier Honda Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2008, 01:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Question Honda Engine D16Y3 Interfernce/Non-Interference engine

My 1997 Rover has a Honda D16Y3 engine(Honda owned Rover thru the 1990's) and the timing belt just snapped. My wife was driving it at low speed at the time...I thought it was an electrical problem at the time and was checking the Distributor when I realized the Rotor was not turning as I hand cranked the crankshaft...I took off the rocker cover and discovered the timing belt had broken...it had seemed relatively easy to hand crank the engine and there seemed no obvious damage to the valve/rocker assembly...Do I need to take the head off to do a visual or can I just go ahead and change the belt...so ,is this engine an Interference or Non-interference engine...thanks for any help
jbleakley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2008, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
D-series post SLUT

Rep Power: 9 RandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to allRandysSOHC is a name known to all

this would be an interference engine...
but really all you gotta do is take the head off & see if you bent the valves..(which is most likley...)

if so...buy another head...possible a cheap junkyard head...have it checked if you could (to make sure the head itself is not bent)
buy a new head gasket
put the head on
put the engine in time & put on a new timing belt & your good to go
Old 03-09-2008, 01:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
D-series soldier

Rep Power: 12 13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness13g-crx is approaching greatness

I've always said that it will always bend a valve, but I've been proven wrong twice in the last month. Go figure.
13g-crx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-09-2008, 11:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
D-series lover

my buddy bought an a6 that had broken a timing belt at idle. Put a new belt, tensioner and water pump and runs to this day like a top.
hondainspired is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 06:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

yea mine snapped this weekend and i had no bent valves either, its kinda hit or miss i guess
sprayedsol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2008, 06:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

Rep Power: 7 tepco will become famous soon enoughtepco will become famous soon enoughtepco will become famous soon enough

Put pressure in the cylinder rotate it to TDC and see if it holds it, or not.

I run 2stroke oil in my crank case because it burns cleaner

Rep Up!!
tepco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-05-2011, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Found this thread through a search so I'm going to revive it for info purposes. Just had my D engine rebuilt (had 200k) and the shop discovered a bent valve. I'd been driving it this way forever, never broke a belt that I know of but I bought the car at 135k. Anyway it did make an annoying tapping. Couldn't tell by looking at the valve that it was bent except that it was worn funny where it seats. I tested the compression before and it was ok for so many miles. I have a slight headgasket issue right before the rebuild (the reason for it) so possibly the coolant in the cylinder bent or warped the valve, however the car still ran ok except for slight coolant loss leading to overheating (never went to the red, not even white smoke out the pipe, just bubbles in the radiator).
Old 05-05-2011, 11:27 PM   #8 (permalink)
D Tranny Guru

Rep Power: 77 transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !
transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !transzex is on a level you can only DREAM about! ! !

Quote:
Originally Posted by strategy400 View Post
Found this thread through a search so I'm going to revive it for info purposes. Just had my D engine rebuilt (had 200k) and the shop discovered a bent valve. I'd been driving it this way forever, never broke a belt that I know of but I bought the car at 135k. Anyway it did make an annoying tapping. Couldn't tell by looking at the valve that it was bent except that it was worn funny where it seats. I tested the compression before and it was ok for so many miles. I have a slight headgasket issue right before the rebuild (the reason for it) so possibly the coolant in the cylinder bent or warped the valve, however the car still ran ok except for slight coolant loss leading to overheating (never went to the red, not even white smoke out the pipe, just bubbles in the radiator).
Might have a cracked head near a valve seat which led to the weird wear issue due to the valve seat shifting around.

BTW, Thank you for using the search function, if it brings up an old thread, then so be it!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patprimmer RIP
I will always feed an inquisitive mind, prod a lazy noob and blast a disrespectful bum.
Quote:
Anyplace , Anywhere , Anytime
transzex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2011, 07:24 AM   #9 (permalink)
n00b

I'm assuming the mach. shop checked for cracks. All they reported was a bent valve. It's a D15B7 - 95 Del Sol. They also did nothing to my cam/rocker assy. Is this normal? They said it was - "Oh you never mess with that stuff". I'm hearing a very faint tapping in the engine (800 miles so far). Could that be worn rockers?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the D-series.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Image Verification